• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Two big names leave the UUP

Northern Voice

Big names? Ringland could not even capitalise on Peter Robinson's demise in loyalist East Belfast and was defeated by Alliance's Naomi Long, whilst Bradshaw was a complete unknown until her failed campaign in South Belfast.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
Big names? Ringland could not even capitalise on Peter Robinson's demise in loyalist East Belfast and was defeated by Alliance's Naomi Long, whilst Bradshaw was a complete unknown until her failed campaign in South Belfast.
They were both parliamentary candidates. They're as big a name as the UUP have muster these days.

SlabMurphy

Website
www.dublin.ie
Lovely :). Unionism dying by a thousand cuts, no one deserves it better.

physicist

Long was a more cross spectrum candidate though ... which can't be said for Rodney Conner.

Perhaps if Unionists pulled out and backed Vashundra Kamble in Fermanagh South Tyrone, maybe Michelle Gildernew would've lost her seat.

sport02

The UUP are trying to model themselves now on the DUP, they ain't going to get their lost voters back.
Elliot will do his best, will probably lose more members, and just before the party is on its death bed, it will probably merge with the DUP, leaving a void for a choice within unionism, but that is what you get by electing a dinorsaur to run the already crippled UUP.

former wesleyan

Good to hear Ringland's out. Maybe he'll get some sense and move to the Republic and live a civilised life.

NeilW

Not Unionism, the UUP. It actually helps the DUP solidify it's place as the biggest party in N.I.
Not long before UKUP replace them as 2nd biggest unionist party, eh? What with all those seats you have predicted for them in the past.

You know, that's a really cheap and pathetic gibe. But what the hey.

physicist

The UUP are trying to model themselves now on the DUP, they ain't going to get their lost voters back.
Elliot will do his best, will probably lose more members, and just before the party is on its death bed, it will probably merge with the DUP, leaving a void for a choice within unionism, but that is what you get by electing a dinorsaur to run the already crippled UUP.
Well Tom Elliot himself has said:

When I hear calls from the DUP for unionist unity, and if they mean a single party, my answer is clear and simple -- you will not see it under my leadership and I cannot see it in my own lifetime. I want to see the entire electorate treated with respect -- not treated for the convenience of the elected. Tom Elliott doesn’t do political dynasties.

physicist

Not Unionism, the UUP. It actually helps the DUP solidify its place as the biggest party in N.I.
... losing Ringland and Bradshaw?

Do you really think their voters' vote will go to Robinson and Spratt respectively if someone else stood? :shock:

physicist

Ian Parsley to go next ... maybe all three to jump to either the Tories or the APNI? ;)
RE: Parsley
I’ve had brought to my attention a rumour that I am (or was) about to stand as an Ulster Unionist in the forthcoming Assembly Election. A cursory reading of this very blog would soon have quashed that one!
My position upon selection as the Conservative candidate for the Assembly Election in July was that, should the party leadership determine that the link with the Ulster Unionists should continue, I would be prepared to stand on the same slate provided that slate was committed to what I termed at the selection meeting “responsible, normalised and anti-sectarian politics”. The party leadership indicated that intent in late July and I repeated my willingness to stand on a joint slate should the leaderships of both parties agree it, again provided that this was based on what the leadership termed in the letter “mainstream, non-sectarian politics”. However, it was apparent to me by September that (in line with my private expectations) the Ulster Unionist Party had failed that test, with neither leadership candidate prepared to commit to a partnership on the necessary basis. (Of course, bizarrely, it could be argued after Laurence Robertson’s contribution to the Union 2021 series that the Conservatives themselves failed that test, but I am prepared to accept that the Secretary of State has greater priorities than reprimanding his former number two!)
I have repeated my outrage at the position, even at the beginning of October, that the Conservative Party centrally is not able to recognise this straightforward position and commit to reversing its instructions from July and making a real effort in Northern Ireland. When I raised this with the Secretary of State, he asked me to wait until Conference, and thus I am doing so – but it is a matter of public record that I have now spent 9 of 13 months in the Conservative Party as a “candidate in limbo”. What a farce!
I will speak to and promote ideas alongside good politicians in all parties (and all parties have them). Should the Conservatives centrally show a changed attitude to Northern Ireland at Conference, I will support them as best I can. If not, I will endorse the candidates of the party nearest to advocating a responsible economic policy and non-sectarian politics. It is perfectly plain which one that is currently!

Should be interesting to see if the Tories will stand in the Assembly elections.

vinoboy

Might surprise some people ,but these guys are unknown as politicians outwith the poltical/media bubble. Ringlan is still known as ex rugby player, maybe they will join their natural home of Alliance .Not sure it will loose any voters or bring any back .

physicist

Might surprise some people ,but these guys are unknown as politicians outwith the poltical/media bubble. Ringland is still known as ex rugby player, maybe they will join their natural home of Alliance .Not sure it will loose any voters or bring any back .
Quite Funny if Bradshaw went to the Alliance all things considered.

TrueBlue84

Amusingly clueless thread this has turned into.

1. Ringland couldn't even muster a second placed finish in East Belfast. Threw a hissy fit when he didn't get his preferred leader. Not a massive loss.
2. Bradshaw hasn't left the UUP yet. Was always unlikely to get the Stormont nod ahead of a sitting Minister but disappointing that she didn't get the number 2 spot.
3. Parsley has never been in the UUP to my knowledge.

JoeHickey

Not Unionism, the UUP. It actually helps the DUP solidify it's place as the biggest party in N.I.
How can the DUP "solidify" its place as the party in NI when Sinn Féin polled the largest number of votes in the last 2 elections?? Your anti-sf bais showing again. Let just repeat it for you SF polled the largest number of Votes in the last 2 elections

physicist

How can the DUP "solidify" its place as the party in NI when Sinn Féin polled the largest number of votes in the last 2 elections?? Your anti-sf bais showing again. Let just repeat it for you SF polled the largest number of Votes in the last 2 elections
He means regain the position as the party which polled the largest number of votes ... which probably will happen once they field candidates in Fermanagh South Tyrone and North Down, and if the turnouts are normal, two constituencies in which it was the dominant party in the last elections ... in comparison to South Belfast where Sinn Fein were the 5th largest party. It's the basis of 4-5 quotas to 1.

I'd imagine there will be a low enough turnout to suit both of these parties' interests.

Scipio

Amusingly clueless thread this has turned into.

1. Ringland couldn't even muster a second placed finish in East Belfast. Threw a hissy fit when he didn't get his preferred leader. Not a massive loss.
Ringland's a good guy. It's people like him who might, just might, have saved the UUP.

As it is, this simply rubberstamps DUP dominance, and the overtly religious right-wing tilt of parties representing the Unionist electorate. I can't think that that's a good thing for Unionism (or "Catholic Unionism") going forward.

Rocky

Bad news for the UUP, but I think it was fairly inevitable with the election of Elliot over McCrea. The UUP are never going to beat the DUP on their right. They just aren't and trying to do so, will just destroy the party. At that Unionism needs party competition and needs a moderate Unionist party as of course there are moderate Unionists out there.

Right now it looks like the Alliance will take that vote, but they are a cross community party, even if most of their voters are Unionists and I wouldn't like to see Northern Ireland lose it's one cross community party either.

Popular Threads

Most Replies