• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

UK Defence Review

likesfish

Ireland off the coast of the UK it faces no realistic conventional military threats

sparky42

UK defence spending over the last five years has been stable at around £36 billion in real terms. By 2019/20defence spending is planned to be £37.6 billion. The UK has achieved the NATO 2% target in each of the last eight years.

Ireland’s defence spending is lowest in Europe at 0.3% of GDP

FG are a disgrace.
We should be spending more.
Show me any party or even any majority of the public for increasing spending. The reality is any major spending increase would hit straight against "but what about the local school/housing list/hospital lists etc".

cozzy121

I doubt they will cancel but will they reduce the number ordered?

The Ministry of Defence says it is reviewing the status of its F-35 stealth jets after an F-35 owned by Japan crashed in the Pacific....Britain's RAF and Royal Navy currently have 17 F-35B jets in total, but the Ministry of Defence has pledged to buy 138.

rainmaker

Administrator

cozzy121

I do not see why a single crash would cancel the order. It cannot be reduced because the number of aircraft ordered are the number deemed needed and there is no other fighter that can replace those numbers.
I would be cautious about use of the word "cannot" - as we are seeing with the 737max - a plane that requires software to stay flying might not be as much as "sure thing" as originally envisaged.

likesfish

military jets crash not quite as badly as they used think 1/3rd of the total production run of the Sea Vixen crashed

rainmaker

Administrator
I would be cautious about use of the word "cannot" - as we are seeing with the 737max - a plane that requires software to stay flying might not be as much as "sure thing" as originally envisaged.
There is no other like for like jet fighter. The odd crash is no reason to bin a fighter.

Fighters crash every now and then for lots of reasons. I remember a U.S.A.F. one crashing in East Anglia a few years back - there was no talk of grounding the fleet.

cozzy121

There is no other like for like jet fighter. The odd crash is no reason to bin a fighter.

Fighters crash every now and then for lots of reasons. I remember a U.S.A.F. one crashing in East Anglia a few years back - there was no talk of grounding the fleet.
Correct, but I'd say a lot of german pilots wished the starfighter was grounded

cozzy121

ah the widowmaker, basically a missile with short wings
Ironically it was the commitment to buy another suspect yank plane (F-111) that plane that effectively killed off Britain's fighter industry

Aeronautical engineer Sir Sydney Camm (designer of the Hawker Hurricane) said of the TSR-2: "All modern aircraft have four dimensions: span, length, height and politics. TSR-2 simply got the first three right."[94]