Two Tribes: A deeply divided society or not?

Mickeymac

Good article by Paul Nolan here and very worthy of discussion and hear the views of the folk most involved and live each and every day in such a divided society.

The UK’s decision to leave the EU has coincided with a renewed focus on demographic shifts in Northern Ireland. The rapid increase in the Catholic population and the decline of the Protestant majority has been well catalogued. What is less well known outside the North, however, is the extent to which the two communities still live apart after 20 years of the peace process, and how tension between British and Irish identities remains unresolved.
We explore those issues today and next week in a unique mapping project published in The Irish Times, on irishtimes.com and on Belfast journalism website thedetail.tv. The colour-coded maps, by software engineer and data analyst Dr Mathew Doherty, illustrate how patterns of division have persisted. They use government data from each census held in 1971, 1981, 1991, 2001 and 2011 to show where Protestants (in blue) and Catholics (shown in green) live in Northern Ireland.
There are many reasons why divisions remain, including the fact that public sector housing estates are deeply divided.

Two tribes: A divided Northern Ireland

PBP voter

Maybe one day you might visit Ireland and find out.

It's nothing compared to your slums in the US.

Mickeymac

Maybe one day you might visit Ireland and find out.

It's nothing compared to your slums in the US.

Thank you for addressing the many points contained in the OP, (NOT) you have just made a further idiot of yourself pal by ignoring important issues concerning your place of domicile and chose instead to use the ol chestnut...."look over there"

Disgusting IMO, you are a disgrace man.:mad:

Strawberry

Thank you for addressing the many points contained in the OP, (NOT) you have just made a further idiot of yourself pal by ignoring important issues concerning your place of domicile and chose instead to use the ol chestnut...."look over there"

Ignore the troll.

Its an interesting article, although it ends rather abruptly. I get the impression the writer had a lot more to say but ran out of space, kudos to him for the suggestion that Theresa May takes a bus tour of Belfast though. She might learn something.

Mickeymac

Ignore the troll.

Its an interesting article, although it ends rather abruptly. I get the impression the writer had a lot more to say but ran out of space, kudos to him for the suggestion that Theresa May takes a bus tour of Belfast though. She might learn something.

Thank you Strawbs, trolls are intolerable and best ignored, anyways.....back on topic........ the way I read his (Nolan) comments would suggest to me this is but only Part one of his full article and if that is the case, I look forward to part two and so should everyone else particularly unionists.

cricket

Thank you Strawbs, trolls are intolerable and best ignored, anyways.....back on topic........ the way I read his (Nolan) comments would suggest to me this is but only Part one of his full article and if that is the case, I look forward to part two and so should everyone else particularly unionists.
Have you stopped calling them "onionists" ?

cricket

If that is your contribution to the OP, I suggest you move on and troll elsewhere pal.
Genuine question based on your pathological insults posted here about the unionist community.

Mickeymac

Genuine question based on your pathological insults posted here about the unionist community.

Totally off topic pal, there are threads on the forum which deal with the various names used by each tribe to describe the other.......got it now?

PBP voter

The way you treat minorities in the US is a disgrace.

Yet you have no shame.

former wesleyan

N.I. Is a divided society. Water is wet.

belfast1981

I don't think the divide is realistically as big as we think it is.

Yes, on the outside it does look like 2 divided societies however when you start to look into both sides, you will see both have a lot more in common and regardless of being protestant or catholic are all part of a larger religion.

Though NI does see the Catholic/Protestant divide as a social tag more than religious tag on a day to day level, we are mostly the same.

British and Irish history, for better or worse has been connected for a very long time. We are essentially the same in regards to culture & heritage since both have overlapped with each other for centuries.

The problem is not the 'tribes' on the ground being divided. Now more than ever the people of NI is closer than they ever have been and since GFA it has become more apparent with time just how similar the people on the island of Ireland are. It is the politics of the past that keep us truly divided now.

SideysGhost

Totally off topic pal, there are threads on the forum which deal with the various names used by each tribe to describe the other.......got it now?
Ignore that muppet cricket, he's been on here trolling NornIrn threads for donkey's years, hasn't got a fncking clue about the north whatsoever, but wastes no opportunity to parade his Cruiserologist ignorant nonsense. Contributes nothing constructive, waste of space, essentially a troll.

former wesleyan

And the weird thing about you is that you seem to have this personal need to ensure it stays divided. What's that all about, eh?
Take a look at where enforced unity was tried. The former Yugoslavia for starters. The human condition would seem to include a wish to be with ones own, whether you like it or not.

cricket

You know what I miss around here lately ? Those so-on-topic cartoons.

GDPR

They are tribalist, deeply divided and aggressive with it, but still have more in common with each other that they do with people in the republic.
I think that will be more of a block on any prospective UI than shinners like to think.

GDPR

Have you stopped calling them "onionists" ?
A lot of Unionists, and a majority of Unionist Politicians, are aptly labelled Onionists in that like Onions they have a tendency to make you cry. I think that the phrase was very witty of Mickeymac.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies