• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

TV3 showing German tv shows without subtitles

Dub01

Watching a German tv drama on TV3 `The Hostages of Costa Rica` right now. Looks interesting.

Trouble is it is entirely in German without subtitles.

Is this a new decree from our German overlords to force us into learning the native tongue of the Fatherland?

Or have TV3 unilaterally decided to make watching late night tv as unintelligible as possible?

It`s on until 3.10 am if any kind German speaker wishes to tell me whats going on.

Tea Party Patriot

It's a step up from Psychic Readings Live.

Papillon

Yeah I stuck that on a while ago, I wonder if someone just forgot to press the subtitles button or is it intentional?
eejits either way.

Warrior of Destiny

Ich finde es sehr interessant. Naturlich ich werde du hilsft wenn es fertig ist.

(I find it very interesting. Naturally I will help you when it is finished.)

Tea Party Patriot

I'd be more concerned about the subliminal messages they are broadcasting .....
"You want to vote for Sinn Féin, You want to vote for Sinn Féin, You want to vote for Sinn Féin, You want to vote for Sinn Féin, You want to vote for Sinn Féin" :lol:

devnull

It's a story about of a group of German holiday-makers stuck in Cyprus during the financial crisis.
Judging from the breakdown of society and jungle growth on Nicosia's main street, I'd say the ATMs stopped working about 45 minutes ago.

Dub01

I'd be more concerned about the subliminal messages they are broadcasting .....
I really hope you have paid your Irish tv licence Cruimh. This sort of quality tv drama can`t come cheap...

R

Ramps

Watching a German tv drama on TV3 `The Hostages of Costa Rica` right now. Looks interesting.

Is this a new decree from our German overlords to force us into learning the native tongue of the Fatherland?

Or have TV3 unilaterally decided to make watching late night tv as unintelligible as possible?

It`s on until 3.10 am if any kind German speaker wishes to tell me whats going on.
Well, is it any good or what? ;)

Dub01

Warrior of Destiny

Even wurst -

Eat German Bangers, Hein!
Buy Krupp. . . . Need a washing machine? Try Bosch. . . . Your national team will lose 6-1 to us. . . .

InsideImDancing

Wtf? :)

R

Ramps

I can`t tell. Although the lead actress is quite attractive.
Sexist basterd. :)

Fair play to you for watching a film you can't follow. Now you know how I feel when folk start debating global warming...

Dub01

Sexist basterd. :)

Fair play to you for watching a film you can't follow. Now you know how I feel when folk start debating global warming...
I don`t know why, but i keep expecting them to turn on the subtitles.

Admittedly, i did develop a love of European cinema through an adolescent phase of watching foreign language movies in the hope of seeing a bare tit..

General Urko

Ironically the European country we most closely resembled when I was a teenager, Albania*, today broadcasts a lot on TV on its national stations from Italy and Britain (the late great Norman Wisdom was a cult hero there with subtitles rather than dubbing. The net result is that even poorly formally educated Albanians can speak English and Italian!
The Dutch in many respects the opposite of us in the 80s deliberately made cable TV cheap so as to make it accessible to all and subtitled its imported TV programmes rather than dubbed, everyone from 5 years upwards speaks at least English, mind you professionals usually have the worst English as they were probably concentrating on studying their subjects in depth rather than English!
* At least they had sunshine and a better chance of getting laid than us!

Last edited:

Dub01

Oh sh.ite. Tasty lead actress has developed Stockholm syndrome.

Nemesiscorporation

Thats just TV3 being idiotic.

The majority of German history, archeology, scientific (lots), soap operas and sci-fi shows in Germany are made with English, Chinese, Arabic, Spanish, Portuguese and most other European subtitles for external market. The idiots in TV3 need to learn to press a button or more likely drop there english-centric xenophobia and just get on with there job.

Examples: I have a lot of lectures from the Max Planck Institute and the Perry Rhodan sci-fi series on DVD which have numerous subtitles, including english and english for hard of hearing.