TV3 News: Norris early favourite for President, now gone?

oceanclub

Website
oceanclub.blogspot.com
Apart from the party results, TV3 news also had a mention that David Norris was early favourite (20%) for President. However, when I re-checked the page (Dramatic political shifts shown by TV3/Millward Brown poll - TV3), this is gone. I presume I wasn't seeing things? The original text said:

"Senator David Norris emerges as a clear early favourite for the presidency - 20% name him without any prompting. The two potential Labour party candidates, Fergus Finlay and Michael D. Higgins register 8% each revealing a strong Labour candidacy for the role once a single candidate emerges."

P.

Last edited:

blackpitts

I have the page still open from a while back. It said

Senator David Norris emerges as a clear early favourite for the presidency - 20% name him without any prompting. The two potential Labour party candidates, Fergus Finlay and Michael D. Higgins register 8% each revealing a strong Labour candidacy for the role once a single candidate emerges.

oceanclub

Website
oceanclub.blogspot.com
It's now finally up on the TV3 website:

TV3 Poll shows support for Senator in Presidential race - TV3

In the final part of the TV3/Millward Brown National Opinion Poll we asked who is favourite succeed Mary McAleese as President, how many favour a state visit by Queen Elizabeth and if Cardinal Brady still retains popular support.

In terms of the Presidency:

•Senator David Norris was named as preferred candidate by some 20% of those polled - making him the early favourite
•Fergus Finlay and Michael D. Higgins also proved popular with 8% of the poll each

breakingnews

Norris has to secure the support of 4 councils. How did Dana do that?

This poll is certainly far too early to get excited about.

Good, I love David Norris. Apart from that he is good looking, highly intelligent, and has a wonderful speaking voice. I would be proud to have him as our President, seeing as how we apparently need one, for some reason.

petrapig

send him over to saudi an tell them arabs to let love rule,
an let women drive of course, We love David

sondagefaux

He has about as much chance of parking his aras in the Vice Regal Lodge as Shirley Temple Bar has.

Don't worry - it will never happen!:)
People said we'd never have a women president when Mary Robinson was running for election.

Never say never.

Catalpa

People said we'd never have a women president when Mary Robinson was running for election.

Never say never.
MR had the Labour Party to fund her campaign and was most fortunate that Brain Lenihan put his foot in it when he did.

If that tape had never surfaced she would never have made it.:-(

There is no one behind Norris as far as we know.

Dorris

He has about as much chance of parking his aras in the Vice Regal Lodge as Shirley Temple Bar has.

Don't worry - it will never happen!:)
How are you so sure? I know that when he sees my user name here that his palpitations will start, unless his memory has caved in. Who exactly are his campaign team, front and back seat?

Green eyed monster

I question Norris' faith in a sovereign Ireland, outside of Britain's control. He seems to believe Irish nationalism is to be tolerated only, wants us to join the Commonwealth, associated with a certain strand of Dublin opinion, associated with TCD...

Even the Herald thinks he is a 'Westbrit'...

Anna Nolan: Are we really ready for this unnervingly camp, 'posh West Brit'-talking gay man as President? - Opinion, Frontpage - Herald.ie

As for the Commonwealth, it is a shambles - if anyone has been paying attention to the news and the controversy over the Games in India, Child Labour, Slum Clearances etc - it is not an ethical organisation but as a wealthier member we would have to contribute money towards paying for this anyway if Norris had his way, all so he can place Ireland in a kind of 'set' with Britain's queen at the top of the letterhead....

Michael D is the man for me, i always respected his articulate way of speaking, his intellect, he is also a human rights campaigner - in addition his work with the Irish language has been impressive - he set up TNAG and scrapped section 31 - both positives in my book. He has a connection with the Ireland outside of Dublin that Norris cannot match.

breakingnews

I hope he downplays the "gay" image a little. People shouldn't vote for him because he's gay or to demonstrate their acceptance of gay people. He's sort of implying that a vote for him is a vote for tolerance - by extension, a vote against him is a vote for intolerance??

I really hope there isn't a divisive campaign.

breakingnews

I question Norris' faith in a sovereign Ireland, outside of Britain's control. He seems to believe Irish nationalism is to be tolerated only, wants us to join the Commonwealth, associated with a certain strand of Dublin opinion, associated with TCD...

Even the Herald thinks he is a 'Westbrit'...

Anna Nolan: Are we really ready for this unnervingly camp, 'posh West Brit'-talking gay man as President? - Opinion, Frontpage - Herald.ie

Michael D is the man for me, i always respected his articulate way of speaking, his intellect, he is also a human rights campaigner - in addition his work with the Irish language has been impressive - he set up TNAG and scrapped section 31 - both positives in my book. He has a connection with the Ireland outside of Dublin that Norris cannot match.
I think the Herald is only reflecting public perceptions of him. West-Brit is an old term. The fact that he's POSH is a big factor, particularly for working class Dublin. Arguably his posh accent is much more harmful (electorally) than his sexuality.

As for TCD nonsense..talk about stereotyping. I go to TCD therefore I am west-brit - Rubbish.

Dorris

6th March , Marian Finucane, all the clues are there, if you are any good at seeing through a persona.

RT.ie Radio1: Marian Finucane

I'm just listening to it again, for the third time. This interview should give David nightmares for Yonkey's Dears.

I have just listened to the whole 35 minutes or so, he hardly puts a foot wrong, unless you know which foot is crook.

Last edited:

TommyO'Brien

If the poll is correct (and Lansdowne political polls have a habit of not being) then to come in so far ahead of everyone that it suggests that his challenge for the presidency is credible. If he gets nominated he could well be the one to watch.

It was surprising that Michael D did so badly. I would have expected him to have had far more support in the poll, given his massive popularity in his party.

louis bernard

I wouldn’t write David Norris off as a serious challenger for the presidency. At the moment the Irish people are heartily sick of party politics and party politicians. It may come down to a lot of people voting for Norris just to give the establishment the two fingers.

TommyO'Brien

I think the Herald is only reflecting public perceptions of him. West-Brit is an old term. The fact that he's POSH is a big factor, particularly for working class Dublin. Arguably his posh accent is much more harmful (electorally) than his sexuality.
Very much doubt that.

Erskine Childers was posh also, with a very strong Oxbridge accent and could not speak Irish. He won comfortably - to FF's shock. They believed he had no chance of winning and ran him simply because they could not find any other candidate. They were so not expecting a win they had not even a press officer available to handle the press when to their shock he won, very very comfortably. And he went on to be the most popular president until Mary Robinson.

Childers in particular won massive support among working class Dublin.

So you are completely wrong about that. Norris's poshness will not make one iota of a difference negatively and may as with Childers actually be a positive.

Green eyed monster

Very much doubt that.

Erskine Childers was posh also, with a very strong Oxbridge accent and could not speak Irish. He won comfortably - to FF's shock. They believed he had no chance of winning and ran him simply because they could not find any other candidate. They were so not expecting a win they had not even a press officer available to handle the press when to their shock he won, very very comfortably. And he went on to be the most popular president until Mary Robinson.

Childers in particular won massive support among working class Dublin.

So you are completely wrong about that. Norris's poshness will not make one iota of a difference negatively and may as with Childers actually be a positive.
Childers had his fathers name by him though - his father was executed because of Childers support for Irish Nationalism, it's always a strong card to play and one that would have helped to evaporate suspicions about the accent.

Norris has certain views which might not go down as well in combination with that accent... Or they might (given how times have 'changed'... sigh).

SideysGhost

I'd vote for him just to watch the DUP's heads explode. A gay protestant president. They just wouldn't be able to get their primitive skulls around it. :D

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
The problem for Norris will be getting the 20 Oireachtas or 4 County Council support needed to even get on the ballot.

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies