UK family found guilty of enslaving homeless and disabled people

murkeyside

Eleven members of a Lincolnshire family have been convicted of a series of modern slavery offences after forcing at least 18 victims – including homeless people and some with learning disabilities – to work for little or no pay and live in squalid conditions for up to 26 years.

The members of the Rooney family, who were based on Traveller sites in Lincoln, targeted vulnerable people,

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/aug/11/uk-family-found-guilty-of-enslaving-homeless-and-disabled-people

Eleven traveller family members convicted following slavery trials - BBC News

Deadlock

Eleven members of a Lincolnshire family have been convicted of a series of modern slavery offences after forcing at least 18 victims – including homeless people and some with learning disabilities – to work for little or no pay and live in squalid conditions for up to 26 years.

The members of the Rooney family, who were based on Traveller sites in Lincoln, targeted vulnerable people,

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/aug/11/uk-family-found-guilty-of-enslaving-homeless-and-disabled-people

Eleven traveller family members convicted following slavery trials - BBC News
A terrible vindication of a recent report on modern slavery practices in contemporary Europe.

This index reveals that both the U.K. and Germany have seen negative shifts in their scores, taking them just over the ‘low risk’ threshold into the ‘medium risk’ category. While Verisk Maplecroft stresses the shifts in scoring are slight, new data has "revealed gaps in the U.K.’s labor inspectorate, while Germany has experienced an uptick in recorded trafficking and servitude violations" it says.
These cited statistics are for the UK, but firmly places Ireland in the same bracket of states where modern slavery risks have risen.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dinamedland/2017/08/09/modern-slavery-risks-to-supply-chains-rise-across-europe-as-migrants-exploited/#1272a84f3e52

Windowshopper

Fair play to the police. I hope those found guilty get heavy sentences.

I was recently commenting on a story in the press about some lads trying to rent prefabs in Dublin as accommodation, and I think the same bears true in this case : we are taught about 1913 Dublin the slums and working condition what should also be taught is that "entrepreneurs" like that exist in every generation and will do the same giving a chance. Constant vigilance is needed to ensure the rights previous generations have won.

Last edited:

Prester Jim

I love how the defendants "lived in luxury" but by the photo provided still didn't take the plastic cover off their couch.

mr_anderson

As my friend usually says in these cases, they should be given a thousand papercuts, then dipped in a vat of lemon juice.
Then hanged.

Last edited:

users

can you imagine pavee points reaction if the people been enslaved were members of our , whats the right word cu, kna , "cultural minority"
he'd say that Pavee point condemn in the strongest possible terms all slavery whether its perpetrators are members of the settled community or members of travelling community. And then he'd point out how travellers are marginalised and discriminated yadayada

Filibuster

You can be sure in the UK they're an "Irish" family no matter how born in England they may have been.

Finbar10

We mustn't forget the "slave factory" incident in Nobber not so long ago (cyp thread here: http://www.politics.ie/forum/current-affairs/250409-slave-factory-uncovered-meath-expect-moditariat-cover-up.html and Indo article here: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/distressed-man-leads-to-discovery-of-23-slaves-in-meath-1.2762326)

29 foreign nationals with little English corralled into a remote rural Meath house. Seemed to be transported to/from there en masse to a waste recycling company each day accompanied by "handlers", employment arranged via an Irish recruitment agency. The wages of over 20 people each week were paid into a single bank account it seems (was surprising the recruitment agency didn't think this situation peculiar when setting up all the bank mandates in the first place). Eventually one of the group, a middle-aged man with little English, made a run for a nearby garage (about a kilometre away) and raised the alarm with a crudely written sign with the words "help” and “garda”, eventually leading to a Garda raid of the place (30 Gardaí, helicopter etc.) about two hours later. Overall quite a strange situation. Amazing no one noticed this peculiar arrangement earlier.

A view from England

You can be sure in the UK they're an "Irish" family no matter how born in England they may have been.
Irish beat us to it.
'Modern slave' forced to dig own grave on Irish traveller site and told 'that's where you're going' in contract threat

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/britain/modern-slave-forced-to-dig-own-grave-on-irish-traveller-site-and-told-thats-where-youre-going-in-contract-threat-36023522.html

Scitlipo

Yes the elephant in the room. Travellers. For such a small community, pretty rampant vile anti social behaviour.

irish_bob

*+
they are irish travellers , " irish traveller " is a recognised ethnic group in the uk , the description is factually correct even they were all born across the water +-+

irish_bob

travellers do not have any sort of morality comparable to the rest of us , they are an uncivilised and barbaric people

paddycomeback

The news said some of their fortune was spent on cosmetic surgery. I would hate to see the "before" photos.

nationalsday

travellers do not have any sort of morality comparable to the rest of us , they are an uncivilised and barbaric people
This is the sixth active thread attacking the Travelling Community on this website and the third of three active threads today.
You are always posing on these threads, for a few years now, as one of the chief sh#tstirrers and hate mongers

PeaceGoalie

Sinn Fein fully support travellers and their culture. Anyone attacking these slave owners faces expulsion

mangaire2

This is the sixth active thread attacking the Travelling Community on this website and the third of three active threads today.
You are always posing on these threads, for a few years now, as one of the chief sh#tstirrers and hate mongers
& if i'm not mistaken,
this is the 2nd instance of ........ ahem .......... 'Travellers' being involved in the heinous crime of slavery in England ?

when I heard of this first, the first thought that struck me was .............. 'Travellers' ?,
as is the case whenever I hear of old people being attacked/killed in their homes, here in Ireland.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies