• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

TUI throw down the gauntlet. How will FF play it?

44percent

The government is under serious pressure now. Given their declaration that they would legislate for paycuts how will FF play their own hand? Will they say that it is in the national interest or will they see if the government will crack and pile on the pressure? Are FF ready for a snap election? How do you see FF manage the situation?

Ulster-Lad

The government is under serious pressure now. Given their declaration that they would legislate for paycuts how will FF play their own hand? Will they say that it is in the national interest or will they see if the government will crack and pile on the pressure? Are FF ready for a snap election? How do you see FF manage the situation?

There will be no snap election. FG will do everything possible to be in power in 2016.

Betson

There will be no snap election. FG will do everything possible to be in power in 2016.
Agree , they will bottle it and concede to every demand on Croke Park 2 , as Quinn said today they will just go after front line services instead, those effected then don't have near the same clout as the unions.

turdsl

Only be in power if Keaveney, Shortall or Michael Martin agree to it,They will never be trusted to govern on their own now,

Betson

It would be a tricky one for FF alright , as they would want to heap pressure on the Government but at the same time I reckon
the majority of the public would rather the Government just took the unions head on at this stage, and I don't think FF would want a
snap election just yet either. Immaterial anyway as the Government will not have the stomach to legislate.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
They won't be in power for the Easter celebrations with this Government in 2016.. as the Dail started in March 2011.. it will have to be dissolved before March 2016.. it can only sit 5 years maximum

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
It would be a tricky one for FF alright , as they would want to heap pressure on the Government but at the same time I reckon
the majority of the public would rather the Government just took the unions head on at this stage, and I don't think FF would want a
snap election just yet either. Immaterial anyway as the Government will not have the stomach to legislate.
If they don't, their overlords in the troika will do it for them.. like they have done in other countries already

controller

If they don't, their overlords in the troika will do it for them.. like they have done in other countries already
I'm not disbeliveing, but where??

dresden8

Agree , they will bottle it and concede to every demand on Croke Park 2 , as Quinn said today they will just go after front line services instead, those effected then don't have near the same clout as the unions.
There are no demands in CP2.

The union delivered no demands.

The government delivered demand in direct contravention of the Croke Park Agreement.

You ignorance of these facts mark you out as a moron.

RobertW

They won't be in power for the Easter celebrations with this Government in 2016.. as the Dail started in March 2011.. it will have to be dissolved before March 2016.. it can only sit 5 years maximum
The latest point at which an election can be called is March 8 2016

A three week campaign could see the election on 31 March 2016.

A further three weeks until the new Dáil sits . . And you're talking around Thursday 21 April 2016.....exactly 100 years after Good Friday 1916

RobertW

There is this myth out there that the troika are setting policy. They're not.

They don't care how themGovernment meets its financial demands as long as they come up with the cash

InsideImDancing

FF will do whatever they think will get them back into power, they'll do anything to get power, all they want is power and I've no idea why.

Cruimh

FF will do whatever they think will get them back into power, they'll do anything to get power, all they want is power and I've no idea why.
FF need to go back to the de Valera basics.

The Ireland which we would desire of would be the home of a people who valued material wealth only as the basis of a right living, of a people who were satisfied with frugal comfort and devoted their leisure to the things of the soul; a land whose countryside would be bright with cosy homesteads, whose fields and valleys would be joyous with the sounds of industry, with the romping of sturdy children, the contests of athletic youth, the laughter of happy maidens; whose firesides would be forums for the wisdom of old age. It would, in a word, be the home of a people living the life that God desires that men should live.

GDPR

Neither do you know that all they want is power, but you declare it anyway, so go on, have a guess at the why.

To answer the OP, the first thing they should do is give Labour enough rope to hang themselves and only then lay out their own position.

InsideImDancing

Neither do you know that all they want is power, but you declare it anyway, so go on, have a guess at the why.
It's almost like an industry to my mind, join FF, have a good chance of furthering your political career. I bet the party is full of politics students.

To answer the OP, the first thing they should do is give Labour enough rope to hang themselves and only then lay out their own position.
See that looks to me like your love of FF is akin to supporting a football team, up for the battle for power but not exactly sure what you'll do with it when you get it. What's the point?

GDPR

It's almost like an industry to my mind, join FF, have a good chance of furthering your political career. I bet the party is full of politics students.

See that looks to me like your love of FF is akin to supporting a football team, up for the battle for power but not exactly sure what you'll do with it when you get it. What's the point?
All of that is just an expression of your own bias and from that your inability to see the wood for the trees.

"love" is a strange word to use in connection with a political party, I would have a preference for the sort of policy balance they produce and a strong preference for their record in Government over the record of any other party, but that's it.

The "game" of politics is about getting elected, the achieving of the power to implement your policies, without which your policy platform is about as much use to yourself or society as the one legged man at an arse kicking party, but power for the sake of power would be short lived, ala the FG experience and just a bit pointless.
The "policy" of politics is or should be both what you'll do when you get the power and the reason why people will or will not vote for your party in the first place and is the base from which you play the game. There are of course other reasons why people vote the way they vote, emotional and reactionary reasons, which imo, is a pity, but they will always be with us and are pretty much fixed, regardless of the facts or realities, for the individuals concerned.

tokkie

Who cares? The public at large want PS wages to be cut. Cutting them is a vote winner, not vote loser.

daveL

FF and the national interest

Lol

FF will do what it has always done best; seek the popularity vote

They recently tried to feebly oppose the introduction of the property tax because it wasn't 'the right time' despite FF themselves committing to the introduction

FF have no credibility whatsoever and their disingenuous weasly utterances should always be dismissed out of hand.

Last edited: