Trump's Cabinet

NYCKY

Why on earth would anyone want this job? Only some washed up politico would want it.

In less than two years, this is Trumps third chief of staff. He is already on his 2nd AG, 3rd National Security Advisor, 2nd US ambassador, 2nd press spokesperson, 2nd Secretary of State, 2nd Homeland Security Secretary, 2nd HHS Secretary, 2nd VA Secretary and there are rumors of even more, Sarah Sanders, Mattis at Defense and Nielsen at Homeland Security.

The way he toys publicly about keeping them on or replacing them is absurd and his treatment of Jeff Sessions was particularly abject and shameful. Sessions was the first Senator to endorse him when the party was wary of him, stood by Trump in some dark times and was solid on Trumps own positions on things like immigration. Well for what it's worth, Sessions seat is now held by a Democrat at least for another two years.

Trump would drop Pence and throw him under the bus if he thought it would better help him win reelection.

Dame_Enda

I think it would make more sense - not politically but rather in terms of Trumps apparent vision of this position - to appoint Jared Kushner as Chief of Staff. Because it has become clear that if you fall out with Kushner and Ivanka, the sun of presidential good favour will not shine upon you. Kelly seems to have crossed swords with Jarvanka. So he might as well appoint Kushner.

However it makes no political sense, given the stench of scandal that seems to follow Jared around, the latest being the phonecall telling MBS how to 'weather this storm'.

NYCKY

I think it would make more sense - not politically but rather in terms of Trumps apparent vision of this position - to appoint Jared Kushner as Chief of Staff. Because it has become clear that if you fall out with Kushner and Ivanka, the sun of presidential good favour will not shine upon you. Kelly seems to have crossed swords with Jarvanka. So he might as well appoint Kushner.

However it makes no political sense, given the stench of scandal that seems to follow Jared around, the latest being the phonecall telling MBS how to 'weather this storm'.
The pair do seem to wield some Rasputin like influence on Trump. Steve Bannon called them Javanka and Rex Tillerson called them the Royal Family. Like John Kelly, both Bannon and Tillerson are gone but Jared and Ivanka are still there.

wombat

The pair do seem to wield some Rasputin like influence on Trump. Steve Bannon called them Javanka and Rex Tillerson called them the Royal Family. Like John Kelly, both Bannon and Tillerson are gone but Jared and Ivanka are still there.
There may be a quite simple explanation as to why people are turning down Trump job offers - political ambition. Unless the Democrats select a complete nutter, always a possibility, Trump will not be reelected. He may even decide not to run again. Why would any ambitious politician, or wanabee politician jump aboard a leaking ship?

Dame_Enda

They also blocked Chris Christie from a position in the admin, and got Trump to tear up Christie's exhaustive list of proposed appointments he had drawn up when he was managing the WH transition. The result was countless Obama holdovers remained in position to leak and investigate Trump. Jared has a grudge against Christie for sending his dad to jail as a US Attorney under Bush. Its also possible Bridgegate played a role.

NYCKY

There may be a quite simple explanation as to why people are turning down Trump job offers - political ambition. Unless the Democrats select a complete nutter, always a possibility, Trump will not be reelected. He may even decide not to run again. Why would any ambitious politician, or wanabee politician jump aboard a leaking ship?
While I agree that it's a distinct possibility that Trump doesn't run again, we are two years past the time to stop underestimating Trump. Look at the GOP field of candidates Trump buzz sawed through in 2016, he rarely lost that lead and he still beat HRC, that the media and the pundits (including Obama) had anointed as the most qualified candidate ever.

Trump can absolutely win re-election, whether he does or not remains to be seen but can he win, "yes we can" oops I mean yes he can.

petaljam

While I agree that it's a distinct possibility that Trump doesn't run again, we are two years past the time to stop underestimating Trump. Look at the GOP field of candidates Trump buzz sawed through in 2016, he rarely lost that lead and he still beat HRC, that the media and the pundits (including Obama) had anointed as the most qualified candidate ever.

Trump can absolutely win re-election, whether he does or not remains to be seen but can he win, "yes we can" oops I mean yes he can.
At this stage, the possibility that he won due to the democratic processes with having been subverted by outside influences cannot be dismissed (whether or not he was directly aware of it). In which case, it's not a matter of underestimating Trump, but of not taking the full measure of Russia's meddling.

Levellers

I would welcome Christie as it will provide hours of fun watching him feud with Kushner.

owedtojoy

Budget Chief Mike Mulvaney in as "Acting" Chief of Staff to the President of the United States.

It is the humiliating end to a brief and mediocre career in public service. Mulvaney's other job was head of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, in which he made sure Banks and Credit Card companies could gouge the Trump voters, and others, that they lure into debt peonage.

How much time before he too crawls to hide his shame at being associated with the shambolic clown car they call the "White House"? But, he can say "F**k You, I have mine!" as he lands a job as a financial lobbyist.

Jack Walsh

Oh, and Ryan "Stinky" Zinke is gone too.

Ryan Zinke Is Out As Interior Department Secretary | HuffPost

Something trivial, I believe, like too many ethics violations. Shheeeeeeesh.

Got out before the new Congressional Democrats opened their investigations. I wonder will that save him?
I should be happy to see this ignoramus is leaving but it's Trump, so I am assuming we can get ready for some coal lobbyist to be his replacement

Also sad to see another Irish descendent, Mulvaney (both grandparents from Mayo) signed up as a fully fledged Trump reamer

Dame_Enda

Rumours a defeated GOP senator or Congressman or sitting Congressman/woman will succeed Zinke, such as Dean Heller (defeated), Cathy McMorris Rodgers (re-elected), Raul Labrador (R-Idaho) etc.

owedtojoy

I should be happy to see this ignoramus is leaving but it's Trump, so I am assuming we can get ready for some coal lobbyist to be his replacement

Also sad to see another Irish descendent, Mulvaney (both grandparents from Mayo) signed up as a fully fledged Trump reamer
I am just waiting for Paddy Ignatius Murphy to become Trump's Communications Director.

owedtojoy

Who wrote this?

... if a President knowingly destroys or alters evidence, suborns perjury, or induces a witness to change testimony, or commits any act deliberately impairing the integrity or availability of evidence, then he, like anyone else, commits the crime of obstruction.
And this?

... the President’s motive in removing Comey and commenting on Flynn could not have been “corrupt” unless the President and his campaign were actually guilty of illegal collusion.
And this?

[T]he predicate for finding any corruption would be first finding that the President had engaged in the wrongdoing he was allegedly trying to cover up. Under the particular circumstances here, the issue of obstruction becomes ripe after the alleged collusion by the President or his campaign is established first.
Actually, William Barr did.

So Trump has nothing to worry about .... unless, he is guilty. What is what it looks like. Then, even Barr will not save him.

William Barrs Memo Makes Compelling Case that Trump Must Be Impeached | emptywheel

The author of this piece. Marcy Wheeler (who has covered Russiagate extensively) believes:

By June 2018, by the time Barr wrote this, I’m fairly certain Mueller had the goods on an illegal conspiracy between Trump and the Russians, even if all the witnesses to it had not yet signed up as cooperating witnesses against the President.

So again, because he writes about something he doesn’t understand, [Barr] has accidentally made the case that the President has broken the law and should be investigated for doing so.