• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Truth Commission?

Scipio

You probably already know the answer:

"MMG and Gerry are proven liars, they will not tell the truth due to the IRA's Code of Honour, so why bother".

Young Ned

You probably already know the probable answer:

"MMG and Gerry are proven liars, they will not tell the truth due to the IRA's Code of Honour, so why bother".
Probably the same people demanding he come clean about Claudy, no doubt. If there's no point asking him questions, then there's no point, right?

picador

Because they have more to lose from it than Sinn Fein does.

eoghanacht

I always thought the objections came from Unionist politicians. You'd have to wonder if there's a will in westminister to have their dirty laundry aired in public, i think it would be a good way of ending divisions in society and giving the troubles a sense of closure.

Cruimh

Truth commission - needs an amnesty.

SF stopped legislation for amnesty.

So they have their cake and can eat it - they can call for Truth Commission - makes them look virtuous - while at the same time they have made sure it cannot happen.

They had a nasty experience at Saville.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
A pointless, expensive piece of window dressing. N.I.'s problems are caused by people looking backwards at what occurred in the past and not forward into what can be.

Young Ned

So they have their cake and can eat it - they can call for Truth Commission - makes them look virtuous - while at the same time they have made sure it cannot happen.

They had a nasty experience at Saville.
I think that would be an easy political case to make, if true. Certainly one could expose that by going along with the concept in goof faith, no?

Young Ned

A pointless, expensive piece of window dressing. N.I.'s problems are caused by people looking backwards at what occurred in the past and not forward into what can be.
Well the same people who are saying that Sinn Féin would never let IRA men answer questions are clamoring for Sinn Féin to let an IRA man answer questions.

I find it puzzling.

picador

My mistake - this thread on Slugger (kudos to Baker) details how the amnesty legisation came to be scrapped - i.e. because it was politically impossible to sell the idea of an amnesty for state forces to the nationalist / republican community at the time. SF wisely put its own political interests ahead of the interests of wanted IRA men.

Last edited:

Young Ned

I don't understand.
If, hypothetically, Sinn Féin were pushing for a truth commission while at the same time plotting to defang it, or not fund it, or whatever would make it look like they were making an offer without having to follow through, it would be easy enough to point that out, as it happened.

picador

Well the same people who are saying that Sinn Féin would never let IRA men answer questions are clamoring for Sinn Féin to let an IRA man answer questions.

I find it puzzling.
I'd say you have it just about right.

Keith-M

Website

I find it puzzling.

Just becase you think something won't happen, doesn't stop it being desirable. How many people buy a lottery ticket expecting they will win?

Portstewart

Clearly SF do not really want a truth commission and they know there will never be one, it's political posturing and spin as usual.

You think Gerry Adams will be quite happy to all of a sudden admit everything and coroborate Brenden Hughes's transcripts?

Do you think Marty really wants the microscope put on the very strange happenings in the Derry brigade area, the cosy deals with MI6, his tolerance of blatant informers, how it suddenly went from being one of the most active to one of the very least active under his stewardship, examined in detail?

It's a complete joke, SF don't want it anymore than British intelligence do, and for very obvious reasons.

picador

Clearly SF do not really want a truth commission and they know there will never be one, it's political posturing and spin as usual.

You think Gerry Adams will be quite happy to all of a sudden admit everything and coroborate Brenden Hughes's transcripts?

Do you think Marty really wants the microscope put on the very strange happenings in the Derry brigade area, the cosy deals with MI6, his tolerance of blatant informers, how it suddenly went from being one of the most active to one of the very least active under his stewardship, examined?

It's a complete joke, SF don't want it anymore than British intelligence do, and for very obvious reasons.
So call their bluff.

Why would British intelligence not want it? Surely they have nothing to hide?

Young Ned

Just becase you think something won't happen, doesn't stop it being desirable.
If they really want answers, there's a clear avenue. If they want just to score political points, they can just do what they're doing.

Young Ned

Do you think Marty really wants the microscope put on the very strange happenings in the Derry brigade area, the cosy deals with MI6, his tolerance of blatant informers, how it suddenly went from being one of the most active to one of the very least active under his stewardship, examined in detail?

Why? People might find out they were in the IRA? I agree with Pic, call their bluff, or let it go.

Cruimh

If, hypothetically, Sinn Féin were pushing for a truth commission while at the same time plotting to defang it, or not fund it, or whatever would make it look like they were making an offer without having to follow through, it would be easy enough to point that out, as it happened.
I have done so.

It happened.

Amnesty legislation was being forced through by the Labour Government against opposition from Tories and Unionists - and was abandoned when SF did a U Turn. Their excuse was that only terrorists should have amnesty rather than all participants. That killed any chance of a Truth Commission.

Keith-M

Website
If they really want answers, there's a clear avenue. If they want just to score political points, they can just do what they're doing.
There isn't a clear answer. SF/IRA have a maffia type oath which they see as above the law. Adams still denies he was ever in the IRA, let alone on the "army council". What good would scratchinging old sores achieve?