• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

UCD threaten to expel 3 students who threw eggs at Enda Kenny.

RobertW

What a shower of muppets they have running UCD.

Three UCD students could be expelled over. . . Throwing eggs at Enda Kenny over protests over education cuts.

Egg-throwing UCD students face expulsion for targeting Taoiseach | Irish Examiner

Sadly they missed and hit the Vice-President of UCD, Martin Butler, instead.

Is this a case of official Ireland sending a message out to the plebs?

Kenny should phone the "leadership" of UCD and tell them to cop on if they're serious about destroying a young persons future just because they had the nerve to protest.

IbrahaimMohamad

Don't throw eggs at Prime Ministers!

In fact don't throw eggs or assault people. The Assault conviction does not do much for the C.V.!

Our Taoiseach should be running the Country not dodging eggs and missiles, or wasting time changing his clothes. Neither should we have to spend more money protecting him from yobs!

Kenny should not interfere with the course of Justice. He should report a crime if he has been the victim of one!

Last edited:

USER1234

Don't throw eggs at Prime Ministers!

In fact don't throw eggs or assault people. The Assault conviction does not do much for the C.V.!
Exactly (no pun intended) being expelled should be the least of there worries!!!

Last edited:

Dame_Enda

This is what happens when you let the govt own the universities. Shades of RTE and the Cowen apology over the nude painting. :roll:

stopdoingstuff

Silly behaviour obviously but expulsion would have been disproportionate. If it were me I would have frightened the life out of them by forbidding their professors from telling them the exam topics the week before the exam- they just wouldn't know how to deal with it.

RobertW

The 1968 Paris riots obviously passed the above muppets (User, smallprint, ibrahim) by. :roll:

Analyzer

UCD are embarrassing themselves in this debacle. They should let the issue pass.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
When you think of the student protests in the past, the Sorbonne in 68, Kent State, Ole Miss and the admission of James Meredith, it seems a bit petty to threaten expulsion for eggs. It was offside, maybe tell them not to attend lectures for a week or two. Such institutions should be careful, I accept they cannot promote what is an assault, but they should not crush the spirit of question and challenge that students kinda should show every now and again, part of me thinks they don't do it enough.

RobertW

Silly behaviour obviously but expulsion would have been disproportionate. If it were me I would have frightened the life out of them by forbidding their professors from telling them the exam topics the week before the exam- they just wouldn't know how to deal with it.
Look up last years exam. ;)

Astral Peaks

Nothing new here, I remember people being suspended in UCD in the '80's for throwing flour bombs at Haughey.

Joe Duffy got himself suspended from TCD for something similiar, even before his famous "occupation" of the JCR.

There were serious incidences of similiar "missile throwing" when Patrick Cosgrove (Thatcher's speechwriter) visited the L&H during that time, if I recall.....

NewGoldDream

Website
-
Nothing new here, I remember people being suspended in UCD in the '80's for throwing flour bombs at Haughey.

Joe Duffy got himself suspended from TCD for something similiar, even before his famous "occupation" of the JCR.

There were serious incidences of similiar "missile throwing" when Patrick Cosgrove (Thatcher's speechwriter) visited the L&H during that time, if I recall.....
Suspension seems proportionate.

Expulsion seems like an overreaction.

carruthers

Three UCD students could be expelled over. . . Throwing eggs at Enda Kenny over protests over education cuts.

Egg-throwing UCD students face expulsion for targeting Taoiseach | Irish Examiner

Kenny should phone the "leadership" of UCD and tell them to cop on if they're serious about destroying a young persons future just because they had the nerve to protest.
If people started throwing eggs Public Sector workers over claims of ineptitude or high levels of pay you'd be calling for a return of Mme Le Guillotine.

Protest peacefully by all means but do not resort to assault or vandalism.

Astral Peaks

Eggs today, what tomorrow.

By all means protest, march, chant, wave placards, obstruct roadways or entrances, but throwing stuff is not on.

controller

It's only bloody eggs. No matter what form of protest is used, the usual Muppet s will come on here and give out about it. No wonder the Irish are the whipping boys of Europe.

RobertW

If people started throwing eggs Public Sector workers over claims of ineptitude or high levels of pay you'd be calling for a return of Mme Le Guillotine.

Protest peacefully by all means but do not resort to assault or vandalism.
They should be throwing eggs at private sector workers in protest at obscene bonus pay levels with additional BIKs

Analyzer

So by that your say you have no problem with people being assaulted because thats what it was!!!
assaulted with an egg ?

get a life and grow up.

This country is rife with corruption, crookery, violent crime....and you want to punish a few kids throwing eggs.