UK loses seat on International Court of Justice

Wascurito

For the first time in 71 years, there'll be no British judge serving on the International Court of Justice (ICJ). The current British judge, Christopher Greenwood lost out in a run-off against the Indian candidate, Dalveer Bhandari.

Like with so many things in the UK these days, the story is beimg viewed through Brexit specs with some diplomats attributing the defeat to the waning of British influence on the international scene following the vote to leave the European Union.

The other judges elected to serve along with Justice Bhandari are listed below and you'd have to say that nos. 2 and 4 come from countries not known for their contribution to international justice:
  1. Ronny Abraham of France,
  2. Abdulqawi Ahmed Yusuf of Somalia,
  3. Antonio Augusto Cancado Trindade of Brazil
  4. Nawaf Salam of Lebanon

Sky News: UK loses seat on International Court of Justice for first time since 1946

willow68

This court is the judicial branch of the UN. A sick joke of an organisation. Thoroughly biased, bought and paid for with oil money.

Spanner Island

This court is the judicial branch of the UN. A sick joke of an organisation. Thoroughly biased, bought and paid for with oil money.
I don't think that's the point...

The Brits have been there since 1946 regardless of what it is... and now they're not.

willow68

The Brits have been there since 1946 regardless of what it is... and now they're not.
Respectfully disagree. The Brits losing their seat on the ICJ just shows the downward corrupt and biased trajectory the UN is on as a whole. Recently, another UN agency, UNESCO has ruled that the Temple Mount in Jerusalem had nothing to do with Judaism.
A laughable move, if it were not so tragic. Saudi Arabia is on a committee about women's rights. They tried to push Mugabe through as WHO goodwill ambassador - International outrage caused them to withdraw that appointment.
I fully expect the ICJ to rule Sharia law to be compliant with Western law systems in the not too distant future....

razorblade

Its a discredited organization why would anyone with common sense want to be a part of it the biggest human rights abuses on this planet sit on its council.

Wascurito

It was a vote of the UN General Assembly which tends to be very anti-Western.

Having said that, I'd have full confidence in the ability of an Indian judge to discharge his/her responsibilities with due fairness and knowledge.

Wascurito

India is a rising and well-respected power. So, this is not just about the UK's decline and declining influence which is being accelerated by Brexit.

Kommunist

Good.

Ardillaun

For the first time in 71 years, there'll be no British judge serving on the International Court of Justice (ICJ). The current British judge, Christopher Greenwood lost out in a run-off against the Indian candidate, Dalveer Bhandari.

Like with so many things in the UK these days, the story is beimg viewed through Brexit specs with some diplomats attributing the defeat to the waning of British influence on the international scene following the vote to leave the European Union.

The other judges elected to serve along with Justice Bhandari are listed below and you'd have to say that nos. 2 and 4 come from countries not known for their contribution to international justice:

Sky News: UK loses seat on International Court of Justice for first time since 1946
Lebanon has produced more than its fair share of scholars and tycoons despite the difficult neighbourhood. This guy sounds well qualified for the job:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nawaf_Salam

Oh dear, there's a Charlie Rose interview in there.

Mitsui2

The notion of the nation that gave the world the Birmingham Six and the Guildford Four (to name but two) having what amounted to a permanent seat on the International Court of Justice always grated a bit with me anyway, to be honest.

D

Deleted member 48908

This is what happens when one teaches the natives how to play cricket.

derryman

Pity Widgery wasn't about. He would be a shoo in .
That would surely have pleased some.

Last edited:

Wascurito

The notion of the nation that gave the world the Birmingham Six and the Guildford Four (to name but two) having what amounted to a permanent seat on the International Court of Justice always grated a bit with me anyway, to be honest.
According to Wiki:
"There is an informal understanding that the seats will be distributed by geographic regions so that there are five seats for Western countries, three for African states (including one judge of francophone civil law, one of Anglophone common law and one Arab), two for Eastern European states, three for Asian states and two for Latin American and Caribbean states.[6] For most of the court's history, the five permanent members of the United Nations Security Council (France, Russia, China, the United Kingdom, and the United States) have always had a judge serving, thereby occupying three of the Western seats, one of the Asian seats and one of the Eastern European seats."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Court_of_Justice#Composition

So, while it's not like the UNSC, they've always been able to wangle a seat on it.

derryman

I doubt that you put much thought into the post but why do you think it would "surely have pleased" me?
I was just thinking about your opinion of " countries not known for their contribution to international justice." I see other posters may have seen the irony also.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies