• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Two weeks to EU vote and polls take a massive swing in Brexit direction

How would you vote in Britain's in/out EU vote?

• Leave

Votes: 107 57.2%
  • Remain

Votes: 74 39.6%
  • Would not vote

Votes: 6 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sport02

A monmentus poll for leave side in tomorrow's Independent. 55%/45% in favour of Brexit camp.
I recall Sky News' political editor Faisil Islam say recently a referendum like this the change status side really needs a 5% cushion in the polls heading into a vote, basically to go against the establishment, you need a healthy lead, something that was not there in the Scottish polls.

Exclusive: polling carried out for ‘The Independent’ shows that 55 per cent of UK voters intend to vote for Britain to leave the EU in the 23 June referendum.
EU Referendum: Massive swing to Brexit

Last edited:

midlander12

Are we starting a new thread on this? I suppose the 'ready to pull the plug' one is a bit old, though extremely apposite tonight!

maxflinn

They'll remain I'd say. Though it might be close.

sport02

Are we starting a new thread on this? I suppose the 'ready to pull the plug' one is a bit old, though extremely apposite tonight!
With such a significant poll so close to voting day, I thought it deserved it's own thread. Don't think anyone predicted such a swing.

Sister Mercedes

Didn't similar thing happen a week before the Scottish vote, then swung back on voting day?

owedtojoy

One poll alone is of lesser significance. Last two ORB polls found the opposite by about +12 for Stay.

Any significance will only be in retrospect.

It is true the race had been visibly tightening - last time I checked it was about 51.4% to 48.6% for Stay.
Betting market odds are still firmly Stay.

Remember when the polls were going the other way? The mantra from the Leave camp was how wrong they
got the British General Election.

Dearghoul

If I was English, Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish and had a vote I would vote to leave also. Leave- you don't need the bureaucratic monster!
If you don't need the beaurocratic monster, Darren, can we pass on translating parking notices into Irish, in Brussels

Notachipanoaktree

I can't figure out why the Brexit count is so low. I thought you guys were completely over notions and fears of gods, demons and devils. Getting outta Europe is bit like the religious experience within the Multi-nationals. Anybody who just can't take the American Corporate Culture management style (Jehovah's Witnesse) is shunned by once friends now whispering in corners with guarded almost shy/coy glances from the good little girls......and boys.
When ye don't think 'God' is on your side anymore ye gotta just bite the bullet and say so.

Nothing to fear but fear itself. Go Brexit. To hell with the Corporate BullSh*ite.

sport02

Didn't Cameron make a surprise press conference this week one afternoon. Reported to have been feeling the pressure. I wonder is private polling being undertaken too and starting to rattle people.

BBC's Andrew Neil said earlier in the Irish context, polling is showing a big majority of protestants up north intend to vote leave.

midlander12

Didn't Cameron make a surprise press conference this week one afternoon. Reported to have been feeling the pressure. I wonder is private polling being undertaken too and starting to rattle people.

BBC's Andrew Neil said earlier in the Irish context, polling is showing a big majority of protestants up north intend to vote leave.
Ah don't worry the Shinners'll swing it for Remain. And if the margin in the other 3 countries is REALLY tight, they could swing the whole thing! The ironies of history....

im axeled

could it have anything to do with the news that pinnochio is heading over there canvassing for cameron's ponit of view

DJP

If you don't need the beaurocratic monster, Darren, can we pass on translating parking notices into Irish, in Brussels
The decision the Irish Govt. made a few months ago to seek another 180 Irish translators in the EU- on top of the over 50 (if not more) we have now- has strengthened my point of view strongly that the UK is better of leaving the UK. I would still agree with them leaving if the extra translators were not planned but the decision (which has been accepted by all other Govt. heads in the EU) increases a lot my dislike for the bureaucratic monster that the EU has become and which is becoming even more of.

sport02

So Enda is apparently to share a platform with Cameron in a few days in Manchester to shore up the Irish vote in Britain.

Two new polls due out tomorrow night. If this pattern emerges again, there'll be more than the kitchen sink thrown in the coming days.

OrderoftheDragon

Just like our 2 EU votes, the threats don't work and are more likely to infuriate the middle of the road voter but the threats are coming hard and heavy now.......keep it up Bremain, keep it up !

jmcc

So Enda is apparently to share a platform with Cameron in a few days in Manchester to shore up the Irish vote in Britain.
Should be good for another few thousand Irish BREXIT votes. Irish emigrants will remember the gombeen, coffin surfing scum like Kenny who inherit Dail seats and held this country back and forced hundreds of thousands to emigrate due to the failed economic policies of corruption and cronyism. Just what the Leave campaign needs, that villiage idiot -- the leprechaun king of the cronies -- telling them how to vote.

DJP

I'd like to see as much free trade and free movement as possible in Europe, but I don't believe the EU is necessary for this.

Big centralised powers are fragile and prone to sudden collapse. I'd even be weary of the nationstate having too much power; the Swiss setup is more my cup of espresso.

A Europe of dynamic, semi-autonomous competing cantons with minimal national governments; and a small, transparent oversight committee that acts as a custodian of a set mutually beneficial treaties that ensure free movement and free trade, without meddling in domestic policies -- this would be my ideal vision for Europe.
I agree with most of what you say. I was thinking that we still need a EU: just not the EU we have today. I don't think that there should be free movement along with welfare entitlements for most economic migrants either.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies