UK goes to maximum benefits for a family

BBC News - George Osborne: Cap brought in on benefit claims

In what is being ignored because the emphasis is on Child Benefit cuts to top earners the UK is to introduce a MAXIMUM amount a family may obtain from benefits.

This is about time and hopefully Ireland follows suit quickly.

No doubt there will be claims that its targeting the "POOR" but someone having a Net £26k or €€ equivalent is NOT poor.

gijoe

Wow, now that is innovative. The feckless family with 8 kids will not know what to do with themselves when this is applied.

richie268

In what is being ignored because the emphasis is on Child Benefit cuts to top earners the UK is to introduce a MAXIMUM amount a family may obtain from benefits.

No doubt there will be claims that its targeting the "POOR" but someone having a Net £26k or €€ equivalent is NOT poor.
They need every penny they can get and this is the double whammy!
(Reuters) - Finance minister George Osborne on Monday dismissed a thinktank report that "British banks may need another state bailout next year and their borrowing requirements could hit 25 billion pounds ($39.5 billion) a month".
The Brits are catching up.
And yes lets blame everything on the Bastards Mother!

UK finance minister dismisses fresh bank bailout scenario | Reuters
Is Ossie doing a Lenny???

richie268

George Failed to mention the white creature in the room,, a big fecking thing with huge teeth and big ears and I forget myself what one calls them but I know that Nelly was one and in a circus and I have the same memory as them creatures and am renowned for my memory.Please send binoculars or any other suggestions to number 11 otherwise please post here.

F.U.B.A.R

Just read more into this,

The Maximum benefits scheme will only come into force by 2025 and the child allowance means test comes in by 2013.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
Too high a limit, but the important thing is to establish it. It can be reduced in the following years (or held as is if inflation kicks in).

This (and the earlier announcement on child benefit) shows a government really getting stuck into a spending cris. It makes our shower of idiots look even more inept.

Cassandra Syndrome

Taking taxes of real wealth creators and giving it to bankers rather than people who might actually need funds and consume it back into the real economy is the cornerstone of every healthy, ethical and pragmatic economic system.

We need a new Circular Flow of Income model.

BringBackNavanMan

I have always been perplexed by the amount of tax payer's money doled out by this scheme. In particular, I feel that children's allowance is paid, in vast amounts, to people who don't need it. We all know families who use the money to pay for holidays, car loans and other luxuries. At the other end of the economic demograph, we also know that childrens allowance day is perhaps the most lucrative day of the month for pubs and clubs, as payments intended for the welfare of our children are misappropriated by parents with misguided priorities. I believe that this demand on the public finances should be minimised, to be payed only to families where there is a genuine need, and then in a manner where it benefits the end user, OUR CHILDREN.

seabhcan

Yea, when you add on

Family Tax Credits,
Council Tax benefit,
Housing Benefits,
etc.
You don't get tax credits if your not working (and tax credits are not benefits)

And how do you define a family?

If I'm married with 6 kids and my benefit is capped - am I better off getting divorced and dividing the kids between myself and my wife (on paper at least)?

richie268

Too high a limit, but the important thing is to establish it. It can be reduced in the following years (or held as is if inflation kicks in).

This (and the earlier announcement on child benefit) shows a government really getting stuck into a spending cris. It makes our shower of idiots look even more inept.
Spending Crisis of Bank bail out Crisis?
UK finance minister dismisses fresh bank bailout scenario | Reuters
Although I agree on most points I still think for the most part it is like the Mandaloo spin that we have become so used to.
""DONT MENTION THE BANKS""

Kevin Doyle

Taking taxes of real wealth creators and giving it to bankers rather than people who might actually need funds and consume it back into the real economy is the cornerstone of every healthy, ethical and pragmatic economic system.

We need a new Circular Flow of Income model.
Jeepers, I agree with you :shock:

petervalhala

Excellent idea, hopefully Ireland will do similar in the budget

You don't get tax credits if your not working (and tax credits are not benefits)

And how do you define a family?

If I'm married with 6 kids and my benefit is capped - am I better off getting divorced and dividing the kids between myself and my wife (on paper at least)?

you do get family tax credits, its just that its now called Child Tax Credits.

Child Tax Credit is available to people responsible for a child or young person, who have income below a certain amount. The amount you get will depend on how many children you have, and whether they have any disabilities. Child Tax Credit is available whether or not you are in work and is paid to the main carer in a household, usually straight into a nominated bank account.

If you are looking for work, you may be entitled to contribution-based Jobseeker’s Allowance or income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance. If you have children, you may be entitled to Child Tax Credit.

If you are sick or disabled, you may be able to get Employment and Support Allowance (ESA). If you are a lone parent or a carer, you may be entitled to Income Support. You may receive help with rent and council tax by applying for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit.

If you own your own home or are buying your own home and you receive Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, income-related ESA or Pension Credit, you can be entitled to help with your housing costs, although this may not be immediately available.

Some benefits are contribution-based. This means that the amount and type of benefit you receive depends on how many, and what type of, national insurance contributions you paid when you were working. Other benefits are means-tested. This means that an assessment will be made of what income, savings or capital you have.

I have just lost my job. What benefits am I entitled to?

A couple with 2 children can earn €18,682 per year or €358.30 per week in Welfare payments in the UK.

In Euros this equals to €21,615 per year or €414.00.

This includes

Child Benefit
Housing Benefit
Council tax benefit
Child tax credits
Job Seekers

Bare in mind however that the UK is also a far cheaper place to live than Ireland.

Here is a benefits calculator for you all to play with!

Benefits Search

charley

Why do people add child benefit to SW payments but leave it out when they talk about people on €80k a year?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies