UK high street stores in Ireland after Brexit ..

robut

A thought came to mind this evening.

When Brexit happens proper what happens to all the British high street stores and businesses that also occupy our high streets and shopping malls. Debenhams, Tesco, Next, PC World, Currys and so on and so on.

I think these stores use economies of scale when purchasing to stock stores here?. These shops are stocked and supplied by the larger bulk purchase from the UK? How will excise etc work here price wise post brexit? Surely we will see big price increases in these stores here? Most of the stock in these stores here come via or from the UK?? Alot is made / manufactured in the UK?

So - maybe I am being silly or not understanding this. Over to you guys on this ..

Last edited:

storybud1

The truth is nobody and I mean nobody knows ,, this is where Ireland has to step up and tell Europe we are unique as we are the British Isles and not the mainland ? ohhh, the irony of that one ,,

Negotiations will take years and will change with the flux of, Trump, Merkel getting the boot, France and The Netherlands / Denmark etc getting more nationalistic ,

Given recent bets, take the long odds in the bookies, sure even they haven't a fooking clue because they trusted the media,,

Gin Soaked

Stock comes from outside the UK in nearly all cases. And there will be a "Shop Name Retail Ireland Ltd" in many cases.

Only Tesco is really big here and will source much locally, and I thought Zara was Spanish?

Ironically Lidl and Aldi may be more dependent on supply chains.

robut

Stock comes from outside the UK in nearly all cases. And there will be a "Shop Name Retail Ireland Ltd" in many cases.

Only Tesco is really big here and will source much locally, and I thought Zara was Spanish?

Ironically Lidl and Aldi may be more dependent on supply chains.
It might but it still comes through the UK to here I think? The stores here are supplied via the bulk purchase for the UK .. price breaks by way of that? For the stores profits here anyway?

Gin Soaked

The truth is nobody and I mean nobody knows ,, this is where Ireland has to step up and tell Europe we are unique as we are the British Isles and not the mainland ? ohhh, the irony of that one
"A Province Once Again,
A Province once again,
Ireland Briefly a Nation will be
A Province once again...
The neon flashed above my head
In High Street, Mall and lane....
Its angel voice sang round my bed,
We'll have Sainsburys once again!"

Sorry, I'll get my coat..... Not a dig at your post, but you are highlighting an inconvenient truth...

I'd rather be satisfied with frugal comfort, even after Supervalu vandalised Superquinn in Blackrock...

Gin Soaked

It might but it still comes through the UK to here I think? The stores here are supplied via the bulk purchase for the UK .. price breaks by way of that? For the stores profits here anyway?
We'll have to learn to wire a plug again.....

I don't think it will matter as much as people think. Our shopping baskets will not be the issue.....

Dearghoul

We'll have to go back to domestic enterprise?

Thought we had decided as a country we wern't interested.

forest

With a bit of luck they'll all leave and we can replace boots with Rossmans and PC world with mediamarkt

Last edited:

ON THE ONE ROAD

they are already under a lot of competition from internet shopping. On the st stephens days sales some of them cut prices by 60%. And the compitition is going to increase.

amazon wil be setting up a few depots here during the year and an post are in on the whole virtual address thing.

The irish high street is changing and yes brexit will change it faster. The same process will happen across the world. It is already happening. All those coffee shops used to be something else. Could be a string of boutiques try on clothes and get the texture and then go home and buy online. That process is already happening. If anyone figures out exactly what its going to look like after better to get some cash together and make money of it.

Dearghoul

they are already under a lot of competition from internet shopping. On the st stephens days sales some of them cut prices by 60%. And the compitition is going to increase.

amazon wil be setting up a few depots here during the year and an post are in on the whole virtual address thing.

The irish high street is changing and yes brexit will change it faster. The same process will happen across the world. It is already happening. All those coffee shops used to be something else. Could be a string of boutiques try on clothes and get the texture and then go home and buy online. That process is already happening. If anyone figures out exactly what its going to look like after better to get some cash together and make money of it.
Indeed it is a global matter.

