• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Turkey's EU membership - Yeh - Nay ?


Fallen_Angel

Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2005
Messages
33
Will Turkey's EU membership be something positive or negative? / An Turcaí mar Ballstáit den Aontas Eorpach - rud maith é , nó rud olc é?

When Turkey joins, it's a relatively poor country with 70 million predominantly Sunni Muslims, nearly bigger than the population of Germany, the EU's current biggest state.

I think that Turkey as a secular state(non sharia based) may provide a perfect example for other Muslim countries to follow, admire and emulate as an integrated member of the European Union.

The fact that Turkey will become an integrated EU member state, may help to eradicate islamisic extremism around the world.

What do ye think? /Céard a cheapann sibhse?
 


FutureTaoiseach

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 20, 2005
Messages
7,991
Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
A definite "Nay". Post-911, it would be insane to open our borders completely to a Muslim country with 67 million people. Only a tiny % of them need to be terrorists for us to be in danger. And anyway, it's democratic and human rights credentials are called into question when you have a court case going on now in which an attempt is being made to ban the ruling party. I don't want any more big, poor countries joining the EU.
 

st333ve

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 18, 2006
Messages
2,104
Turkey is a great country, im going there in 2 weeks for the 5th time.
I dont see why they shouldnt join the EU, it would help their economy which is on the rise anyway.
I know a few people with property there and the prices are rising, and will further if they join the EU.
Very peaceful respectful people who have a great fondness for the Irish who were a great aid to their tourist trade as the Irish flocked their in their droves and still do.
Ive never been to a place where people were so laid back, great craic and polite.
Ive been all over the world and Turkey is still my favourite destination, im sure the usual suspects will be up in arms shouting about their Muslimphobia :roll:, also you can hardly say they dont deserve to be part of the EU because they dont have enough money, its not a wine bar and the ROI was accepted in while it was hitting hard times.
 

bob3344

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
7,089
"Turkey is a great country, im going there in 2 weeks for the 5th time.
I dont see why they shouldnt join the EU, it would help their economy which is on the rise anyway.
I know a few people with property there and the prices are rising, and will further if they join the EU."

Great, so because you've had a couple of holidays there and your mates want to make a killing on their holiday homes, we should let 80 million turks into the EU and become one of the most powerful members due to voting rights. Lets all forget about the human rights abuses, armenian genocide etc.

"also you can hardly say they dont deserve to be part of the EU because they dont have enough money"

No, I'd say they don't deserve to be in the EU, because they are not part of Europe. Let in Turkey, who's next ? Morocco ? Libya ?

Great idea having Europe bordering on Iran , Iraq etc
 

Aindriu

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 28, 2007
Messages
8,702
Nay because of their appalling human rights record.
 

Fallen_Angel

Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2005
Messages
33
bob3344 said:
No, I'd say they don't deserve to be in the EU, because they are not part of Europe. Let in Turkey, who's next ? Morocco ? Libya ?

Great idea having Europe bordering on Iran , Iraq etc
15% of Turkey is technically on the continent of Europe, Istanbul with nearly 15 million people is geographically in Europe.
Also, it would be good to have Turkey on our side, so we can guarantee security to European Oil lines going from Turkmenistan through the Caspian sea and through Turkey to Europe, since Russia is actively threatening Europe's oil pipelines.
 

Squire Allworthy

Well-known member
Joined
May 31, 2007
Messages
1,404
I would view the Ural mountains as the boundary of Europe. We have been through all this before.

In any case what is there in a name. Should we be limited by a name? Would Canada be able to join if it so desired. I would hope it would. What if Russia at some future date decided to join? Is it European enough? Or the Ukraine? What about the Balkans? Is Malta or Cyprus part of Europe? What about Greenland?

We should engage with Turkey positively and by so doing improve the civil rights of its people. It would also show that we are not excluding in terms of race, colour or religion. We should be a beckon of hope.

There are also strategic consideration.
 

stannis

Active member
Joined
Mar 2, 2005
Messages
198
The fact that Turkey will become an integrated EU member state, may help to eradicate islamisic extremism around the world.
I'd love to know how this would happen?

The EU is already huge, with nearly 500 million people, about 100 million of whom live in eastern European countries well behind the average GDP per capita. Funding those countries and their outmoded agriculture and industry is bad enough without adding a country of 70,000,000 which also requires major funding.
 

Dunny

Active member
Joined
Jan 16, 2005
Messages
152
Website
www.donnachamaguire.com
FutureTaoiseach said:
A definite "Nay". Post-911, it would be insane to open our borders completely to a Muslim country with 67 million people. Only a tiny % of them need to be terrorists for us to be in danger. And anyway, it's democratic and human rights credentials are called into question when you have a court case going on now in which an attempt is being made to ban the ruling party. I don't want any more big, poor countries joining the EU.
So so narrow minded..but hey its FT!!!

You are also selfish....
 

FutureTaoiseach

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 20, 2005
Messages
7,991
Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
Dunny said:
FutureTaoiseach said:
A definite "Nay". Post-911, it would be insane to open our borders completely to a Muslim country with 67 million people. Only a tiny % of them need to be terrorists for us to be in danger. And anyway, it's democratic and human rights credentials are called into question when you have a court case going on now in which an attempt is being made to ban the ruling party. I don't want any more big, poor countries joining the EU.
So so narrow minded..but hey its FT!!!

You are also selfish....
I call it enlightened self-interest. No true patriot could encourage a trend of more Irish Ferries-type scenarios of replacement workforces being imported to replace entire or large parts of Irish workforces, or the downward pressure on wages it implies.
 

myk

Well-known member
Joined
May 21, 2004
Messages
406
I'd be in favour of EU membership, provided that they go through the same procedures and checks that other states have gone through.
 

Dunny

Active member
Joined
Jan 16, 2005
Messages
152
Website
www.donnachamaguire.com
Dunny said:
FutureTaoiseach said:
A definite "Nay". Post-911, it would be insane to open our borders completely to a Muslim country with 67 million people. Only a tiny % of them need to be terrorists for us to be in danger. And anyway, it's democratic and human rights credentials are called into question when you have a court case going on now in which an attempt is being made to ban the ruling party. I don't want any more big, poor countries joining the EU.
So so narrow minded..but hey its FT!!!

You are also selfish....
Thank god, the rest of europe didnt think like you in the 1960's / 1970's
 

st333ve

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 18, 2006
Messages
2,104
FutureTaoiseach said:
I call it enlightened self-interest. No true patriot could encourage a trend of more Irish Ferries-type scenarios of replacement workforces being imported to replace entire or large parts of Irish workforces, or the downward pressure on wages it implies.
You wouldnt catch the Irish going abroad looking work. :roll:

Turkey isnt this poverty stricken country people are portraying it as, its geographical location bordering Iraq is irrelevent.
The problem in Iraq comes from the people who use Ireland as a side of the road filling station on their way over to bomb Iraq.
 

st333ve

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 18, 2006
Messages
2,104
bob3344 said:
Great, so because you've had a couple of holidays there and your mates want to make a killing on their holiday homes, we should let 80 million turks into the EU and become one of the most powerful members due to voting rights. Lets all forget about the human rights abuses, armenian genocide etc.

Great idea having Europe bordering on Iran , Iraq etc
Why dont you just put signs up saying "No Blacks No Muslims"

The 1915 Armenian genocide?
Sure this was around the same time the British ruled half the world down the barrel of a gun and was actively executing people in Ireland and you have no problems with them being in the EU.
According to your theory Germany shouldnt be in the EU because of what Hitler done :roll:

Grow up, Turkey is a country no different than many others already in the EU, it might have had past human rights problems but it was also one of the first countries in the world to give women politcal rights.
I cant see any real reason why they shouldnt become part of the EU, its going to happen eventually anyway.
Good luck to them.
 

myk

Well-known member
Joined
May 21, 2004
Messages
406
st333ve said:
I cant see any real reason why they shouldnt become part of the EU, its going to happen eventually anyway.
Good luck to them.
I hope that it is true, that it is going to happen sometime, but I fear that existing EU countries may block it indefintely.
 

Rocky

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 9, 2004
Messages
8,550
In the long-term yes. I don't think they are there yet, the army is still a bit of a problem, the economy isn't strong enough and democracy isn't strong enough, but on all these counts it is improving and to be honest it's not that far behind Bulgaria and Romania, which were allowed to join.

EU membership would be great for Turkey it would help it establish democracy and improve the economy and it would also be great for the EU. It would give all EU states a new large market to sell their goods into and Turkey has a lot of potential and EU membership would help Turkey realize that potential, which would help the EU as a whole. Turkey would also allow the EU to play a larger role in International Affairs. Turkey is a large country, with a large population and with a large army and having that in the EU would increase its power. Turkey also has a border with Iraq and Syria and that would help the EU play a larger role in the Middle East. A strong democratic Turkey in the EU would also give all Muslim people a example of what they should aim for and show the Muslim world that in the West politics and religion are truly separate.
 

drbob1972

Active member
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
257
myk said:
st333ve said:
I cant see any real reason why they shouldnt become part of the EU, its going to happen eventually anyway.
Good luck to them.
I hope that it is true, that it is going to happen sometime, but I fear that existing EU countries may block it indefintely.
indeed, there are very large amounts of the population in France, Germany, etc that are very opposed to it, to the extent that Chirac mandated that only a referendum in France would allow France to support expansion beyond the existing 27 and some of the Balkan states already in progress, this was effectively aimed at turkey, could Sarkozy have the courage / beliefs to over ride same, i doubt it esp given his past rhetoric on same and his low popularity
 

st333ve

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 18, 2006
Messages
2,104
Ive been to Bulgaria twice and Turkey seems like a world ahead of Bulgaria in terms of infastructure and economic wealth. (unless the rich/poor gap in Bulgaria is huge)
I would find it hard to believe that Turkey would be lagging behing Romania and Bulgaria, its a modern country compared to these places.
 

A_man_about_a_dog

Active member
Joined
Nov 28, 2006
Messages
181
Aindriu said:
Nay because of their appalling human rights record.

I'm of the same opinion. Nay.
 

bob3344

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
7,089
"Grow up, Turkey is a country no different than many others already in the EU"

Just have a think about voting rights in the EU work before you start telling people to grow up.

At least I don't base my entire world view on hatred of the brits. You accuse others of prejudice when your own could not be more evident.

The only reason that turkey maintains its democratic status is the periodic interventions of its army whenever a muslim president attempts to introduce elements of sharia law. Will turkey have this safety valve at all times in the future ? Would the EU sanction this ?

As for the poster who thinks having a border with Iran & Iraq would be a positive because it would let us take a more active interest in the middle-east - the mind boggles.
 

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top