Type 2 Diabetes to be eradicated?

RasherHash

Nearly half of patients have reversed type 2 diabetes in a "watershed" trial, say doctors in Newcastle and Glasgow.
People spent up to five months on a low-calorie diet of soups and shakes to trigger massive weight loss.
Isobel Murray, 65, who had weighed 15 stone, lost over four stone (25kg) and no longer needs diabetes pills. She says: "I've got my life back."

The charity Diabetes UK says the trial is a landmark and has the potential to help millions of patients.
Isobel, from Largs in North Ayrshire, was one of 298 people on the trial.

Her blood sugar levels were too high, and every time she went to the doctors they increased her medication.
So, she went on to the all-liquid diet for 17 weeks - giving up cooking and shopping. She even ate apart from her husband, Jim.

'I beat type 2 diabetes with 200-calorie drinks' - BBC News

Old Mr Grouser

Nearly half of patients have reversed type 2 diabetes in a "watershed" trial, say doctors in Newcastle and Glasgow.

"Nearly half", so it didn't work for most of them; Type 2 Diabetes will not be eradicated.

Sorry, Rash. Zoo.

ShoutingIsLeadership

People spent up to five months on a low-calorie diet of soups and shakes to trigger massive weight loss.
Isobel Murray, 65, who had weighed 15 stone, lost over four stone (25kg) and no longer needs diabetes pills. She says: "I've got my life back."

The charity Diabetes UK says the trial is a landmark and has the potential to help millions of patients.

Her blood sugar levels were too high, and every time she went to the doctors they increased her medication.
So, she went on to the all-liquid diet for 17 weeks - giving up cooking and shopping. She even ate apart from her husband, Jim.

She shat everything out of her and stopped gobbling cakes...Who knew?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Presumably now has anorexia, a large credit card bill for new clothes, and is unemployed because she kept fainting in the office for months.

mr_anderson

So instead of treating the symptom, they tackle the underlying cause.
And the symptom goes away.

Can we adopt the same strategy towards our health service, as well as homelessness, immigration and unemployment ?

Last edited:

razorblade

Type 2 unlike type 1 diabetes is primarily caused by bad eating habits and being overweight once you adjust to a healthier lifestyle it usually brings the condition under control and of course keeps your blood pressure at a normal level which also helps.

Gurdiev77

a low calorie , carb free diet has been known about as a way of reversing Type 2 Diabetes for a long time now.
Its only being rolled out now, as its been commodified and monetised.

Mushroom

a low calorie , carb free diet has been known about as a way of reversing Type 2 Diabetes for a long time now.
Its only being rolled out now, as its been commodified and monetised.
Being a type 2 diabetic myself, I had recently visited the Newcastle Uni site and looked at the sample 200 calorie menus that they suggest for those of us who want to be cured. But they all looked so unappealing that I decided that I'd prefer to continue with my dissolute, sybaritic lifestyle and contain my diabetes by means of the free meds that the HSE kindly supply me with every month.

(Of course if the HSE was to stop giving me those meds for free then I reckon that I'd change my approach very, very quickly indeed!)

dundealing

Duplicate Account
Being a type 2 diabetic myself, I had recently visited the Newcastle Uni site and looked at the sample 200 calorie menus that they suggest for those of us who want to be cured. But they all looked so unappealing that I decided that I'd prefer to continue with my dissolute, sybaritic lifestyle and contain my diabetes by means of the free meds that the HSE kindly supply me with every month.

(Of course if the HSE was to stop giving me those meds for free then I reckon that I'd change my approach very, very quickly indeed!)
:roll:

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Mushroom has met himself with two pints. And got up early in the morning to do it.

cunnyfunt

Its been proven, if enough weight is lost in and around the pancreas and liver they return to normal insulin production in most people. There are some variables. People have different tolerance levels to fat, hence some not all people with age and weight gain develop the condition in the first place.

Wagmore

Friend just diagnosed.Loved his pints and fat as a fool on the strength of it.

Degeneration X

So instead of treating the symptom, they tackle the underlying cause.
And the symptom goes away.

Can we adopt the same strategy towards our health service, as well as homelessness, immigration and unemployment ?
Prevention is always better than cure. ;)

Old Mr Grouser

Its been proven, if enough weight is lost in and around the pancreas and liver they return to normal insulin production in most people. There are some variables. People have different tolerance levels to fat, hence some not all people with age and weight gain develop the condition in the first place.
So a lot of people with this form of Diabetes can cure themselves by changing their diet.

But what will the other ones do?

Most likely they'll either be bedridden or else join the growing ranks of us that have to buy our medication for ourselves.

Mick Mac

Mick Mac

So the study revealed that if you eat well and stop being obese that you have high chance to stop being diabetic.

Mushroom

Precisely.

If the HSE want to save money then it needs to stop subsidising people (like me) who have become Type 2 diabetics due to lifestyle choices.

Mushroom

So the study revealed that if you eat well [*] and stop being obese that you have high chance to stop being diabetic.
* insert "exercise regularly" here.

Mick Mac

Precisely.

If the HSE want to save money then it needs to stop subsidising people (like me) who have become Type 2 diabetics due to lifestyle choices.
Keep yourself healthy mushroom.

New Threads