• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

UDA & UVF bands to march through Rasharkin

qwertyu

40 Loyalist bands have applied to march through Rasharkin, a 90% nationalist village in North Antrim on Friday week. Many of those who have applied are connected to both the UDA and UVF - e.g. Dunaghy Flute Band and Freeman Memorial Band from Coleraine.

The Parades Commission let this unholy terror go ahead last year and you had Catholic residents being told to stay in their homes or they would be burnt out as well as tricolours being burnt in the Main Street.

Last year DUP Councillor Mervyn Storey said that he could never condemn the burning of tricolours and said that the UVF flags referred to the UVF of 1916, Funny that the Freeman Memorial band are named after modern day UVF man Geoffrey Freeman who blew himself up in Coleraine in the 1970s and the band even participated in the DUP's parade in Rathfriland last September! Blinkers anyone?

One final note, the population of Rasharkin village is less than 1,000. The parade organisers have applied to bring 1,200 loyalists on top of the 40 bands into the village. Is there anywhere else in the north where this is happening on such a mass scale?

Bogwarrior

How can PSF object to Rasharkin, when they stopped Nationalist protestors in Dunloy, and let Orangemen march there?

qwertyu

Were u at the public meeting in Dunloy? The packed hall there decided what approach to take to the 12th July in Dunloy this year,not Sinn Féin.

The Parades Commission determination would have prevented what happened in Dunloy this year except that the LOL have found a loophole and have exploited it. Something tells me that standing outside a hall playing a tune will not be enough for Dunloy LOL though and if they want to have any chance of marching through Dunloy, which they still are not allowed to do, they must talk to the residents there on the basis of mutual respect.

Bogwarrior

qwertyu said:
Were u at the public meeting in Dunloy? The packed hall there decided what approach to take to the 12th July in Dunloy this year,not Sinn Féin.

The Parades Commission determination would have prevented what happened in Dunloy this year except that the LOL have found a loophole and have exploited it. Something tells me that standing outside a hall playing a tune will not be enough for Dunloy LOL though and if they want to have any chance of marching through Dunloy, which they still are not allowed to do, they must talk to the residents there on the basis of mutual respect.
I'm referring to last year.
Or if you want another example, Nationalist protestors in Derry City (and other areas in Belfast) were physically pushed down the street by PSF who years earlier used the same people to oppose the parade. In fact anyone wearing a celtic top, was stopped from entering the town centre by PSF stewards!!!
I spoke to peole who sat down on the Derry Walls, when the riot squad approached, they were ready to defend themselves when Mc G stood up and said no-one was to resist. The whole sham was to play the victim for the cameras. My friend got a nasty bang to the head with a baton for his troubles, he didn't return to any more PSF organised protests.
Fact is there's no clarity regarding these Orange marches. Are all triumphalist and sectarian, or only a few. Why is it cool to object in Rasharkin but not the Bogside or Ardoyne(nothing to do with the Bogside Residents Group getting grants from the Brits I'm sure)

qwertyu

What would your strategy have been in Dunloy last year then? The Orangemen didn't march last year either, they stod on the road and played a tune.

Bogwarrior said:
qwertyu said:

Or if you want another example, Nationalist protestors in Derry City (and other areas in Belfast) were physically pushed down the street by PSF who years earlier used the same people to oppose the parade. In fact anyone wearing a celtic top, was stopped from entering the town centre by PSF stewards!!!
I spoke to peole who sat down on the Derry Walls, when the riot squad approached, they were ready to defend themselves when Mc G stood up and said no-one was to resist. The whole sham was to play the victim for the cameras. My friend got a nasty bang to the head with a baton for his troubles, he didn't return to any more PSF organised protests.
Fact is there's no clarity regarding these Orange marches. Are all triumphalist and sectarian, or only a few. Why is it cool to object in Rasharkin but not the Bogside or Ardoyne(nothing to do with the Bogside Residents Group getting grants from the Brits I'm sure)

merle haggard

qwertyu said:
What would your strategy have been in Dunloy last year then? The Orangemen didn't march last year either, they stod on the road and played a tune.

as its the case that their original reaction to be barred from traipsing through Dunloy was to blockade Harryville chapel in Ballymena they shouldnt be allowed back near the place at all

bogmessiah

You'd think that some of the anti gfa republicans would have the knowhow and motivation to disrupt this hatecrime sufficiantly that the volk would forever remember to avoid areas where they aren't wanted. Sooner or later they will need to hear the voice of reason; provided it speaks loudly enough.

campbeca

Bogwarrior said:
In fact anyone wearing a celtic top, was stopped from entering the town centre
I find your ideas intriguing and wish to subscribe to your newsletter

stevey2005

qwertyu said:

Bogwarrior said:
qwertyu said:

Stood and played a tune, after being denied their right given to them by the Parades Commission by an illegal protest!

bluenose

Well there is a village I came across in Ulster which is predominantly loalist but but Republican bands apply to parade and the locals let them get on with it. i can remember a few years back the Anicent Order of Hibernians applied to hold their August Parade through a Protestant village. Neither the Orange nor the people objected but let them get on with their tradition. Never to my knowledge has the Orange etc objected to a single Hibs parade.We here so much from Adams and co about parity of esteem and when you se what happens with Orange parades it's no small wonder the majority population don't want shunted into the south. This so-called "parity of esteem" is a figleaf. Adams was qalso caught on a tape saying that those who thought objections to certain parads was innocent could think again.

In Cork (Republic's second city) there was an international festival and procession and the organisers asked the Orange to take part in a spirit of wide inclusion. However the organiser got a threatening phone call and the Orange withdrew rather than cause any problems so it gives an idea of what is still going on. The saem happened when the dublin Lodge was to walk down Dawson Street there to dedicate a plaque to the early meeting place there at the end of the 18th century. The Lord Mayor, government, etc all to be present until the republican gangsters threatened the Master that there wold be violence. The dignateries withdrew and the Master canclled the event so it seems the cavedwellers are still very active.

Alliance

I could agree with this that if the residents are againist it, then it shouldn't go ahead. The same should be applied to both sides though. Republican parades should be not allowed in Loyalist areas and British cities like London. Sean Kelly leading and speaking in a city he sent bombs to kill is outrageous. Both these things should be kept to areas where they enjoy support.

qwertyu

Reports from Friday night say that there was an array of paramilitary flags on display, one of the bands had a leading UVF man from the Ballymoney area leading it and a flagger from a UDA band from Coleraine was staring out residents and then pointing to his eye as if to say that the resident had been identified. Its well worth remembering people in Rasharkin tend to work in Ballymena, Ballymoney and Coleraine so its not easy for them to oppose the parade without being identified and threatened.

Bands such as the Freeman Memorial from Coleraine are named after dead UVF members from the 1970s so the inferrence from the DUP that they are somehow referring to the UVF of 1916 is a load of nonsense and is a good example of the DUP's overall attitude to loyalist groups in North Antrim.

[/img]

stevey2005

qwertyu said:
Reports from Friday night say that there was an array of paramilitary flags on display, one of the bands had a leading UVF man from the Ballymoney area leading it and a flagger from a UDA band from Coleraine was staring out residents and then pointing to his eye as if to say that the resident had been identified. Its well worth remembering people in Rasharkin tend to work in Ballymena, Ballymoney and Coleraine so its not easy for them to oppose the parade without being identified and threatened.

Bands such as the Freeman Memorial from Coleraine are named after dead UVF members from the 1970s so the inferrence from the DUP that they are somehow referring to the UVF of 1916 is a load of nonsense and is a good example of the DUP's overall attitude to loyalist groups in North Antrim.

These flags you quote are legal and allowed to parade by the PSNI and Parades Commission.

These displayed below are illegal:

ireland2004

Hmmm... UDA/UVF flags = legal, Irish tri-colour/sunburst/starry plough/province flags = illegal... :?:

stevey2005

ireland2004 said:
Hmmm... UDA/UVF flags = legal, Irish tri-colour/sunburst/starry plough/province flags = illegal... :?:
I never said that mate, i was showing you what was illegal, its plain and simple. :lol:

stevey2005 said:
ireland2004 said:
I never said that mate, i was showing you what was illegal, its plain and simple. :lol:
the so called UVF flags which you see bands carrying are battle honours, you seem to forget that the U.V.F who fought @ the somme a lot of them guys where catholics who joined up to go fight, it was a real army, none of todays flags are modern day U.V.F associated, and as for UDA flags, they are not allowed to be carried at parades, so you have a hard job fidning them..

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies