Turkey to invade Kurdish area of Syria.

middleground

This ignorant thug has held a revolver to Europe's temple for a coupe of years now. The only thing that appears to change is he keeps filling the chambers up.
Why should Turkey have to host the Syrian refugees that were created by western imperialism?

petaljam

Unserious comment.
Not entirely. A flippant comment making a serious point.

Trump's disregard for democratic norms and his blatant self serving approach of using his position as president to fill his family's coffers haven't gone unnoticed by other anti democrats around the world. Just like his reluctance to criticise Ben Salman over Kashoggi's murder will strengthen the feeling of impunity of other autocrats tempted to rid themselves of irritating opponents.

I don't think it's a matter of just trusting that there'll be a different president at some point and that things will go back to normal then. They won't. I think the harm done to the very concept of democracy by the Trump presidency has already been disastrous, and that won't just go away with the end of his presidency.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt

parentheses

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt

Golah veNekhar

That's not how the American elite think. That's how Lindsey Graham thinks.
You think the Yanks take seriously all the "Feminist" virtue signalling of the PKK? From the Levantine group most infamous for "honour killings"? After the creation of he Zionist entity and all the problems it has created in terms of organized crime you honestly think they would risk the creation of a Kurdish state?

parentheses

You think the Yanks take seriously all the "Feminist" virtue signalling of the PKK? From the Levantine group most infamous for "honour killings"? After the creation of he Zionist entity and all the problems it has created in terms of organized crime you honestly think they would risk the creation of a Kurdish state?
In any case, they only turned to the Kurds after the implosion of the "Free Syrian Army".

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Not entirely. A flippant comment making a serious point.

Trump's disregard for democratic norms and his blatant self serving approach of using his position as president to fill his family's coffers haven't gone unnoticed by other anti democrats around the world. Just like his reluctance to criticise Ben Salman over Kashoggi's murder will strengthen the feeling of impunity of other autocrats tempted to rid themselves of irritating opponents.

I don't think it's a matter of just trusting that there'll be a different president at some point and that things will go back to normal then. They won't. I think the harm done to the very concept of democracy by the Trump presidency has already been disastrous, and that won't just go away with the end of his presidency.
It's obvious then that, like most of us, you hold the US to a higher standard than you do other states. Which is fine. However, I cannot help but notice that like so many posters you seem to want to hold the US to a completely different standard to the Assads, Bin Salmans and Erdogens of the world yet never - ever - seem to want to give credit for maintaining those standards (which is what the US usually does). Ironically, I think people flatter this administration if they see this as a cynical attempt to curry favour with autocrats. It's much more stupid than that: It's a strategic blunder the whitehouse is trying to back-pedal on.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
What I think is that you are a crackpot incapable of having a sober discussion on anything connected with the middle east and probably a host of other topics I've yet to see you comment upon.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
In any case, they only turned to the Kurds after the implosion of the "Free Syrian Army".
Realpolitik. Everyone else is allowed do it, but when "the yanks" do it, it's bad.

Golah veNekhar

What I think is that you are a crackpot incapable of having a sober discussion on anything connected with the middle east and probably a host of other topics I've yet to see you comment upon.
Unlike you I am actual friends with people from the Middle East. I spent most almost of late teens and early 20s with people from that region.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Unlike you I am actual friends with people from the Middle East. I spent most almost of late teens and early 20s with people from that region.
Good for you. You're still a crackpot though.

petaljam

It's obvious then that, like most of us, you hold the US to a higher standard than you do other states. Which is fine. However, I cannot help but notice that like so many posters you seem to want to hold the US to a completely different standard to the Assads, Bin Salmans and Erdogens of the world yet never - ever - seem to want to give credit for maintaining those standards (which is what the US usually does). Ironically, I think people flatter this administration if they see this as a cynical attempt to curry favour with autocrats. It's much more stupid than that: It's a strategic blunder the whitehouse is trying to back-pedal on.
I hold democracies to a higher standard than other states. I would be just as critical if we had a similarly disastrous president in France - and there have been several who have been dodgy, but none who as openly despised the very notion of democracy and who acted more like a third world dictator in the way Trump does.

As for why the heck you would imagine any sane person should make allowances for Trump on the basis that Erdogan or Putin are worse, well that is beyond me. And then there's Trump's obvious attraction to both Putin and Erdogan - clearly he feels that he has more in common with them than with any of the democratic leaders around. Boris Johnson being the exception that proves the rule.

And no, it's not just a strategic blunder, it's classic Trump. That the WH adminstration is trying to backpedal is a different point. But like I said, while Trump is in power it will always be a matter of staggering from one disaster to another.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies