UK : England : Scotland : Wales

McSlaggart

I like the UK.

OK Ireland and the neighboring Island have history and they still cling on to my County Tyrone. So its not a balanced and respectful relationship but still their is lots to like in the old girl. With her current painful divorce from Europe I was wondering what was people positive things that we can say about the old girl?

To start with I like the BBC, and its lovely city's and countryside.

Deadlock

I like the UK.

OK Ireland and the neighboring Island have history and they still cling on to my County Tyrone. So its not a balanced and respectful relationship but still their is lots to like in the old girl. With her current painful divorce from Europe I was wondering what was people positive things that we can say about the old girl?

Great thread - thanks.

Her eccentricity, and her very genuine and very engaging people.

... and the BBC, and Channel 4.

Mushroom

Reading that sentence, I assume that you listen mainly to one of the Beeb's foreign language services; possibly the one in Urdu?

raetsel

Reading that sentence, I assume that you listen mainly to one of the Beeb's foreign language services; possibly the one in Urdu?
Reading that post, I cannot but assume that you are yet again making a bid to win the politics.ie "Obnoxious Moron" award.

blinding

Great the way their people stood up to their establishment and the EU and said we want to run our own country .

Its highly unlikely that there will be other referendums ....ie. until they get the right answer for the EU .

Great Backbone . They have to be admired .

ruserious

They have an admirable habit of fooking things up for themselves and never losing that "keep calm carry on" spirit in the process.

McSlaggart

Her eccentricity, and her very genuine and very engaging people.
They also tend to see the Irish (southern) as some sort of "British" ie not foreign. Ironically "Northern Irish" would have been a bit scary.....

McSlaggart

The NHS is probably Britain's greatest achievement.
I think the NHS is a bit of a disaster which has also impacted on the Irish medical system. This mixing of public and private is working out very expensive and needs changing.

Telstar 62

Their singers, musicians, actors, directors, comedians, past
military men, political leaders, sportsmen, inventors etc etc

Fawlty Towers, period films and tv dramas, natural history
programmes etc etc

The royal pageantry, pomp and circumstance...

A magnificent, spectacular history - no matter their faults and foibles.

The good humour and stoicism of their people in times of
crisis.

Just a start - one can only scratch the surface at British
greatness...:cool:

blinding

Their singers, musicians, actors, directors, comedians, past
military men, political leaders, sportsmen, inventors etc etc

Fawlty Towers, period films and tv dramas, natural history
programmes etc etc

A magnificent, spectacular history - no matter their faults and foibles.

The good humour and stoicism of their people in times of
crisis.

Just a start - one can only scratch the surface at British
greatness...:cool:
In Fairness they are a lot Better since they gave up on the Empire thing........

GDPR

Her very many magnificent hymns, my husband and in-laws, the concern and kindness to animals that very many English people have, Brexit, Enoch Powell, Wordsworth, Coleridge, Marlowe who hasn't to be the funniest play wright ever (I really adore the way he seamlessly combines such wit with such depths of profoundity), St Edward the Confessor, St Richeldis, the whole Arthurian mythos, cucumber sandwiches and the list goes on and on.

GDPR

:
I love the whole Pomp and Circumstance to, in fact I actually adore it. Even though I regard the Windsors are morally corrupted criminal usurpers I had rather have them I think than Britain to be a Republic. Actually this is one thing that annoys me about the Republic of Ireland- it's distinct lack of Pomp and Circumstance.

PBP voter

Dont make fun of the BBC.

People died in 1916 so we could all have access to it.

GDPR

They also tend to see the Irish (southern) as some sort of "British" ie not foreign. Ironically "Northern Irish" would have been a bit scary.....
Actually Churchill who stayed a significant amount of time growing up in Ireland and while he loved the South he disliked and in particular loathed Orange men.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies