UK Defence Review

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Going back to the UK Defence Review there is a weird little area there and in the US Pentagon budgeting that always interested me. There is an element of appropriations for the operation of intelligence agencies, and obviously you don't want to publish the budget there line by line as some of the enemy would be accountants too.

I think the way around that is to that they have oversight committees who would be briefed much more than the Treasury would be, but I wonder what payments and interesting transfers have happened out of accounts related to the Min of Defence budget, Foreign and Commonwealth and domestic intelligence agencies reporting to Cabinet level.

There must be acres of room in there for a few Aston Martins, I suppose.

Newrybhoy

There is no "gross umemployment" in the UK at present, far from it in fact. The rest of your utterances are just more of the same tedious, rambling, unrelated irrelevant shyte I referred to a while back IIRC.
I wouldn't pass much remarks on the utterances of someone who talks in detail about the World Cup performance of a player that retired 3 years ago.

rainmaker

Administrator
Never have white elephant's looked soo good..

They are not white elephants.

The idea that they supposedly would not last long in a war with Russia or China does not make them 'white elephants'.

To be honest the technological standards of the Russian navy I doubt they would be able to find one of them, let alone neutralize it.

Eire1976

The idea that they supposedly would not last long in a war with Russia or China does not make them 'white elephants'.

To be honest the technological standards of the Russian navy I doubt they would be able to find one of them, let alone neutralize it.
Can they operate in warm water?

cozzy121

I'm not stating that they are white elephants because of that. I'm stating that they are white elephants because the RN as a whole has diminished in size and resources and, in my opinion, does not have the sufficient resources to support/sustain 2 aircraft carrier fleets.

How many other vessels could have been built/manned for the price of one or both of these carriers.

rainmaker

Administrator
I'm not stating that they are white elephants because of that. I'm stating that they are white elephants because the RN as a whole has diminished in size and resources and, in my opinion, does not have the sufficient resources to support/sustain 2 aircraft carrier fleets.

How many other vessels could have been built/manned for the price of one or both of these carriers.
OK, you have to look at the operational over the next fifty years, and RN numbers will no doubt reflect future manning requirements.

Also, it will be rare to have both on ops at the same time. The reason for two is so there will always been one at sea and operationally ready at any one time.

The commitment to carrier strike groups reflects a wider strategic role change for the RN. Until now it had been the anti submarine component of NATO. This move to a new long term role takes a lot of time.

The future will likely see more expeditionary operations in other regional theaters. Negotiating combat involved airbases with foreign states can be arduous and time consuming - one of these negates all that, thereby speeding up responses to potential.

cozzy121

I was watching Series 2 of the documentary about the queen elizabeth carrier "Britain's biggest warship" and what struck me was how much they relied on the US Navy in the sense there was no RN assets for refuelling at resupplying at sea.
Also the chef or quartermaster had to feed the crew on £3or £4 per shipmate per day. and The Captain's Valet was a Rastafarian !

Jim Car

Also the chef or quartermaster had to feed the crew on £3or £4 per shipmate per day.
Not an unusual price pretty in keeping with whats standard even that the cooks are all paid seperatly and the crew are probably paying a small monthly sum in addition to that.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies