Tusla bribing kids to stop smoking!

Mushroom

"A JUDGE has expressed her disbelief that a 15-year-old boy in Limerick is being paid by the State not to smoke.

And, as an added bonus, the Child and Family Agency's ‘pocket money scheme' also pays the boy to be in bed on time.

Details of the payments, which are being made at a number of residential centres in Limerick, emerged at a sitting of the Children’s Court after the presiding judge expressed her “disbelief” at the practice.

Boy, 15, in State care in Limerick paid not to smoke - Limerick Leader

"Following queries from the Limerick Leader, Tusla confirmed that ‘pocket money’ schemes are commonly used in Limerick and across the country.

“In general, children’s residential services operate a pocket money system as you might find in many family homes. This can be linked to completion of normal household chores and, in some cases, can be related to a behavioural goal,” said a spokesperson for Tusla. The spokesperson added: “For some young people, incentives work very well and help them achieve their goals.”

The agency has defended the practice of paying young children not to smoke - despite the fact that it is illegal from them to do so."

Isn't it really really great to see the Zapper is spending her Department's budget so intelligently? She's some man!

ruserious

Who is providing the child with fags? Surely that's what the authorities should be following up on.

Dedogs

"A JUDGE has expressed her disbelief that a 15-year-old boy in Limerick is being paid by the State not to smoke.

And, as an added bonus, the Child and Family Agency's ‘pocket money scheme' also pays the boy to be in bed on time.

Details of the payments, which are being made at a number of residential centres in Limerick, emerged at a sitting of the Children’s Court after the presiding judge expressed her “disbelief” at the practice.

"Following queries from the Limerick Leader, Tusla confirmed that ‘pocket money’ schemes are commonly used in Limerick and across the country.

“In general, children’s residential services operate a pocket money system as you might find in many family homes. This can be linked to completion of normal household chores and, in some cases, can be related to a behavioural goal,” said a spokesperson for Tusla. The spokesperson added: “For some young people, incentives work very well and help them achieve their goals.”

The agency has defended the practice of paying young children not to smoke - despite the fact that it is illegal from them to do so."

Isn't it really really great to see the Zapper is spending her Department's budget so intelligently? She's some man!
gettin his hole kicked if he did smoke would work better than bribin him!!!! payin crim kids not to smoke and payin pensions to rapists is it any theres no money for hospitals!!!!????

Gin Soaked

Better to think of it as pocket money being withheld for bad behaviour.

Pocket money being earned for behaving well seems reasonable. All kids have their vices and behavioural blindspots.

This seems pretty reasonable to me.

Or should kids in state care be denied any autonomy over their lives?

toughbutfair

Don't get the hysteria over smoking. I don't smoke but smokers pay a fortune in taxes and die younger (less pension) . I hope none of them quit.

the secretary

This is fecking crazy stuff
Being paid for good behaviour.
I bet ya anything that the teen is still smoking on the sly.

Clanrickard

Don't get the hysteria over smoking. I don't smoke but smokers pay a fortune in taxes and die younger (less pension) . I hope none of them quit.
Really? Read the OP. he is 15. It is illegal for anyone under 18 to smoke.

Clanrickard

This is fecking crazy stuff
Being paid for good behaviour.
I bet ya anything that the teen is still smoking on the sly.
I could tell you stories about Tusla in Limerick but I'd be here all night.

Ellen Ripley

€25 pw inducement to behave...he's 15, he'll soon be demanding more.

Whatever happened to Virtue being its own reward? :rolleyes:

TedHankey

Some form of a reward for achieving a targeted goal can be a benefit surely?

ShoutingIsLeadership

What's a residential care centre? Is it a detention centre or a place for children in care?

Mushroom

Some form of a reward for achieving a targeted goal can be a benefit surely?

So how much will you pay me to stop posting sh1te on p.ie on a daily basis?

Mushroom

milipod

[video=youtube;vHA7xMFteDA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHA7xMFteDA[/video]

ShoutingIsLeadership

Abuse of taxpayers' funds. Would you get aroused if I told you that a certain Mr Big owned the company that runs the care centre?

You've yet to show how it's an abuse of public funds. Any evidence to support this claim?

TedHankey

So how much will you pay me to stop posting sh1te on p.ie on a daily basis?
As something of a connoisseur, I always found your shyte to be among the finest posted. Step up production I say :p

Mushroom

You've yet to show how it's an abuse of public funds. Any evidence to support this claim?

Sorry bud, but I'm not qualified as a special needs teacher. You'll need to ask one of your parents.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies