two irish films about drugs and travellers fighting in sundance film festival

reknaw

Perhaps more important than the themes/contents of the movies is their artistic standard. If they are well made, the acting and cinematography is good and they win critical acclaim and/or awards, that will be good for Ireland's image.:)

I don't believe many people form a stereotype of Ireland and its people on the basis of what they see in a movie and do not know or want to find out anything else about the place. And if they are that narrow in their thinking, why should we give a toss about their opinions anyway?:):)

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
Perhaps more important than the themes/contents of the movies is their artistic standard. If they are well made, the acting and cinematography is good and they win critical acclaim and/or awards, that will be good for Ireland's image.:)

I don't believe many people form a stereotype of Ireland and its people on the basis of what they see in a movie and do not know or want to find out anything else about the place. And if they are that narrow in their thinking, why should we give a toss about their opinions anyway?:):)
The story is paramount.

Plays and cinema were invented for non readers. That's what I told Bernard Hill's girlfriend in 1971. :)

justme1

The story is paramount.

Plays and cinema were invented for non readers. That's what I told Bernard Hill's girlfriend in 1971. :)
Hi Maurice,
As i'm sure your aware Lyric FM are doing a show on Ludwig van Beethoven tomorrow,sounds very interesting,i'll be listening in myself.

typical

Is this a good image to portray for Ireland?
It's not as if Ireland is drug free and travellers never fight. What does image have to do with it, they're films, not propaganda. It's not how I live but who'd make a film about my boring life, I wouldn't even watch it.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
Hi Maurice,
As i'm sure your aware Lyric FM are doing a show on Ludwig van Beethoven tomorrow,sounds very interesting,i'll be listening in myself.
When,Where,Who? Cannot find info about the great Beethoven on the lyric fm page.

The Quiet Man and Ryan's Daughter started tourist booms in Cong and the Dingle peninsula.

Darby O' Gill and the Little People is a classic...loved by children of all ages.

Sean O'Brian

Was The Commitments?, The General, Into the West, etc.
I thought The General invited the viewer to identify and sympathise with Cahill and see the Gardaí as villains and was repugnant for that reason. The portrayal of him in Veronica Guerin was much better.

Forth and Conkers

two Irish films about drugs and travellers fighting in sundance film festival. Is this a good image to portray for Ireland?

'The Guard' & 'Knuckle' Selected For Sundance | The Irish Film & Television Network
It is an image that the makers of the Irish films thought would do well at the film festivals and looks like they were right. I have seen clips from the films and they were yeeurgh.
I did read in a newspaper that an actor from "Give My Head Peace" was doing well with some film that he had made.

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies