• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Turnout on the Islands: Less than 5% on Inishboffin

gijoe

According to RTE the turnout for the referendum on the Islands today was very slow. Some 2000 were entitled to vote today. In the case of Inishboffin just 3 of the 64 voters on the Island cast a ballot i.e. as turnout of less than 5%!

Bea C

Has it closed yet?
Or is it the same time we have on the mainland?

BrightDay

According to RTE the turnout for the referendum on the Islands today was very slow. Some 2000 were entitled to vote today. In the case of Inishboffin just 3 of the 64 voters on the Island cast a ballot i.e. as turnout of less than 5%!
It mentioned on RTE Aertel that an Air Corps helicopter brought the ballot boxes to Tory Island today despite the fact that the regular ferry service ran to and from the island throughout the day. I would love to know who decided to use the Air Corps and how much it cost compared to the ferry.

Re Inishbofin - the reality is that there is no-one living on the island (except for people who holiday there in the summer - and on the census night allegedly).Its the same with Gola island. Its about time people in authority stopped treating these places as inhabited islands when the dogs on the street know that they are not.

Last edited:

ruserious

It mentioned on RTE Aertel that an Air Corps helicopter brought the ballot boxes to Tory Island today despite the fact that the regular ferry service ran to and from the island throughout the day. I would love to know who decided to use the Air Corps and how much it cost compared to the helicopter.
Perhaps, the AC pilot was getting some valuable experince of landing the AW139 in an unfamiliar area which will be needed if an emergency evacuation was needed on the island. I don't think the islanders would be complaining that a ferry should be used then.

Half Nelson

I'll bet those few voters didn't expect to be at the centre of a constitutional crisis - which is where they're headed.

davidcameron

Surely, the polling stations on the islands could have been opened at the same time as on the mainland and the helicopter could have transported the votes to the count centre. A modern helicopter could withstand a lightning strike. Couldn't it?

gijoe

Has it closed yet?
Or is it the same time we have on the mainland?
Closed. Some Islands might only have a 2 or 3 hour voting window if the numbers are very small and they move on to the next Island. That turnout was the total for the Island - a less than 5% turnout.

BrightDay

Perhaps, the AC pilot was getting some valuable experince of landing the AW139 in an unfamiliar area which will be needed if an emergency evacuation was needed on the island. I don't think the islanders would be complaining that a ferry should be used then.
Lets hope the pilot who was on duty today will also be on duty if an emergency ecavuation is required.

I haven's said anything about islanders complaining about anything. The point I am making is that someone responsible for organising the election arranged for a helicopter to be used for transport to the island when a ferry was operating to and from the island, and that decision cost us as taxpayers more money than it should.

Samell

5% turnout! If that is repeated throughout the country as seems likely, there seems to be little enthusiasm for the referendum, we will be changing out constitution on the opinion of less than the population of a small midlands town.

I know the 'Don't vote-Don't complain' idea is sound but surely there must be a constitutional minimum percentage to make amendments to our constitution.

turdsl

A very serious position for the elected government to find itself this morning, especially with money so short. They even tell us the country is broke, Now they have wasted one million by supplying information in a referendum campaign, that was neither fair.impartial or equal.

Why in the name of God did the government try to subvert the law of the land ?

S

simeongrimes

The political class hate the McKenna judgement but lacking the courage or conviction to change it by referendum they feel entitled to ignore it or undermine it. At the same time they want to put something vague into the constitution and ask us to trust them about the consequences.

The arrogance is breathtaking. Why would we trust them about anything?

turdsl

They are our elected government, we elected them, however,there is now a question of their credibility, not much we can do about it now. We were conned, They told us the would protect the vulnerable.They are protecting the wealthy instead. We have seen what they tried to do to the personal assistants to the disabled, They have cut another half a million carer hours to the old and the sick.

They will now probably cut more carer hours to replace the million they wasted.

turdsl

The political class hate the McKenna judgement but lacking the courage or conviction to change it by referendum they feel entitled to ignore it or undermine it. At the same time they want to put something vague into the constitution and ask us to trust them about the consequences.

The arrogance is breathtaking. Why would we trust them about anything?

We are now in a position that they are not trustworthy, apart from this we have seen the attacks on the vulnerable after they promising to protect them.

stakerwallace

There was no grant to vote?

BrightDay

We are now in a position that they are not trustworthy, apart from this we have seen the attacks on the vulnerable after they promising to protect them.
Haven't we been in that position for over a year now?

FrankSpeaks

I forecast it will be lowest ever turnout for any election, 20% if they are lucky. The appalling McKenna Judgment has stifled all talk on the referendum. I think the government could easily lose on the day.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies