UCC March 31 - Apr 2nd : Conference on Israel : Moved from Southampton University.

former wesleyan

"International Law and the State of Israel: Legitimacy, Responsibility and Exceptionalism"

Apparently drawn from the same list of speakers slated to appear at the cancelled Southampton debate. The list there was 45 anti-Israel and two supportive. Alan Johnston - the professor attacked by Loughnan in NUIG - is one of the pro speakers.

Nina Rosenwald
@ninarosenwald
24h
This upcoming conference in #Ireland on #Israel won't be neutral. It'll be a hate-fest. gatestoneinstitute.org/9701/ireland-c… pic.twitter.com/RFYqYQQlSL
View photo ·

Cancelled anti-Israel conference moves to Ireland | Jewish News

james toney

"International Law and the State of Israel: Legitimacy, Responsibility and Exceptionalism"

Apparently drawn from the same list of speakers slated to appear at the cancelled Southampton debate. The list there was 45 anti-Israel and two supportive. Alan Johnston - the professor attacked by Loughnan in NUIG - is one of the pro speakers.

Nina Rosenwald
@ninarosenwald
24h
This upcoming conference in #Ireland on #Israel won't be neutral. It'll be a hate-fest. gatestoneinstitute.org/9701/ireland-c… pic.twitter.com/RFYqYQQlSL
View photo ·

Enlightening...

'According to a report in Times Higher Education, organisers of the conference – called..
‘International Law and the State of Israel: Legitimacy, Responsibility and Exceptionalism’ – said other British universities had refused to host it, because they were “afraid of the claws of the Israeli lobby”.

McTell

Twitter
No
Good for UCC. You can't have a conference without hearing both sides.

We supported Israel for decades and they liked us. I think Shamir's code name was "Michael" after Mick Collins. There's a forest near Nazareth named after Dev.

But international law means nothing unless a state wants to be bound by it, and I guess that will be lesson 1 on day 1.

former wesleyan

" UCC professor James Bowen said the event was safe in Cork, adding that “academic freedom [in Ireland] is still fairly well protected, unlike in the UK, where it seems to have come to be regarded as a disposable luxury”. "

Bowen runs COSMOS from the Computer Dept of UCC . As he is a leading proponent of the boycott of Israeli academics, it's interesting to see that academic freedom to him is a moveable feast.

O

Oscurito

Good for UCC. You can't have a conference without hearing both sides.
The ratio of one side to the other is 23 speakers to 1.

Would you be "goodiforng" so much if the ratio was 45 pro-Israel speakers to 2 anti?

As it stands, it looks like a PSC rally with a few degrees after its name.

mangaire2

what's your definition of an "anti-Israel" speaker ?

NMunsterman

The ratio of one side to the other is 23 speakers to 1.

Would you be "goodiforng" so much if the ratio was 45 pro-Israel speakers to 2 anti?

As it stands, it looks like a PSC rally with a few degrees after its name.
The UN Security Council voted to reaffirm that the Israeli settlements in the Occupied Palestinian Territories are illegal under International law.

Do you support International law ?

Yes or No ?

Telstar 62

The UN Security Council voted to reaffirm that the Israeli settlements in the Occupied Palestinian Territories are illegal under International law.

Yes or No ?
Do you intend giving us the same post forever???:lol:

NMunsterman

Do you intend giving us the same post forever???:lol:
Translates as :

" I cannot give an honest answer to that question - so I will try to avoid it "

Don't you have a another silly cartoon you can share with us on the UCC Conference yet ? :lol:

O

Oscurito

Yes or No ?
I don't support unilaterally constructed Israeli settlements in the West Bank and I've said that before.

Now, that I've answered your question, will you answer mine?

1. Do you agree that it's hypocritical for someone (i.e.. James Bowen) to spoof about "academic freedom" when he actively seeks to prevent some academics from having same?

2. Is open and free debate really served by a carefully cherry-picked list of speakers in which the ratio of one side to the other is 23 speakers to 1?

NMunsterman

I don't support Israeli settlements in the West Bank and I've said that before.

Now, that I've answered your question, will you answer mine?

1. Do you agree that it's hypocritical for someone (i.e.. James Bowen) to spoof about "academic freedom" when he actively seeks to prevent some academics from having same?

2. Is open and free debate really served by a carefully cherry-picked list of speakers in which the ratio of one side to the other is 23 speakers to 1?
If you don't support the illegal settlements, then why do you not challenge those on this Forum who do support these illegal settlements - "Yanshuf", "L'Chaim", among others. ?

1. Please be specific - what exactly are you referring to ?
2. "carefully cherry-picked" - very subjective language. Can you provide independently-verifiable facts - like I have - to support your argument ?

former wesleyan

O

Oscurito

1. Please be specific - what exactly are you referring to ?
2. "carefully cherry-picked" - very subjective language. Can you provide independently-verifiable facts - like I have - to support your argument ?
Stop wriggling and answer with honest and clear answers - like I did.

1. I,'m referring to the topic of this thread. Do you agree that it's hypocritical for someone (i.e.. James Bowen, referred to in post #4) to spoof about "academic freedom" when he actively seeks to prevent some academics from having same?

2. Is open and free debate really served by when the list of speakers in which the ratio of one side to the other is 23 speakers to 1?

NMunsterman

Stop wriggling and answer with honest and clear answers - like I did.

1. I,'m referring to the topic of this thread. Do you agree that it's hypocritical for someone (i.e.. James Bowen, referred to in post #4) to spoof about "academic freedom" when he actively seeks to prevent some academics from having same?

2. Is open and free debate really served by when the list of speakers in which the ratio of one side to the other is 23 speakers to 1?
1. Be specific - specify what actions are you referring to and how is this hypocrisy you refer to being displayed ?
2. Please provide a list of the speakers and who they are as I do not know.

By the way, how come you do not challenge Yanshuf and L Chaim on the illegal settlements ?

O

Oscurito

1. Be specific - specify what actions are you referring to and how is this hypocrisy you refer to being displayed ?
2. Please provide a list of the speakers and who they are as I do not know.
Forget it. Your slimy, hypocritical evasive wriggling is utterly pathetic. The moral gyrations of the self-styled Pal-sol types is usually annoying but you......I'm actually embarrassed for you.

Because you've humiliated yourself in front of everyone with no intervention from anyone else.

Orbit v2

Yes or No ?
For all the years that the security council declined to affirm that the Israeli settlements in the Occupied Palestinian Territories are illegal under International law, were you accepting of that situation? If not, it's a bit rich to start getting high and mighty about "international law" now.

NMunsterman

Forget it. Your slimy, hypocritical evasive wriggling is utterly pathetic. The moral gyrations of the self-styled Pal-sol types is usually annoying but you......I'm actually embarrassed for you.

Because you've humiliated yourself in front of everyone with no intervention from anyone else.
Getting abusive only serves to undermine yourself.

Write directly to James Bowen about his Conference and put forward your questions directly to him.
He must have an e-mail address at UCC so he can easily be contacted.

A good debate should have an equal amount of speakers - no issue with that whatsoever.

GDPR

Nina Rosenwald
@ninarosenwald
24h
View photo ·

Well now wouldnt you be complaining if a University had decided not to give a platform to some alt-right air head from the US? Free speech and all that?

What is your problem here? Southampton was wrong or they were right, or the Irish ought to just listen up and follow suit?

former wesleyan

Well now wouldnt you be complaining if a University had decided not to give a platform to some alt-right air head from the US? Free speech and all that?

What is your problem here? Southampton was wrong or they were right, or the Irish ought to just listen up and follow suit?
I'm not interested in the alt-right. I'm dubious about the UCC meeting because it's basically a group of people speaking to themselves. There's no " robust exchange of views " which was the objection to the Southampton gig. Obviously they see Ireland as a dumping ground for their opinions. And when it comes to " no platforming " it's the anti-Israel crowd which causes the most disruption as far as I can tell. As is their right of course.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies