UK Independence Party to stand in the occupied six counties!

Antrim

I would have titled it differently but thanks for starting this post for me, sevenstars.

I wonder what four constituency’s they will sit in.

I would reckon North Belfast, East Belfast, South Belfast and North Down.

What are Sylvia Hermon’s views on Europe? As they are a Conservative/pro-union party would they try and get her to join them?

SevenStars

I would have titled it differently but thanks for starting this post for me, sevenstars.
Uh...I wasnt posting it for you. Uber-Tories are a side interest of mine.

Which is the thing....UKIP are idealogically pro-market, while Unionist parties (at least the majiorities in them) tend to be more "populist" (like own Fianna Fail).

So is there a market for them in the north-east?

SevenStars

What are Sylvia Hermon’s views on Europe? As they are a Conservative/pro-union party would they try and get her to join them?
Sylvia Hermon though is soft-left isnt she though? I think I remember centauro saying he voted for her...And she split with the UUP over their Alliance with the Tories.

UKIP will have no appeal what so ever to left of centre Unionists...Also seeing as they put themselves forward as non-sectarian they arent going to appeal to the TUV and former UK Unionist crowd...Seems like they are throwing their money away here.

Antrim

Uh...I wasnt posting it for you. Uber-Tories are a side interest of mine.

Which is the thing....UKIP are idealogically pro-market, while Unionist parties (at least the majiorities in them) tend to be more "populist" (like own Fianna Fail).

So is there a market for them in the north-east?
I had put this on another thread and asked someone to start it as a new thread for me.

Sylvia Hermon though is soft-left isnt she though? I think I remember centauro saying he voted for her...And she split with the UUP over their Alliance with the Tories.

UKIP will have no appeal what so ever to left of centre Unionists...Also seeing as they put themselves forward as non-sectarian they arent going to appeal to the TUV and former UK Unionist crowd...Seems like they are throwing their money away here.
I don’t know what I was thinking, of course she is a leftie, duh on my part.

Found this in their manifesto,

3.7 Educational, Art and Music Measures
UK schools would be required to teach about Britain's contribution to the world, such as
British inventions, promoting democracy and the rule or law and the role of Britain in
fighting slavery and Nazism. All cultures, languages and traditions from around the British
Isles such as gaelic, would be celebrated.

I wonder if they will try and use the pro-Irish language card to try and win SDLP voters?

SevenStars

I think if the British Labour Party were to run in the six counties now that they have dropped their whole "United Ireland by consent" waffle and the occupation is so secure they would pick up a lot of working class Alliance and UUP votes, probably even a good few disaffected DUP voters aswell....They might well be able to get an MP out of it.

The interesting thing is that contrary to what a Provie councillor said on here Roman Catholics in England though a minority have always played a huge part in English public life since the mid-19 century. Though the English Right has always had a great deal of love for Ulster Unionism (think Philip Larkin, Maurice Cowling and I mean Enoch Powell was a Unionist MP for a good while) the sticking point between has been sectarianism (the English Right even when its not Roman Catholic has a long standing love affair with the Church of Rome...The Daily Mail which is fanatically anti-Irish freedom just LOVES the Vatitican). I just think this entrance into Ulster will end up the same way as the Official National Front's entrance in the mid-80s did.

Scipio

I can't see this working. Northern Ireland is a parochial place, and Unionists aren't, in general, that interested in wider UK politics - like Nationalists, it's a case of look after your own first.

I also don't think that Jim Allister-style Eurosceptiscism has much support in NI, on either side of the aisle.

SevenStars

I wonder if they will try and use the pro-Irish language card to try and win SDLP voters?
They could well pick up the UBER-Roman Catholic vote...But how many of those types exist in the north?...I mean that would put their UBER-Roman Catholicness over the national question and economic issues?

Antrim

I wonder if this could hasten the decline of the UUP?

There could be UUP members who see the writing is on the wall for their party and rather than lose face by joining the DUP they could join UKIP.

Last edited:

SevenStars

I wonder if this could hasten the decline of the UUP?

There could be UUP members who see the writing is on the wall for their party and rather than loose face by joining the DUP they could join UKIP.
Yes but how would disaffected UUP supporters sit with their uber-Thatcherite policies?

physicist

I wonder what four constituency’s they will sit in.

I would reckon North Belfast, East Belfast, South Belfast and North Down.

If they try to get her to join they will fail. I mean Herman would not approve a pro-capital punishment, ultra rightwing party.

vinoboy

400 votes max in whatever constituency they stand ,Will take whatever votes Tories polled when they went it alone in British Ulster.

McLovin01

Great news! i have been waiting for them to come to Northern Ireland! i am a libertarian at heart and none of the unionist parties really suit me so they will get my vote.

Tequila

As a UKIP member from Great Britain I am (very) cautiously optimistic. I hope UKIP do well in Northern Ireland, though I can't help but think that the electorate there do not take well to 'mainland' parties, preferring to stick to the local, parochial parties. I will be interested to see how this pans out. Northern Ireland needs a different vision outside of the local parties there.

The people involved in this are top-notch though. Good luck to Fred McGlade and Henry Reilly. :)

Northern Ireland needs a libertarian voice of some kind - all the Unionist parties there are far too socially conservative and interventionist about other people's private lives, in which the state has no business. So the growing of a classical liberal voice there is something that should be welcomed. :)

Tequila

If they try to get her to join they will fail. I mean Herman would not approve a pro-capital punishment, ultra rightwing party.
UKIP are not pro-capital punishment; neither are they 'ultra rightwing'. We are a grouping of centre-right Eurosceptics - some of us traditional Tories, true, but there are many (like myself) who subscribe to a more classical liberal/libertarian view.

Garza

I will vote UKIP, if none of the other local parties apply for the vote.

I am done with only N. Ireland parties.

SevenStars

So you are against the EU?

Garza

So you are against the EU?
If this Q is for me. Not really. I do think Europe should be united, but not econically. I do not think a federal Europe will ever happen.

But then Ireland should have not left the UK, esp since it is realised that UK banks paid for the celtic tiger in the first place, but hey ho, whatever. Maybe UKIP should stand here.

vinoboy

Will barely scrape the surface in voting terms within Unionist ranks.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies