• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

UCC President - caught trying to influence World University Rankings !

jacko

caught out

The rankings people are not impressed!

Last edited:

Half Nelson

It demonstrates that the rankings can be easily influenced and are therefore highly suspect.

Yep, I read this a few days back - it's a main problem with the QS rankings - they can be effectively subverted by this sort of practice (or by not reviewing the competitors favourably). Although I don't really buy the whole league table thing anyway - it's all very 'free market'.

I'm also surprised by how far down the rankings all the Irish universities are.

Spanner Island

Excellent stuff...

So not only are our universities plummeting down the world rankings due to the misguided and continuing failure that is 'free' third level education (which has left our third level education system underfunded)... but now we have the President of UCC trying to 'fix' the world rankings...

Irish third level institutions are increasingly resented for trying to recruit foreign students because it is increasingly known that standards are dropping here... and that certain education institutions (in particular the 'IT's') are particularly poor when compared internationally...

Sad really... but there you go...

As long as the 'free' third level education bullsh!t continues I guess we can only expect the decline to continue... or else loads more taxes piled on us all in order to fund it...

As for the tosser in Cork... I'd sack him.

Analyzer

His only crime is that he got found out.

I am not surprised. Been hearing stories that leave me unimpressed.

4horsemen

Yep, I read this a few days back - it's a main problem with the QS rankings - they can be effectively subverted by this sort of practice (or by not reviewing the competitors favourably). Although I don't really buy the whole league table thing anyway - it's all very 'free market'.

I'm also surprised by how far down the rankings all the Irish universities are.
Why? Are there any universities from a comparable sized country ahead of our top ranked university?

Papillon

IIFC the Shanghai Ranking isn't influenced by peer opinions and is probably the most influential of the main uni rankings.

Also happens to be the one which Irish universities have the worst performance, probably the reason why it isn't brought up when discussing Irish rankings.

4horsemen

A few, but I was more surprised that my one, King's, was so far ahead of Trinity, for example, and that my old one of UCC was so far down the list.
Well with King's income 3 times that of Trinty maybe the difference should be greater?

seabhcan

jacko

Instead of telling his academics to send an email to three colleagues to boost the ucc ranking - why didn't he ask his academics if they needed more research support to increase the rankings?

im axeled

well is not one of their liberians earning in the region of €124,000 a year, which is more than a few european prime minesters, surely this has to count for something, in the over egoed scheme of things.

former wesleyan

well is not one of their liberians earning in the region of €124,000 a year, which is more than a few european prime minesters, surely this has to count for something, in the over egoed scheme of things.
Is this the new ' Director of Library Services " who's been recruited from the Ulster University , or the Librarian John Fitzgerald whose mum is a wheel in FF in Cork?

Shpake

Surprised a word for electronic internet rigging the vote, cooking the books, loading the dice and so on and so forth hasn't come into use. I mean Kreuzberg always votes for Turkey during the Euro. Loads of posters on the pie and boards like to imprint their slant on a discussion. Is anyone surprised at some place wanting to up their rankings? Shame that it was an Irish Uni that was caught out... not good at all.
Even years back different pressure groups used to have their plants in the late late show so as to sway public opinion their way.
Shpake
(who is in the graveyard with a notebook and pen taking notes for the next election)

Popular Threads

Most Replies