• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

UK Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse gets FOURTH Chairwoman in 2 Years

Kilbarry

The following is a summary I got from a number of newspaper articles. This seems to be a fiasco that will continue for MANY years into the future!

7 July 2014: The Home Secretary, Theresa May announces an inquiry into allegations of an institutional cover-up of child sexual abuse, chaired by Lady Butler-Sloss.

9 July 2014: Campaigners call for Butler-Sloss to stand down because her brother was Attorney General in the 1980s, when abuse allegedly occurred. She refuses.

14 July 2014: Butler-Sloss yields to mounting pressure and stands down.

5 September 2014: May unveils Fiona Woolf, lord mayor of London, as the new chair of the inquiry.

21 October 2014: Woolf discloses she lived on the same street as Lord Brittan, who is at centre of cover-up claims, and had invited the Brittans to dinner.

22 October 2014: A “victim of abuse” tries to challenge choice of Woolf via courts.

31 October 2014: Victims’ groups tell officials they are “unanimous” Woolf should quit. She resigns. According to the Guardian, Woolf warned that it could now be difficult to find a suitable replacement willing to take on the role in the face of intense media scrutiny. “It is really going to be hard to find someone with no connections. A hermit?” she said.

4 February 2015: May sets up a new statutory inquiry and appoints Dame Lowell Goddard a New Zealand judge as its chairwoman. [So presumably no Establishment connections in the UK?]

27 November 2015: The inquiry announces its first 12 investigations and Goddard said she aims to complete the inquiry in five years.

4 August 2016: Goddard resigns, citing her career and family life, soon after being criticised for taking three months of holiday since being appointed. Goddard’s short resignation letter led many to speculate that she had in fact been sacked for incompetence. Doubts about her had been raised following a preliminary hearing, during which she appeared to misunderstand the nature of her own powers under the Inquiries Act

11 August 2016: Professor Alexis Jay is appointed as the FOURTH chair of the Inquiry.

I seem to recall there were other resignations also e.g. 2 or 3 members of the panel appointed to help the Chair of the inquiry, declined to put their names forward again when Goddard was appointed in February 2015 - because of bitter infighting between Victims' groups!

Clanrickard

The following is a summary I got from a number of newspaper articles. This seems to be a fiasco that will continue for MANY years into the future!

7 July 2014: The Home Secretary, Theresa May announces an inquiry into allegations of an institutional cover-up of child sexual abuse, chaired by Lady Butler-Sloss.

9 July 2014: Campaigners call for Butler-Sloss to stand down because her brother was Attorney General in the 1980s, when abuse allegedly occurred. She refuses.

14 July 2014: Butler-Sloss yields to mounting pressure and stands down.

5 September 2014: May unveils Fiona Woolf, lord mayor of London, as the new chair of the inquiry.

21 October 2014: Woolf discloses she lived on the same street as Lord Brittan, who is at centre of cover-up claims, and had invited the Brittans to dinner.

22 October 2014: A “victim of abuse” tries to challenge choice of Woolf via courts.

31 October 2014: Victims’ groups tell officials they are “unanimous” Woolf should quit. She resigns. According to the Guardian, Woolf warned that it could now be difficult to find a suitable replacement willing to take on the role in the face of intense media scrutiny. “It is really going to be hard to find someone with no connections. A hermit?” she said.

4 February 2015: May sets up a new statutory inquiry and appoints Dame Lowell Goddard a New Zealand judge as its chairwoman. [So presumably no Establishment connections in the UK?]

27 November 2015: The inquiry announces its first 12 investigations and Goddard said she aims to complete the inquiry in five years.

4 August 2016: Goddard resigns, citing her career and family life, soon after being criticised for taking three months of holiday since being appointed. Goddard’s short resignation letter led many to speculate that she had in fact been sacked for incompetence. Doubts about her had been raised following a preliminary hearing, during which she appeared to misunderstand the nature of her own powers under the Inquiries Act

11 August 2016: Professor Alexis Jay is appointed as the FOURTH chair of the Inquiry.

I seem to recall there were other resignations also e.g. 2 or 3 members of the panel appointed to help the Chair of the inquiry, declined to put their names forward again when Goddard was appointed in February 2015 - because of bitter infighting between Victims' groups!
Why are they all women?

Caothaoir

I know this is a serious issue, but I can't help but be amused by the thought that if this had happened here you'd get the usual "Only in Ireland!" from everybody.

Dame_Enda

Having a title doesn't make you equipped for such a time consuming task. Typical of the Tories to come late to that realisation.

Eire1976

The British establishment doesn't want this inquiry and will do all possible to stall it to give them time to burn all the records.

Kilbarry

Why are they all women?
Probably because women are more "caring and compassionate" and the chief aim of this Inquiry is therapeutic rather than a truth-seeking exercise e.g. cross-examination of witnesses will be either forbidden or severely curtailed in order to spare them trauma.

Incidentally the FOURTH chairwoman was hastily picked from the panel of advisers who are supposed to assist the Chair, so I suppose they are mainly women as well.

Kilbarry

The British establishment doesn't want this inquiry and will do all possible to stall it to give them time to burn all the records.
Funnily enough the original Inquiry was ONLY supposed to go back to 1970 (a mere 46 years) but following protests from alleged victims, the cut off date was abolished and it can now take testimony dating back to 1945. (The third Chairwoman Dame Goddard confirmed this). I have seen comments suggesting that this is a trick to make sure that anybody accused is dead by the time the Inquiry gets around to them. However this is too cynical. It was NOT the critics of the Inquiry who insisted on this change!

Kilbarry

Having a title doesn't make you equipped for such a time consuming task. Typical of the Tories to come late to that realisation.
OTOH the then Home Secretary Theresa May MIGHT - like Baldrick - have hit on a "cunning plan" to sabotage the Inquiry by appointing an incompetent person as Chair. Whatever, I bet she's glad that as Prime Minister now, she no longer has direct responsibility for this runaway train!

Kilbarry

Originally Posted by Clanrickard
Why are they all women?
They cost less.
There was the absolutely genuine case of the Tory M.P. who said many years ago, that he was in favour of equal pay for men and women provided that the men's wages were reduced to those of the women.

They don't make Tory MPs - or men - like that anymore.

Kilbarry

Child abuse inquiry: 13 investigations to be carried out

An ITV report on 5 August summarises the 13 seperate investigations that are to be carried out by the Child Abuse Inquiry
Child abuse inquiry: 13 investigations to be carried out - ITV News

They include:

Westminster
An "overarching inquiry" into allegations of abuse and exploitation involving "people of public prominence associated with Westminster". Claims involving "current or former" MPs, senior civil servants and members of the intelligence and security agencies will be scrutinised.

Roman Catholic Church
The probe will look into institutional failures to protect children from abuse in the Catholic church in England and Wales.

Anglican Church
The Anglican Church will also be investigated to look at the extent of any institutional failures to protect children from abuse.

The internet
The inquiry will look into institutional responses to child sexual abuse and exploitation "facilitated" by the internet.

Residential schools
Abuse and exploitation of children in residential schools, both state and independent, will be investigated.

Nottinghamshire councils

Lambeth council, London

Lord Janner
Allegations of child sex abuse against the late Lord Greville Janner will be investigated.

British institutions and organisations abroad
These include the Armed forces, Foreign Office, the British Council and private companies and charitable institutions abroad.

Custodial Institutions

Child sexual exploitation by organised networks

etc

It is an idiotic programme but designed to appease the "Victims" who will scream "cover-up" if anything is omitted. It cannot possibly be concluded in the 5 year timeframe proposed - nor in 10 years either I suspect. ESPECIALLY as the fanatics have also abolished the proposed boundary date of 1970 and the Inquiry will now take details of allegations dating back to 1945! It is an Inquiry that is set up for failure and this will confirm the "Victims" organisations in their view that it's all part of an Establishment Plot. But it was the alleged Victims themselves who created this monstrosity!

Last edited:

Dub01

At least they set up an enquiry.

FF, FG and the Catholic church have been the holy trinity of child abuse in this country, and i am still waiting for the enquiry.

Kilbarry

The Reason Why

What exactly is the point of all this?
See my last paragraph above. See also the last paragraph of the ITV report as follows:

Accountability and reparations for victims and survivors of abuse
This arm of the inquiry will focus on the support services and legal remedies available to victims and survivors of child sexual abuse.

It was added to the inquiry following reports of inadequate support services and a civil justice system that may not deliver genuine reparation.
[My emphasis]

"A civil justice system that may not offer genuine reparation". So what the Victims/Survivors want is "Compensation" without the need to prove anything in either the Civil or Criminal courts. They will be able to make allegations to the Child Abuse Inquiry without facing cross-examination but this is not enough; they also want money without the necessity of proving that they suffered any harm. And I have no doubt that they will get their "compensation". The Inquiry is already looking very shaky and the more it looks like failing, the more willing the politicians will be to deflect criticism by doling out huge sums of taxpayers money based on allegations alone!

Strawberry

See my last paragraph above. See also the last paragraph of the ITV report as follows:

Accountability and reparations for victims and survivors of abuse
This arm of the inquiry will focus on the support services and legal remedies available to victims and survivors of child sexual abuse.

It was added to the inquiry following reports of inadequate support services and a civil justice system that may not deliver genuine reparation.
[My emphasis]

"A civil justice system that may not offer genuine reparation". So what the Victims/Survivors want is "Compensation" without the need to prove anything in either the Civil or Criminal courts. They will be able to make allegations to the Child Abuse Inquiry without facing cross-examination but this is not enough; they also want money without the necessity of proving that they suffered any harm. And I have no doubt that they will get their "compensation". The Inquiry is already looking very shaky and the more it looks like failing, the more willing the politicians will be to deflect criticism by doling out huge sums of taxpayers money based on allegations alone!
Lovely. So we're back to Salem witch trial territory again, where an accuser's pointing finger is seen as proof of guilt. At least it shows one thing - Ireland isn't the only country prone to this mania, the British are as bad.

An aside - I see part of the enquiry focuses on the Anglican Church. I wonder if they will deal with the accusations against the late Bishop George Bell? If so, that might get interesting because unlike most dead people accused of child abuse, he still has people willing and able to defend him.

Kilbarry

Lovely. So we're back to Salem witch trial territory again, where an accuser's pointing finger is seen as proof of guilt. At least it shows one thing - Ireland isn't the only country prone to this mania, the British are as bad.

An aside - I see part of the enquiry focuses on the Anglican Church. I wonder if they will deal with the accusations against the late Bishop George Bell? If so, that might get interesting because unlike most dead people accused of child abuse, he still has people willing and able to defend him.
I see from the Wikipedia article on Bishop George Bell (who died in 1958)

...In 1995, 37 years after Bell's death, a complaint was made to the then Bishop of Chichester, Eric Kemp, alleging that Bell had abused a child during the 1940s and 1950s.[9] The complaint was not passed on to police until a second complaint was made to the office of Justin Welby, the Archbishop of Canterbury, in 2013, eighteen years after the first complaint had been made and fifty-five years after Bell's death....

The problem is that the Inquiry will probably accept the truth of any allegation unless the person/institution can PROVE that it is false. I think it is almost impossible to PROVE that an allegation dating to the 1940s and 1950s is false. There was a case a few years ago in which the head of the Vincentian Order in Australia was arrested - amid huge publicity - on the basis of allegations that he had abused a child 20 years previously. He was released after he was able to prove that he was not on the Australian sub-continent at that time! But this kind of thing is rare. Moreover it was a mere 20 years AND the accuser was so grotesquely stupid that he hadn't done the most basic homework. You can rarely depend on that kind of good fortune.

Kilbarry

Allegations of child sex abuse against the late Lord Greville Janner

The investigation that is likely to create the greatest difficulty for the Inquiry is that into child abuse allegations against the late Lord Greville Janner who died in December 2015. Janner’s son Daniel is a barrister and a Queen’s Counsel, has denounced the allegations against his father as lies and is taking legal action against the Inquiry. His legal action may be one reason why the THIRD Chairwoman Lady Goddard resigned as she had already demonstrated her lack of knowledge of English law. I’m sure she would have been in no position to stand up to Daniel Janner in the witness box!

In an article in the Sunday Times on 7 August, Dominic Lawson made some points that Daniel Janner is likely to make in court
Months wasted hunting headlines rather than the truth about child abuse | Comment | The Times & The Sunday Times

It has since emerged that Janner’s principal accuser, now middle-aged, in 1991 made false allegations of sexual assault against the woman running the care home he had lived in, Barbara Fitt — at the same time he first told police he had been abused by Janner. Mrs Fitt was exonerated later that year, but died suddenly at the age of 44, months after she had been formally cleared.

In common with others who much later came forward with similar allegations against Janner, this principal accuser is making civil claims for damages against the late peer’s estate. So when their lawyer, Liz Dux of Slater and Gordon, declared that her clients (some of whom have convictions for fraud and obtaining property by deception) “are not motivated by anything other than getting to the truth,” that, itself, is not the whole truth.”

So Lord Janner’s principal accuser made false allegations against someone else, other accusers have convictions for fraud and their lawyer claims that their SOLE motivation is getting to the truth, even though they are making claims for damages against Lord Janner’s estate! Yes I’m sure that Daniel Janner will have plenty of material to work on if and when he gets these people into the witness box.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies