Twattering Trolls

between the bridges

For once I'm not having a dig at any one side, rather all sides and all of us...

A DUP MLA has said that while she can take robust political debate on social media, personal abuse she, her party leader and others have been subject to has gone too far.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/i-can-take-political-debate-but-abuse-unacceptable-mla-carla-lockhart-calls-on-twitter-to-get-tough-on-trolls-36810374.html

All parties have come out quickly and rightly to condemn these trolls, but lets be honest virtually everywan on here myself included has strayed into the personal looks and abuse. Now that's not to say public figures cannot be criticized for their actions or views but perhaps it's time we considered what it is we are actually saying...

Niall996

Feeling some posters remorse there?

between the bridges

Feeling some posters remorse there?
Being honest nail, ye should try it sometime, now have ye any comment on the content of the OP or are ye just here to troll?...

Niall996

Being honest nail, ye should try it sometime, now have ye any comment on the content of the OP or are ye just here to troll?...
I don't see any of the nasty comments in the article so it's hard to have an opinion. They may or may not have been over the line. I'm assuming they were about their physical appearance but it doesn't really specify. Or else I scanned the article too quickly, being deeply immersed as I am in defending one of yours elsewhere.

publicrealm

For once I'm not having a dig at any one side, rather all sides and all of us...

A DUP MLA has said that while she can take robust political debate on social media, personal abuse she, her party leader and others have been subject to has gone too far.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/i-can-take-political-debate-but-abuse-unacceptable-mla-carla-lockhart-calls-on-twitter-to-get-tough-on-trolls-36810374.html

All parties have come out quickly and rightly to condemn these trolls, but lets be honest virtually everywan on here myself included has strayed into the personal looks and abuse. Now that's not to say public figures cannot be criticized for their actions or views but perhaps it's time we considered what it is we are actually saying...
I think that is a nice thought.

But P.ie is infested with cretinous bigots with the result that large numbers of decent posters have left and more are leaving in droves. The remaining mods are swamped and unable or too knackered and disillusioned to cope.

The groups are a refuge for posters who want to have balanced and respectful discussions - but the groups tend to isolate good posters from the main board and leave the field to the feral mob.

It's been said many times - but I think the place is really on its last legs now.

between the bridges

But P.ie is infested with cretinous bigots with the result that large numbers of decent posters have left and more are leaving in droves. The remaining mods are swamped and unable or too knackered and disillusioned to cope.

The groups are a refuge for posters who want to have balanced and respectful discussions - but the groups tend to isolate good posters from the main board and leave the field to the feral mob.

It's been said many times - but I think the place is really on its last legs now.
Numbers are certainly down, Nordie OPs used to rarely make the 'top ten' but now virtually any OP appears on it...

former wesleyan

************************ off you stupid ************************ ! This is Irelands ************************************g premier ************************************g website so it is !

publicrealm

'Bigots' was a poor choice of words on my part - I genuinely didn't mean to refer to the Nordie forum - I have learned that many contributors (not too many mind) have a sense of humour and show some respect for opposing views - perhaps more so than on the main fora.

'Cretins' would have sufficed.

between the bridges

'Bigots' was a poor choice of words on my part - I genuinely didn't mean to refer to the Nordie forum - I have learned that many contributors (not too many mind) have a sense of humour and show some respect for opposing views - perhaps more so than on the main fora.

'Cretins' would have sufficed.
Chillax, I didn't take it that way, just I had notice moi's brilliant OP's making the top ten more often...fecking mexicant...

AhNowStop

Feck me :shock: .... that’s two sensible posts in 1 day ..... are you ok ?

As for the OP, I would say a bit of light hearted hilarity on a forum which will never be seen by the person is ok as long as it’s not too OTT ....

Very personal stuff or stuff directed at a person in such a way that they “will” see it, with the intent to purposely demean & hurt is a different story ...

Glad all parties came out to condemn it ....

between the bridges

Feck me :shock: .... that’s two sensible posts in 1 day ..... are you ok ?.
Just because yer a one trick pony doesn't mean we all are...

theloner

SF's taking advantage of social media has been a big contributory factor. It's obviously a great idea for them to rally some youth, but there are also the negatives. SF is undoubtedly the king of social media in NI politics but folly of youth etc has come back to bite them on the arse, not realising the internet is forever. Typing things a few years down the line you'll hit a redner over. Sure a few of us have been there *cough cough*.

I prefer the good old fashioned bullying, like when Carla Lockhart's MP colleague, Ian Paisley Jr, repeatedly interrupted Monica McWilliams's speech with cow noises, 'moo moo moo' and howling 'stupid women' at her and her party colleagues.

between the bridges

Moi should qualify that moi has no problems with us anonymous posters ripping the sh1te outta each other...

theloner

It would be very hard to poke fun at my appearance, or intellect for that matter.

Niall996

It's not always inappropriate to challenge a politicians appearance. They are elected to represent. Some of them need to wash a bit more often, do their hair once in a while and get some wardrobe advise.

theloner

It's not always inappropriate to challenge a politicians appearance. They are elected to represent. Some of them need to wash a bit more often, do their hair once in a while and get some wardrobe advise.
Didn't Brexit Dave C tell Jezza to put on a proper suit and do up his tie in Westmonster.

between the bridges

It would be very hard to poke fun at my appearance, or intellect for that matter.
Indeed, such would be reserved for anonymous posters referring to themselves in illeism...

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies