Tx fm

Orbit v2

Any fans out there? I knew it was closing, but I suppose wasn't a committed enough listener to care sufficiently. But, I'm missing it now. I'd love to get the lowdown on why it closed. I thought Phantom had gone very stale but the relaunched TX was excellent for the last year or two ....

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
Any fans out there? I knew it was closing, but I suppose wasn't a committed enough listener to care sufficiently. But, I'm missing it now. I'd love to get the lowdown on why it closed. I thought Phantom had gone very stale but the relaunched TX was excellent for the last year or two ....
low listenership ratings...

and archaic rating system Farewell TXFM: Why has a radio station clearly loved by artists and listeners alike failed? - Independent.ie
the way radio listenership is calculated is outdated and that the station is the victim of an antiquated way of calculating popularity. “The only reason TXFM are not still on the radio is because the ratings did not reflect their actual audience.” says McGuinness adding “I think there's a big question about the way the ratings are decided.”
Listenership figures known as the Joint National Listenership Research (JNLR) are calculated by Ipsos MBRI on behalf of the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (BAI).

The JNLR’s estimate listenership by collecting data from interviewees from a sample sets around to country, forming a national profile of circa 16,600 homes; rather than collecting live data. In April 2016 the JNLR report indicated that TXFM had as little as 0.8 percent of total weekday listenership between 7am- 7pm.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Ah, I thought that this thread was a tribute to The Field Marshall.

Disappointing.

Orbit v2

Growing up in the 70's/80's meant you were very familiar with pirate radio. Ignoring the technical illegality, these stations delivered programming that people wanted to hear.

One of the things that drives me nuts about legal "commercial" radio (in Dublin at least) is that the need to compete is so great that all stations tend to deliver the same sort of programming at the same time (eg late night talk show drivel). How is that good for consumers?

I'd much prefer to have a multitude of old style pirate stations delivering different content. TX was the only Dublin station with an identity that was remotely distinct.

storybud1

free music streaming simply changed everything, I am genuinely sad to hear Phantoms successor is gone, not that I listen to any of the other garbage on Irish radio (except Lyric FM)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bTpp8PQSog

If that doesn't bring out the kid in you , then nothing will,,,

an modh coinniolach

I used listen to it quite a bit during the daily commute or if I was in the car for work.

What I found was that, for a slightly older person, there was a great mix of music: indie and rock 'classics' that you'd know alongside new music. In that sense I think it was a good compliment to music streaming and I found the sorts of music I was listening to expanding for the first time in years. That there was a decent chunk of new Irish music in that was a bonus.

It's a pity that there doesn't seem to have been the audience to sustain it.

I won't be holding my breath for any of the other FM stations to play The Pixies every other day or, as happened over the summer, my morning commute to be punctuated by SLF's 'Alternative Ulster'.

nicenin

Am astounded they couldn't make it work. Chart music is very tight in quantum with a narrow demographic and at least four channels playing nothing else.

TX fed into the lineup of all major festivals around the country and bands that feature on all the major international blogs.

Will be very much missed.

Mitsui2

Ah, I thought that this thread was a tribute to The Field Marshall.

Disappointing.
Just about every cantankerous OP (not saying for a single moment that the present OP is cantankerous!) you see is an unconscious tribute to the Marshal.

The difference being that those who write them lack the Marsh's essential gravitas.

RepublicOfLuas

I stopped listening to it when it became TX. I started listening to Phantom in 1997, before school, after school, after dinner, before bed.
I loved the fact I could listen to indie, alt rock, grunge etc. It was very rare to hear non-commercial on Irish radio back then.
Then the dancey stuff came in to the equation. Can't be dealing with that :)

Supra

I liked txfm but the musical snobbery was rife.

GDPR

Have you people nothing to be doing with your lives other than feckin' around with radio dials looking for radio stations no one else is listening to?

Lara2

Have you people nothing to be doing with your lives other than feckin' around with radio dials looking for radio stations no one else is listening to?
Some of us only have a radio. I miss TX FM too and am sad to see it go, I listened to it's previous incarnation Phantom in the 80's when it was a pirate station playing indie, rock and alternative music.

I would listen to TX FM some evenings and the weekends. I liked the music and it was different from the other stations like 104FM, 98FM, SPIN, all carbon copies of each other and all playing the same music, usually Bieber, Rihanna, and other stuff that hurts my head.

The music of TX FM may not have been to your liking but it was the only station that played alternative, punk and rock and from reading the second post above by Lostexpectation, I'm pretty p1ssed off to see how the listernship ratings were only based on 16,000 households*, about 20 people lost their jobs in all since the closure was announced a few months ago.

the way radio listenership is calculated is outdated and that the station is the victim of an antiquated way of calculating popularity. “The only reason TXFM are not still on the radio is because the ratings did not reflect their actual audience.” says McGuinness adding “I think there's a big question about the way the ratings are decided.”
Listenership figures known as the Joint National Listenership Research (JNLR) are calculated by Ipsos MBRI on behalf of the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (BAI).

The JNLR’s estimate listenership by collecting data from interviewees from a sample sets around to country, forming a national profile of circa 16,600 homes; rather than collecting live data. In April 2016 the JNLR report indicated that TXFM had as little as 0.8 percent of total weekday listenership between 7am- 7pm.

nicenin

Some of us only have a radio. I miss TX FM too and am sad to see it go, I listened to it's previous incarnation Phantom in the 80's when it was a pirate station playing indie, rock and alternative music.

I would listen to TX FM some evenings and the weekends. I liked the music and it was different from the other stations like 104FM, 98FM, SPIN, all carbon copies of each other and all playing the same music, usually Bieber, Rihanna, and other stuff that hurts my head.

The music of TX FM may not have been to your liking but it was the only station that played alternative, punk and rock and from reading the second post above by Lostexpectation, I'm pretty p1ssed off to see how the listernship ratings were only based on 16,000 households*, about 20 people lost their jobs in all since the closure was announced a few months ago.

I think the RAJARs in UK are still computed the same way. Crazy that online and app listenership to the likes of BBC Radio 1 is not counted in tallying listeners.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Just about every cantankerous OP (not saying for a single moment that the present OP is cantankerous!) you see is an unconscious tribute to the Marshal.

The difference being that those who write them lack the Marsh's essential gravitas.

Deserving of his own TV programme

New Threads

Most Replies