• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

TUI wants future unfunded schools to use state employed teachers? is he tripping?

D

Dylan2010

On RTE this morning, without a smirk he (mcGowan?) suggested that private schools should still use state employed teachers and refund the department. What is he smoking? surely the now completely private schools should get their teachers from where ever they want or employ them on 1 or 2 year short term contracts. It would seem illogical that private schools would be forced to use essentially civil servants. Aircoach doesnt have to use CIE workers.
Why does he think he can have his cake and eat it?

NOTE: Please dont rehash the general arguments over the funding of private schools, its been done to death and it will be boring. I am raising a specific issue. But feel free to discuss how private schools would operate in such an environment

Con Gallagher

Another thread about "private" schools where the OP uses the word "private" to mean fee paying, without recognising the model of ownership which is common in this country.

Zoo.

Dame_Enda

I agree that private schools should employ their own teachers, though I favour all schools being private. The TUI just want to protect their powerbase in the public sector from encroachment through the growth of the private sector.

D

Dylan2010

Another thread about "private" schools where the OP uses the word "private" to mean fee paying, without recognising the model of ownership which is common in this country.

Zoo.
dont be pedantic, I'm not writing a computer program, everyone knows what I mean

Con Gallagher

I agree that private schools should employ their own teachers, though I favour all schools being private. The TUI just want to protect their powerbase in the public sector from encroachment through the growth of the private sector.
Are you using Dylan-speak when you use the word "private" to actually mean fee paying? (Or do you actually think the state owns most schools in the country? Or that the salaries of teachers in fee-paying schools is not currently paid for by the state at the same level as those in non-fee paying schools?)

Sync

I haven't heard the interview, but if it's as reported here then he is indeed on a different planet. There's no reason on earth any organisation should tie themselves down to restrictive staffing arrangements if there's a glut of qualified staff out there who don't require such arrangements.

D

Dylan2010

sure, but the lobby loving RTE didnt ask him the question so I am left wondering what these schools would do to save money if they had their funding pulled. Could they off load some staff back to state funded schools? could they get maths and science teachers from India, would they simply go to a staff model of using contract staff for 1 or 2 years and thus avoid increments and onerous pensions burden?

D

Dylan2010

Are you using Dylan-speak when you use the word "private" to actually mean fee paying? (Or do you actually think the state owns most schools in the country? Or that the salaries of teachers in fee-paying schools is not currently paid for by the state at the same level as those in non-fee paying schools?)
again stop being pedantic. In conversation in Ireland it is as likely to refer to Blackrock college as a private or fee paying school. You would be a right bore if you went around correcting everyone

Mr. Bumble

Is there any country that has private schools only?

daveL

On RTE this morning, without a smirk he (mcGowan?) suggested that private schools should still use state employed teachers and refund the department. What is he smoking? surely the now completely private schools should get their teachers from where ever they want or employ them on 1 or 2 year short term contracts. It would seem illogical that private schools would be forced to use essentially civil servants. Aircoach doesnt have to use CIE workers.
Why does he think he can have his cake and eat it?

NOTE: Please dont rehash the general arguments over the funding of private schools, its been done to death and it will be boring. I am raising a specific issue. But feel free to discuss how private schools would operate in such an environment
Indeed. While I agreed with a lot of what the man had to say; that nearly made me choke.

I also resented his use of the term 'free' education to refer to the state sector. It's not free pal. I and millions other citizens pay a lot of taxes for that school system. I honestly believe these morons have long forgotten the purpose of taxation.

Dame_Enda

They should all be fee paying and should pay teacher's salaries from that. The taxpayer should pay the fees of the poor, some of the fees of those struggling, and nothing for the comfortably off.

Mr. Bumble

Indeed. While I agreed with a lot of what the man had to say; that nearly made me choke.

I also resented his use of the term 'free' education to refer to the state sector. It's not free pal. I and millions other citizens pay a lot of taxes for that school system. I honestly believe these morons have long forgotten the purpose of taxation.
I always assume that 'free' in this context means that there is no charge for any child to attend school.

RobertW

When a teacher is employed (either public or private) they are employed by the board of management of that school. . .not the state.

There is no such thing as "state teachers".

daveL

I always assume that 'free' in this context means that there is no charge for any child to attend school.
of course.

I don't though.

I try to remind myself at every turn what I pay taxes for.

Otherwise I'd leave.

Dame_Enda

When a teacher is employed (either public or private) they are employed by the board of management of that school. . .not the state.

Who ultimately pays their salaries?

ShoutingIsLeadership

I haven't heard the interview, but if it's as reported
here then he is indeed on a different planet. There's no reason on earth any organisation should tie themselves down to restrictive staffing arrangements if there's a glut of qualified staff out there who don't require such arrangements.
Who is paying the teachers?

daveL

sigh

and do the board of management pay your salary? And provide for your pension?

Mr. Bumble

of course.

I don't though.

I try to remind myself at every turn what I pay taxes for.

Otherwise I'd leave.
I try not to look at my net wages versus my gross. Otherwise I'd leave.