Tyrone, Armagh & Down are not Irish says Fine Gael

Joeyjoejoe

So says Brian Hayes, he's complaining about €60 million worth of school building contracts going to companies in the north.

These companies in Tyrone, Armagh and Down "can drive down costs and compete unfairly with Irish companies."

IE companies in Tyrone, Armagh and Down are not Irish, which means that Tyrone, Armagh and Down aren't Irish either.

“Every euro spent within Ireland is an investment in job creation. So it’s very disappointing that €60.5m worth of school building contracts have been awarded to companies located outside the State since 2008," he said.

All of the companies located "outside the State" are in the six counties, so this money is actually being spent "within Ireland", Mr Hayes!

Seriously they should drop this United Ireland Party charade.

Fine Gael complain about contracts going North - InsideIreland.ie

Scipio

There's no such country as the ROI, the name of the state is Ireland.

Idiotic comment from Hayes.

Chrisco

There's no such country as the ROI, the name of the state is Ireland.

Idiotic comment from Hayes.
You'd better stop referring to Britain as well then and start using it's formal name: the UK. France as well for that matter. Germany too... etc etc... :roll:

Scipio

Cruimh

The Republic of Ireland is a descriptive term for the state. The name according to the constitution though, is Ireland.

In this case, it actually gives Hayes a technical get out clause.
He doesn't need a get-out clause though - does he ?

After all The GFA clarified that none of the six counties are part of the state of Ireland, a.k.a. the ROI.

This is a potential banana skin for SF as the only cross border party - When their Northern Politicians push for jobs in NI now they are competing with the ROI.

Chrisco

The Republic of Ireland is a descriptive term for the state. The name according to the constitution though, is Ireland.

In this case, it actually gives Hayes a technical get out clause.
Right, but since that state doesn't include Northern Ireland, it would have been a bit pointless to write a comparison between 'Ireland and Ireland', when in one instance he meant the 32 county island, and in the other the 26 county state...

Amach na Casca

What a mean spirited, ill-thought out comment from Hayes.

st333ve

You'd better stop referring to Britain as well then and start using it's formal name: the UK.
But Britain and the UK aren't the same.

Britain is an island, the UK is Britain plus Northern Ireland.

When you say Britain you mean the island beside Ireland, when you say the UK you mean that island of Britain plus all other parts of the UK.
As explained here...

mickdotcom

Hayes is right they are part of a foreign country- I cant vote in their elections.

However public procurement tendering contracts and EU regulations kind of tie

the hands of any public body in this regard, so in effect we can consider

it lucky that such a contract went to firms outside this little country or ours

but only crossed the border into our neighbours country.

the upside is that the firm will Hopefully employ locals in the building process

and hence more money into the national coffers ( FAS have more concerts to go to)

we should however be reconsidering the monies that we have promised to road

and other infrastructure projects in the North.

No matter howe well I get on with my neghbour next door- I am not going to finance his new driveway when I have no money and owe gazillions

Cruimh

But Britain and the UK aren't the same.

Britain is an island, the UK is Britain plus Northern Ireland.

When you say Britain you mean the island beside Ireland, when you say the UK you mean that island of Britain plus all other parts of the UK.
As explained here...

Deliberate misrepresentation or just dim ?

The Passport doesn't say the United Kingdom of "Britain" and Northern Ireland .....

Amach na Casca

Why ?

1,250 jobs have gone outside of your state.
Don't get me wrong I can see his point of view, ie jobs gone out of the state and money lost to the exchequer etc. However its totally outside the spirit of cross border cooperation to turn his back on people in the northern state many of whom are Irish citizens who by force of circumstances find themselves inside the UK state. The partition of Ireland creates such anomalies and politicans should be sensitive to the fact.

Sync

He doesn't need a get-out clause though - does he ?
He doesn't. To be fair the sort of knuckle dragger that doesn't get his point isn't really worth appealing to anyway. If NI building contracts were being sent south it would be perfectly reasonable for any NI party to point that out. We're competing economies.

Estragon

He doesn't. To be fair the sort of knuckle dragger that doesn't get his point isn't really worth appealing to anyway. If NI building contracts were being sent south it would be perfectly reasonable for any NI party to point that out. We're competing economies.
So in my case I'm competing literally against my brothers and sisters a mile across the border.

What a moronic statement.

oboe

In these difficult times Hayes, like other politicians, have to do what's best for those who elect him. The fact is we are not a part of the ROI.

Doesn't mean I'm not Irish though

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies