• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Two children (12 + 6) awarded €15,000 (€7,500 each) after being trapped in Lidl lift for 30 Mins

YesSireeeBob

This has to be one of the worst cases of compo culture.

When I first read the story I thought the children were trapped in the lift alone but they were with their mother.

I think a 100 euro voucher would have done.

Two children awarded €7,500 each after being trapped in Lidl lift for 30 minutes - Courts, National News - Independent.ie

Barrister David Richardson told the court that six-year-old Dawson Wilson was with his mother Gwendolyn and his cousin Luke Wilson (12) in the lift on June 25, 2011 when it stuck.

He said the incident happened in Lidl’s Cork Street, Dublin, store and both children suffered psychological injuries and retained a fear of lifts because of their experience.

Mr Richardson said Ms Wilson and the children were trapped in the lift which had broken down for half an hour before she managed to prise open the doors.

He said both children had attended their GP, Dr Barbara Smyth, Crumlin Road, Dublin. They suffered sleeplessness and anxiety following the incident.

Cellach

At first I agreed but then:
Mr Richardson said Ms Wilson and the children were trapped in the lift which had broken down for half an hour before she managed to prise open the doors.
Why did a customer have to rescue themselves from a broken lift?

Tea Party Patriot

At first I agreed but then: Why did a customer have to rescue themselves from a broken lift?
Impatience? Anyone finding themselves in this situation should wait for the profession maintenance people to fix the problem, doing so yourself could be highly dangerous.

In my opinion the award is ridiculous, and as the OP said indicative of a compo (sic..) culture.

southwestkerry

At first I agreed but then: Why did a customer have to rescue themselves from a broken lift?
who knows, may be mom did a bit off thinking on the spot before the euro sign flashed before her eyes.

Roisin3

Unreal. I was trapped in a lift for almost an hour a few years ago. I freaked out as I was near dying to pee. Is it too late for me to go back and sue?

Truth.ie

Psychological injuries??
Dragging your kids through Court would have that affect alright.
How many floors does a Lidl store have btw?

Cellach

Impatience? Anyone finding themselves in this situation should wait for the profession maintenance people to fix the problem, doing so yourself could be highly dangerous.

In my opinion the award is ridiculous, and as the OP said indicative of a compo (sic..) culture.
who knows, may be mom did a bit off thinking on the spot before the euro sign flashed before her eyes.
Or alternatively, there was nothing in place where by anyone stuck in the lift could call for help, and they were left on their own for half an hour until they forced their own way out, hence the payout.

Roisin3

Or alternatively, there was nothing in place where by anyone stuck in the lift could call for help, and they were left on their own for half an hour until they forced their own way out, hence the payout.
Or they just freaked out when trapped. It happens. I never thought I would freak out being trapped in a lift but I did.

collina

When I was a kid, I'd have done two days in the store freezer for a curleywurley.

Ruff says Flaherty

I thought they maybe had a legitimate case, then I saw the women's name was Gwendolyn.

As a parent my sole function would have been to make the episode as much fun as possible for my kids.

Maybe I'd have words to say to the company later but my first focus would be to make sure the kids were calm enough to avoid have them brought to the doctor afterwards.

Turn it into an adventure for them. Get them to draw pictures for school afterwards and to tell all their mates about it.

I might be depriving them of a payout, and I might be doing their job for the company, but if I walk out of the lift with a child who isn't traumatised at all then bugger the money.

My first instinct would be to make it into a non-compo situation. Not for the good of the company, but for the longterm good of my kids.

Last edited:

olamp

This has to be one of the worst cases of compo culture.

When I first read the story I thought the children were trapped in the lift alone but they were with their mother.

I think a 100 euro voucher would have done.

Two children awarded €7,500 each after being trapped in Lidl lift for 30 minutes - Courts, National News - Independent.ie
What a load of utter rubbish--what terrible example for a mother to give to her children -sick making really.Some people will do anything to exact money for nothing .Who was the judge who awarded this money? I know I could find out if I look it up but I will not waste my time any further on this disgraceful story.

ManOfReason

Sure they have to be awarded something or else how would their solicitors get paid. The legal system in Ireland is the biggest scam in the country.

Unreal. I was trapped in a lift for almost an hour a few years ago. I freaked out as I was near dying to pee. Is it too late for me to go back and sue?
I'd have peed. In the corner and thrown my t-shirt on it and I'd have used the phone to tell the lift people that I needed a new one.

damus

How long did the children suffer from anxiety and insomnia, was it initial and/or middle insomnia, what kind of diagnostic instrument did the GP use, and did the GP even refer them to psych's or for counselling?

Mountaintop

Think the award was actually 7500 euro each plus a stepladder and some ski-goggles...

(Right or wrong, I don't find the quantum surprising....unfortunately)

Boy M5

Gwendolyn, Dawson. WTF?

If they were called Senan, Caoimhe and lived on off shore island they wouldn't have claimed a cent.

Crazy horse 6

They deserve it. A company like that should have their lifts serviced on a regular basis. Good luck to them hope they get a nice holiday out of it.

EvotingMachine0197

They deserve it. A company like that should have their lifts serviced on a regular basis. Good luck to them hope they get a nice holiday out of it.
How do you know that the lift wasn't serviced regularly? It says nothing in the article about the service schedule.

How long did the children suffer from anxiety and insomnia, was it initial and/or middle insomnia, what kind of diagnostic instrument did the GP use, and did the GP even refer them to psych's or for counselling?
We'd need to know all of that, of course.

My point is that I'd have been in wait-untl-you-see-the-size-of-the-guys-that-rescue-us-mode from the start. "Won't you have a great story to tell the class? etc.

My first instinct as a parent would be that. You cannot allow the event to become traumatic.

Maybe later I'd ask the company for a modest sum for protecting their interests.

Last edited: