• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

UK government tentatively start to admit failure of multiculturism

fuque

Well well, the obvious has become to obvious to try hide from anymore. Among admissions of segregation and language difficulties, Miliband accepts they got it wrong on immigration. Of course he goes on to say how proud he is of the multi-enthic make up of British society. Of course he doesnt want to offend, so goes on to say rubbish like...."We are stronger for it - and I love Britain for it. It gives us access to new ideas, new perspectives, new energies,". But thats just a glib statement which means nothing.......as if he could of said some concrete possitives on large scale immigration.............he surely would have used them?
He has lots of negatives to draw on of course, but decides to go easy on himself by barely scratching the surface by admitting.....""But at the same time we know there is anxiety about immigration and what it means for our culture. The answer is not to sweep it under the carpet.In part, that means rejecting the idea that people can "live side by side in their own communities, respecting each other but living separate lives, protected from hatreds but never building a common bond - never learning to appreciate one another", he explains.

BBC News - Miliband: Too little done to integrate UK society

mhagain

I'm not quite sure how you managed to read "failure of multiculturalism" into that. Care to elaborate? I ask because it quite explicitly reads as "integration is needed too" to me, which is something I would have thought a 5 year old could tell you.

sgtharper

Well well, the obvious has become to obvious to try hide from anymore. Among admissions of segregation and language difficulties, Miliband accepts they got it wrong on immigration. Of course he goes on to say how proud he is of the multi-enthic make up of British society. Of course he doesnt want to offend, so goes on to say rubbish like...."We are stronger for it - and I love Britain for it. It gives us access to new ideas, new perspectives, new energies,". But thats just a glib statement which means nothing.......as if he could of said some concrete possitives on large scale immigration.............he surely would have used them?He has lots of negatives to draw on of course, but decides to go easy on himself by barely scratching the surface by admitting.....""But at the same time we know there is anxiety about immigration and what it means for our culture. The answer is not to sweep it under the carpet.In part, that means rejecting the idea that people can "live side by side in their own communities, respecting each other but living separate lives, protected from hatreds but never building a common bond - never learning to appreciate one another", he explains. BBC News - Miliband: Too little done to integrate UK society
At the risk of pointing out the bleeding obvious, you do know that David Milliband and his party are NOT the Government of the UK? Having said that I agree with you as regards his comments, this is Operation Stable Door for Labour, a pathetic attempt at a damage limitation exercise, and he and his party a hypocrites of the highest order on this subject. As if we needed even more proof that they are utterly unfit for government, as usual.

Jack White

I'm not quite sure how you managed to read "failure of multiculturalism" into that. Care to elaborate? I ask because it quite explicitly reads as "integration is needed too" to me, which is something I would have thought a 5 year old could tell you.
Do you see multiculturalism and integration as compatible ? Many do not. Some see them as diametrically opposed, with a ludicrous inversion of common sense.

Whose duty is it to integrate, after all ?

Mercurial

One day, someone on p.ie will make an OP about multiculturalism who actually understands the meaning of the term.

On the other hand, I'm pleased to learn that Labour are back in power.

Sync

So.....you don't know who the primeminister of the UK is. That's pretty dismal. Why is it that the people who tend to start these "I don't like immigration threads" are either illiterate or very very dim?

Jack White

One day, someone on p.ie will make an OP about multiculturalism who actually understands the meaning of the term.

On the other hand, I'm pleased to learn that Labour are back in power.
Well, get on with it then.

No, wait. Don't bother. I just read your second sentence.

Potatoeman

Do you see multiculturalism and integration as compatible ? Many do not. Some see them as diametrically opposed, with a ludicrous inversion of common sense.

Whose duty is it to integrate, after all ?
A simple solution is only to allow highly educated people or people with needed skills enter the country. They are more likely to integrate, more likely to get a job and this will ease tensions. Having areas of England where people don’t speak English is bound to cause tensions. This means the person needs to want to integrate and speaking English is the first step.

Mercurial

A simple solution is only to allow highly educated people or people with needed skills enter the country. They are more likely to integrate, more likely to get a job and this will ease tensions. Having areas of England where people don’t speak English is bound to cause tensions. This means the person needs t want to integrate and speaking English is the first step.
Multiculturalism does not apply exclusively to immigrant communities.

Potatoeman

Multiculturalism does not apply exclusively to immigrant communities.
The areas that have become isolated and alien from the national English population are clearly the ones where English is not the main language and to ignore the social implications of this in naïve.

Mercurial

The areas that have become isolated and alien from the national English population are clearly the ones where English is not the main language and to ignore the social implications of this in naïve.
To suggest that multiculturalism applies exclusively to areas where English is not the main language is simply false.

Dr Pat

A simple solution is only to allow highly educated people or people with needed skills enter the country. They are more likely to integrate, more likely to get a job and this will ease tensions. Having areas of England where people don’t speak English is bound to cause tensions. This means the person needs to want to integrate and speaking English is the first step.
Another measure might be to not permit long stay immigrants use 'family reunion' as a means of importing their parents, siblings and extended families.

Potatoeman

To suggest that multiculturalism applies exclusively to areas where English is not the main language is simply false.
I didn't claim that. You can keep your cultural beliefs and integrate into the society you are joining but if you don't speak the language you are not going to integrate and place a barrier between you and the indigenous population.

Mercurial

I didn't claim that. You can keep your cultural beliefs and integrate into the society you are joining but if you don't speak the language you are not going to integrate and place a barrier between you and the indigenous population.
None of that is necessarily incompatible with multiculturalism.

pragmaticapproach

Another measure might be to not permit long stay immigrants use 'family reunion' as a means of importing their parents, siblings and extended families.
A sponsorship requirement for all immigrants for the first 3 years would act as a filter. There should be a private sponsorship industry that assumes full responsibility for the immigrant, including healthcare and the costs of imprisonment and deportation if they commit a crime.

The risk factors would effect the premium the perspective immigrant would have to pay, keeping out undesirables.

happytuesdays

The Irish government should fund pro immigration organisations in England.
England delenda est.

pragmaticapproach

hence the reason why there should be no state funding for translation services.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies