• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

UK 'Garlic' importer jailed for 6 years

Xiogenes

HMRC publishes Flickr gallery of 2012's 'top tax criminals' | Business | The Guardian

How many bleeding hearts will he get over in the UK ? The Joe Duffy show could open a sympathisers hotline for him over here.. fraud is fraud and jailed he has been, for fraud. ( Unless it's only yer man doin' is best shure..)

Name Murugasan Natarajan

Scheme Claimed to be importing ginger but was in fact importing garlic.

Tax at stake £2m in customs duty

Jail term 6 years

ruserious

That vampire lobby is really exporting itself well!

gombeennation

HMRC publishes Flickr gallery of 2012's 'top tax criminals' | Business | The Guardian

How many bleeding hearts will he get over in the UK ? The Joe Duffy show could open a sympathisers hotline for him over here.. fraud is fraud and jailed he has been, for fraud. ( Unless it's only yer man doin' is best shure..)

Name Murugasan Natarajan

Jail term 6 years
he will get no bleedhearts over there.
but then again , when was the last MP to admit dodging tax like wallace and get away without a jail term.

mahrud

What exactly is wrong with declaring ginger rather than garlic ?

Please don't anyone say because "it's against the law".

There's laws and there's laws -and there's plain stupidity. In which category is sending someone to prison because he declared ginger rather than garlic ?

It was against the law here to bring contraceptives or the Playboy magazine -or even works of fiction by leading authors, such were censorship laws in ireland.
People were locked up in Ireland - and UK- for committing acts of gross indecency .i.e. homosexual acts.

Someone breaking a stupid law shouldn't go to prison for such a length of time.

Tin Foil Hat

+1 mahrud.

Can someone explain to me what governments around this neck of the woods have got against garlic?

Carl Claudius

these people threaten to destroy the european market yet have so many supporters in this country. if someone were to import cheap booze I doubt the publicans would take it so lightly.

asknoquestions

There's laws and there's laws -and there's plain stupidity. In which category is sending someone to prison because he declared ginger rather than garlic ?

It was against the law here to bring contraceptives or the Playboy magazine -or even works of fiction by leading authors, such were censorship laws in ireland.
People were locked up in Ireland - and UK- for committing acts of gross indecency .i.e. homosexual acts.

well, if you want a justification for the law, the duties are usually put in place to protect domestic or European producers. If the Chinese were allowed to flood the market with cheap garlic, no-one would produce it in Europe any more and then they could put the price up to whatever people would pay.

gijoe

+1 mahrud.

Can someone explain to me what governments around this neck of the woods have got against garlic?
Import duty is something like 250% - applies across the EU. French got it so high to protect their garlic industry.

mahrud

Well then .Can anyone quickly answer which EU country grows enough garlic to export to other EU countries. No EU state is even within the top 10 garlic growers in the world.
There is no massive garlic industry in Europe.

Tariffs on garlic are 232% cf 8% for onions. Crazy.
Sweden also has a high duty and has a special team to combat garlic smuggling from Norway that does not impose such tariffs. Not many people know that.

OK just seen post re French garlic . That answers question.

bonkers

I declared my car as a lawn mower. I hate paying motor tax, stupid law. Is that ok?

Carl Claudius

I think Mr Garlic in Dublin had such support from Joe Duffy et al because those he was screwing by trying to destroy their livelihood were Spannish and French- Johnny foreigner.

Limerick Lad

Excise Duties, VAT, Taxes, etc. are what pay for public services, so when someone defrauds the Revenue they are in effect defrauding every other taxpayer in the country.

Carl Claudius

Excise Duties, VAT, Taxes, etc. are what pay for public services, so when someone defrauds the Revenue they are in effect defrauding every other taxpayer in the country.
it seems to be socially acceptable to defraud the state and even politicians are guilty of this, low standards in high places. its even more acceptable to defraud the EU. why should a small business man pay tax on garlic when politicans like Mick Wallace do not and Beverly Coopper FLynn encourage others not to?

mahrud

Smarty pants comments like comparing motor cars to lawn motors does not detract from the insanity of levying a duty of 232% on a product that is extremely benefical to the user.

By imposing such onerous tariffs it encourages domestic growers to over-charge -why sell garlic cheaply when the EU slaps a 232% tax? But then agricultural efficiency has never been encouraged by EU.

Bluntly: high tariffs on food imports - wrong. High tariffs on a vitally healthy product like garlic -double wrong.

I doubt that charging rip-off food duties to protect inefficient French farmers is more benefical to society than any monies derived from such tariffs. That applies to all taxes on foods.

And ,as a side note, in Ireland putting someone in prison(begley) for a similar period that one gives rapists is beyond any comprehension.

True Republican

The only thing he did wrong was get caught, 6 years is a crazy sentence.

The Herren

Name Murugasan Natarajan

Jail term 6 years

Hang him, I say.

Carl Claudius

Smarty pants comments like comparing motor cars to lawn motors does not detract from the insanity of levying a duty of 232% on a product that is extremely benefical to the user.

By imposing such onerous tariffs it encourages domestic growers to over-charge -why sell garlic cheaply when the EU slaps a 232% tax? But then agricultural efficiency has never been encouraged by EU.

Bluntly: high tariffs on food imports - wrong. High tariffs on a vitally healthy product like garlic -double wrong.

I doubt that charging rip-off food duties to protect inefficient French farmers is more benefical to society than any monies derived from such tariffs. That applies to all taxes on foods.

And ,as a side note, in Ireland putting someone in prison(begley) for a similar period that one gives rapists is beyond any comprehension.

you could also argue that the minimum wage is nonsense. get rid of it and bring in thousands of Chinese to work for next to nothing. Ireland was forced to imprison yer man. EU standards.

Hewson

+1 mahrud.

Ask Lenihan.

Eeerrr . . . when you see him.