• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Uganda - Missing Aid Funds

Ribeye

"taking money from poor people in rich countries, and giving it to rich people in poor countries"

Seanie Lemass

Your woman on RTE News from one of the aid agencies was not very convincing! Seemed to brush off the fact that people at the top of the Ugandan government were ripping off millions. They are the ones responsible for people living in misery for more reasons than just that.

Disillusioned democrat

Your woman on RTE News from one of the aid agencies was not very convincing! Seemed to brush off the fact that people at the top of the Ugandan government were ripping off millions. They are the ones responsible for people living in misery for more reasons than just that.
Lot in common with our government really....surprised Gimmemore was that upset.

Ribeye

Shaddup, an jus gimme the monies!

The System Works

Website
www.thesystemworks.wordpress.com
Twitter
@mendingtheworld
Uganda aid stopped as €4m goes missing - The Irish Times - Fri, Oct 26, 2012

Government to use ICT in corruption fight

Should we be surprised at this, or is it just the tip of the iceberg?

This is a serious own goal for Uganda and proves the likelihood of aid moneys being misappropriated when paid directly to governments in that continent.
No, you shouldn't be surprised and yes, this is just the tip of the iceberg.

The tragedy of Irish compassion...

Ribeye

The idea that we are borrowing money from Germany and giving it to Uganda is self evidently completely nuts,

Gilmore should investigate himself, all 300 folds!

Seanie Lemass

The idea that we are borrowing money from Germany and giving it to Uganda is self evidently completely nuts,

Gilmore should investigate himself, all 300 folds!

We are soft touches for everyone from African scammers to Goldmann Sachs. No wonder the Germans laugh at us.

Ribeye

We are soft touches for everyone from African scammers to Goldmann Sachs. No wonder the Germans laugh at us.
"De monies, jus gimme de monies"

Hallllloooo saaaaarr, I am calling from yur baaaankkk saarrrr:)

The System Works

Website
www.thesystemworks.wordpress.com
Twitter
@mendingtheworld
Often, its people in the aid industry themselves who make the biggest con artists. This quote is from Emily Williams, an American project manager with a medical NGO in the Palestinian Territories:

“Palestine is the best-kept secret in the aid industry… People need field experience and Palestine sounds cool and dangerous because it can be described as a war zone, but in reality it’s quite safe and has all the comforts that internationals want. Quality of life here is so much higher than somewhere like Afghanistan, but we don’t tell anyone so that we are not replaced or reassigned.”

So, there's 3.96 billion US Dollars in aid money (2009-2010 figure) going to that part of the world so some radical chic, otherwise unemployable graduates can look cool and land nice jobs.

Bobsuruncle

Will we ever cop on? The panic in that Ugandan woman's demeanour was clear to see as she began to fear the vista of all the lovely free lolly drying up. Things are getting so bad in Ireland that we might soon be begging some of the African countries we've payrolled over the last decades for a rebate. We can't continue to bankroll countries whose leaders spend most of theiir GDP on military hardware, while their own people starve. Why should they look after their own people when they know that the Irish 7th. Cavalry will ride to their aid. I think it's US who have been ridden for decades and now we see how corrupt officials have trosered 4 million of hard-earned I rish tax payers money. These people are laughing their asses off at the naive and gullible Irish. Oh and I believe Happy Gilmore is delighted that the Ugandan Auditor General is now taking a personal interest in finding out where the missing millions have gone. Guess he's worried about the OTHER 13 million we promised. Let's get real...Irish people are struggling to exist at home, while our 'generous' politicians ensure their own prestige flourishes at the cost of thousands of sick and aged Irish citizens have their Home Care withdrawn, our school children are under educated and our prison are overflowing. Not to mention the fact that people struggle to feed their families and keep a roof over their heads. Pathetic.

Sync

The problem aid agencies have is that they're fully aware this will happen and factor it in to their considerations. It's just not something they like talking about all that much. If you take in €1 million for charity, they know that X% is going to get skimmed in corruption, graft and protection money. It's a fact of life.

Seanie Lemass

The problem aid agencies have is that they're fully aware this will happen and factor it in to their considerations. It's just not something they like talking about all that much. If you take in €1 million for charity, they know that X% is going to get skimmed in corruption, graft and protection money. It's a fact of life.

Well if you give say a fiver to a Concern chugger you are probably talking about one Euro ending up with the unfortunates on the ads.

realistic1

"taking money from poor people in rich countries, and giving it to rich people in poor countries"
Yeah the above about sums up this debacle. I wonder if the people of Ireland had a vote on using tax payers money for foreign aid, what would be the outcome?

Bren Boru

Yeah the above about sums up this debacle. I wonder if the people of Ireland had a vote on using tax payers money for foreign aid, what would be the outcome?
I would think we would still vote for it. We are historically a generous country.
I don't believe there is anyone starving to death in Ireland. And for all those who give out about our health system, try one of those shacks that pass for hospitals in the Ugandan countryside.

The direction in which the aid is going - that is a different questions. Going straight to Governments rather than NGO's? Needs review.

realistic1

Well if you give say a fiver to a Concern chugger you are probably talking about one Euro ending up with the unfortunates on the ads.
I reckon the misfortunes would be lucky to get 10% of that fiver. It takes a lot of collecting to pay for the 100k+ salaries for the director/executives of these 'charities'

realistic1

I would think we would still vote for it. We are historically a generous country.
I don't believe there is anyone starving to death in Ireland. And for all those who give out about our health system, try one of those shacks that pass for hospitals in the Ugandan countryside.

The direction in which the aid is going - that is a different questions. Going straight to Governments rather than NGO's? Needs review.
We need more transparency and auditing of the use of our cash. Can we even trust these NGOs?

Ribeye

Straight from the Ribeye school of racism.
I'm not going to get angry at that ugly slur,

Any of the posters on here know that not only am I not a racist, but because of my libertarian beliefs it is impossible for me to be a racist!

But go ahead, call me a racist if you wish, because I made fun of the accent of the scum that take food aid money and spend in on Soviet AK 47's, tanks & jets, which they use to kill their own people,

Oh, and don't forget the way they use the money to bride anyone who raises an eyebrow,

But I think you'll find that most people will pay more regard to the hundreds of posts I have made defending the people of Africa & the Middle East against the horrers brought to them by white western imperialist scum!

Ribeye, what a racist!

darkhorse

We need more transparency and auditing of the use of our cash. Can we even trust these NGOs?
Has there been no Irish auditing of the €17m annually they give to the Ugandan Government?
Does Gilmore simple give away our money to these dodgy governments without any checking at all...
Why did we have to wait for a Ugandan audit to uncover this?