• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Ugly events in Co Galway

44percent

I am disturbed by the events in Abbey involving the Taoiseach. As reported it seems that an offer was made to meet protesters from the turf cutters. This was refused. A public road was blocked and the right of an elected Taoiseach to attend an event was attempted to be denied. The turf cutters chose the route of physically attempting to stop the Taoiseach. The shouting of abuse is de rigeur but the attempts to physically jostle the Taoiseach take this in a new direction. It is farcical in one sense that turf cutters think their issue entitles them to set aside the rule of law. It is dangerous when they think they can act with this sort of impunity. I also wonder about the political leanings to that mob.

Seanie Lemass

Perhaps FG ought not to have promised to have sorted it all out in the interests of the turf people :)

slippy wicket

You would wonder about their mentality, that they refused an offer of a meeting says it all about them. There is no need to act like savages to try and make their point.

stakerwallace

You would wonder about their mentality, that they refused an offer of a meeting says it all about them. There is no need to act like savages to try and make their point.
Are they acting, I wonder?

Plebian

I'd say the majority of them voted FF/FG all their lives as is the norm in rural Ireland.

Eoin Coir

Disgraceful scenes, given th EU directive. It impacts on only a small number of turf cutters who are well rewarded and given alternatives.

I suspect that it is political and probably organised by the FF wing of the Turf Cutters/ Septic Tank Western Brigade.

duthealla

I am disturbed by the events in Abbey involving the Taoiseach. As reported it seems that an offer was made to meet protesters from the turf cutters. This was refused. A public road was blocked and the right of an elected Taoiseach to attend an event was attempted to be denied. The turf cutters chose the route of physically attempting to stop the Taoiseach. The shouting of abuse is de rigeur but the attempts to physically jostle the Taoiseach take this in a new direction. It is farcical in one sense that turf cutters think their issue entitles them to set aside the rule of law. It is dangerous when they think they can act with this sort of impunity. I also wonder about the political leanings to that mob.
I dont think I support the idea of jostling the Taoiseach for reasons of turf cutting rights. On the other hand considering rural Ireland is undergoing a steady rate of decline with facilities, amenities and opportunities all being reduced then there are damn good reasons to protest. I aint sure turf is the one i'd pick but there may be more to this than just peat rights. Course turf cutting is worth money to the one doing it.

regarding the political leanings of the mob whoever they were they werent a classy lot :| - not appreciating a Time and European man of the year.

slippy wicket

duthealla

I'd say the majority of them voted FF/FG all their lives as is the norm in rural Ireland.
well naturally enough. Thats like saying most Americans voted Republican/Democrats. naturally they do/did because there aint an alternative. In rural Ireland its only recently that SF have arrived as an alternative across all of rural Ireland (rather than in areas).

daveL

I don't care

Plebian

well naturally enough. Thats like saying most Americans voted Republican/Democrats. naturally they do/did because there aint an alternative. In rural Ireland its only recently that SF have arrived as an alternative across all of rural Ireland (rather than in areas).
Yeah but the OP was implying there was a political element involved.

IfOnly

About time, the posters who are tut tutting here sound like bunch of wallies, if someones livelihood is taken away they most certainly have the right to protest and protest hard at that... its about time people stopped getting worried about protocol and got down and dirty to get things done... I seem to remember the same type people criticizing the pensioners when they stopped a govt minister from speaking at a rally in Dublin.."ah the poor minister couldn't even get his views across" well sometimes when enough gunc spouted out then its time for action....:lol:

borntorum

Disgraceful scenes, given th EU directive. It impacts on only a small number of turf cutters who are well rewarded and given alternatives.

I suspect that it is political and probably organised by the FF wing of the Turf Cutters/ Septic Tank Western Brigade.
And Sinn Fein and the Sindo. Lucinda Creighton probably had a hand in it too.

Eoin Coir

I'd say O Cuiv the messiah of rural Ireland will condemn it. I suppose he is in Clare today honouring Dev.

Northsideman

The problem for Kenny is that in his rush to be elected he promised everything to all and sundry, Roscommon Hospital etc. is it any wonder then that the good folk of the west are pissed off with him? What are you expecting? The red carpet? Get yourself copped on!

Eoin Coir

The amount of bogs protected is very limited, which a lot of people seem to forget.And those affected are well compensated and given other areas. But never let facts get in the way !

44percent

The problem for Kenny is that in his rush to be elected he promised everything to all and sundry, Roscommon Hospital etc. is it any wonder then that the good folk of the west are pissed off with him? What are you expecting? The red carpet? Get yourself copped on!
I was expecting that people who have a protest do it within the law. I am expecting that people who don't will be dealt with in the follow up. You should have a cop on chat with turf cutters seem to think they have the right to act anyway they see fit.

ergo2

Certainly there is a right of protest, but no politician, much less An Taoiseach, should be physically blocked from doing his functions