I've seen the term, 'the Experiental High Street' being bandied about on London local blogsites; Arsey I know but it's people trying to envisage the future of their High streets in the absence of retail rather than a long row of shutters and trying to make some sense of it and control it to some extent.

runwiththewind

Maybe they will start paying tax in Ireland instead or better still, leave the country.

Henry94.

Many of them have made shopping an unpleasant experience for customers and staff with their constant attempts to push loyalty cards and various "up-selling" campaigns. Not to mention their rip-off prices with the better value Sterling price often displayed brazenly along side.

They may be missed economically but would any of them be missed emotionally? It's notable that with unprecedented choice in clothing we are still as a nation very badly dressed.

Orbit v2

It's a very good question. There has to be a fair chance they will try to sell up or shut down. Brexit will probably cause major disruption to their supply chains, and price rises caused by customs duties and tariffs. Hard to imagine shopping here without Tesco, Argos etc.

Trainwreck

Hooray!

We are down to celebrating national xenophobic regression in Ireland. We want local shops, for local people.

And Remoaners carp on about "Little Englanders". Yet again the irony monster stomps right through a thread.

gleeful

In the short term they will just increase prices. Disrupting supply chains is the big issue with Brexit. Many multnationals here have big distribution centers in the UK.

Orbit v2

With a bit of luck they'll all leave and we can replace boots with Rossmans and PC world with mediamarkt
That might not be a bad thing. Regardless of whether it is new bricks and mortar stores or internet based, should we be planning for a major expansion of Rosslare port? The hassle of transiting through the UK might not be worth it. This is the kind of strategic question the government should be planning for right now.

A big problem however will be (lack of) economy of scale. If Ireland is a marginal, English language market, stuck off in some remote corner, will big European concerns, be interested even? We have done okay up to now, being a small add on, to an existing huge, English language market.

robut

That might not be a bad thing. Regardless of whether it is new bricks and mortar stores or internet based, should we be planning for a major expansion of Rosslare port? The hassle of transiting through the UK might not be worth it. This is the kind of strategic question the government should be planning for right now.

A big problem however will be (lack of) economy of scale. If Ireland is a marginal, English language market, stuck off in some remote corner, will big European concerns, be interested even? We have done okay up to now, being a small add on, to an existing huge, English language market.
Yip ... thanks Orbit. That also crossed my mind earlier this morning, you got there first :D

The interesting thing in the next few years is we are going to find out how much WE REALLY have been depending on the UK now that it is being taken away? Depending on it for many things & in many ways that we either took for granted or didnt realise?

robut

In 2015 trade between Ireland and UK was €11 BILLION IRL to UK / €15 BILLION UK to IRL .. €1.2 billion of goods and services traded each week apparently. Directly supporting 400,000 jobs on both islands ..

Alot of this UK to Ireland trade no doubt fills quiet a substantial number of shops on our highstreet with product that we buy?

Why Brexit would be bad for trade between Britain and Ireland
Value of Goods Imports and Exports between the UK and the Republic of Ireland 1996-2015 - British Irish Chamber

ON THE ONE ROAD

It's a very good question. There has to be a fair chance they will try to sell up or shut down. Brexit will probably cause major disruption to their supply chains, and price rises caused by customs duties and tariffs. Hard to imagine shopping here without Tesco, Argos etc.
Tesco operates out side the eu already.

Argos would be an interesting one. Any one of an age might remember that prior to argos opening in Dublin there was almost a social obligation when traveling to belfast to bring back a few argos catalogues.

People buy all sorts on the internet from china, some people with languages get good deals on french and german sites. Britain will still be next door and on ithems that are to pricey we would still be a part of a fairly big trading block.

It is a good question over all but some are going to make a lot of money with answers to the question.

Tesco Worldwide | Tescopoly

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies