• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Typing - a new education policy

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Typing... lights went off on me recently when using my PC... & it struck me that I am far from a touch typer. Many of my friends are like me: that they'll type something short into Google rather than type a full URL. Whenever possible I copy & paste...

So I'm a hopeless typer & it is the type of thing that I really don't want to learn now. And ?...

Why isn't typing a mandatory item in schools, say like literacy & arithmetic ? It would be far easier to learn at age 4. Fast touch typing needs to be taught properly (actually they should teach Dvorak but whatnot).

This item to me is a no-brainer & a win-win... why not a party stick it into their manifesto ? A guarantee that by age 8 years old ,95% of children could type at x WPM ?

Or do our party's all love vague , high level, difficult to measure on ,hand waving policies ?

cYp

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
cyberianpan said:
Typing... lights went off on me recently when using my PC... & it struck me that I am far from a touch typer. Many of my friends are like me: that they'll type something short into Google rather than type a full URL. Whenever possible I copy & paste...

So I'm a hopeless typer & it is the type of thing that I really don't want to learn now. And ?...

Why isn't typing a mandatory item in schools, say like literacy & arithmetic ? It would be far easier to learn at age 4. Fast touch typing needs to be taught properly (actually they should teach Dvorak but whatnot).

This item to me is a no-brainer & a win-win... why not a party stick it into their manifesto ? A guarantee that by age 8 years old ,95% of children could type at x WPM ?

Or do our party's all love vague , high level, difficult to measure on ,hand waving policies ?

cYp
Thats a good idea ... may I steal it ?

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
rockofcashel said:
cyberianpan said:

cYp
Consider it yours, get it published first & then watch others "Lift" it :wink:

cYp

Bobb

learning to type has just got to be a much waste of time as learning shorthand is.
Improving OCR, voice recognition software and better user interfaces will render it as archaic as DOS commands

Ponzi

Bobb said:
learning to type has just got to be a much waste of time as learning shorthand is.
Improving OCR, voice recognition software and better user interfaces will render it as archaic as DOS commands
The only problem is how can we develop voice recognition software that will understand the Cork accent? :roll:

Bobb

Ponzi said:
Bobb said:
The only problem is how can we develop voice recognition software that will understand the Cork accent? :roll:
Elocution

Bobb

rockofcashel said:
cyberianpan said:

cYp
SF promise a typewriter for every school

FakeViking

Bobb said:

Those of us who still can use DOS commands (GUI shell f*ck offfffff) can do it in half the time! Remember DDT (not the poison!)??? For the novices here DDT was the original Dynamic Debugging Tool. It came with the OS. It was called User Testing.

Batch files FOREVER!!!

JCSkinner

Website
skinflicks.blogspot.com
FakeViking said:
Bobb said:

Those of us who still can use DOS commands (GUI shell f*ck offfffff) can do it in half the time! Remember DDT (not the poison!)??? For the novices here DDT was the original Dynamic Debugging Tool. It came with the OS. It was called User Testing.

Batch files FOREVER!!!
Nerd reminiscences. How horrific!

Nice idea on the typing in schools, cyberianpan. A much better idea than peeing away tens of millions of euro in teaching kids how to mow each other down in cars.

Carrier

Website
www.newrepublicanforum.ie
Bobb said:
I can't see that happening for a fair while. Voice recognition is totally unsuitable for the type of offices 90 per cent of people work in. And it's not as if learning to touch-type is that hard. I picked it up using a simple Mavis Beacon-type programme in three months. Definitely a good idea.

And eh, why is shorthand a waste of time?

Bobb

Carrier said:
Bobb said:
I can't see that happening for a fair while. Voice recognition is totally unsuitable for the type of offices 90 per cent of people work in.
I think the technology is already there really, it just takes processing power and more extensive algorithms. As chip speeds continue to double with ridiculous frequency how long do you think it'll take again?
Most people I know don't work in large noisy offices and anyway there are simple solutions to such problems. Been around for years too. Never seen the Sky sports commentators talking into their mikes up on the gantry?

Carrier said:
And it's not as if learning to touch-type is that hard. I picked it up using a simple Mavis Beacon-type programme in three months. Definitely a good idea.
3 months is a lot of time to spend with a dumb mavis beacon program.
Still, whatever floats your boat as they say :)

Carrier said:
And eh, why is shorthand a waste of time?
I never said it was, I said learning it was.

Accidental sock

Woo needs too type a knee mower?

Eye have bean you sing voice wreck cog knittin' software four weaks...

It's grate!!

cYp
In my day somebody who typed for their living was called a "typist" rather than a "typer".

Yet another idiotic OP.

gijoe

And this is in the current affairs forum of a political website...............why?

Weevil

Both my children learned to type using a PC learning game and now easily type at 50 wpm+. They see typing as natural as my generation would see handwriting. (Actually, my son's handwriting is awful)

vision

Both my children learned to type using a PC learning game and now easily type at 50 wpm+. They see typing as natural as my generation would see handwriting. (Actually, my son's handwriting is awful)
As is mine, but then I spend most of my time typing at 80 wpm. It does not seem to matter these days except when there is a deadline to meet and there is still employment out there, take the courts for example and that takes an even higher level of competence than the one or two digit attempt. I did shorthand also though I think this has more or less died, still use it but only for speed of taking something down rather than as part of any role.

Shpake