UK may move to CET time

forest

I started a tread on this a year or more ago when I read that the Conservative party planed to move the UK over to CET time
Now it seems such a motion s going to go through Westminster

I support the idea (I am assuming if the UK does Ireland will follow)
I would also support us doing it without the UK

I think its long over due
Only The UK Ireland Portugal and Iceland are in GMT in Europe
(Iceland doesn't observe the EU time directive and doesn't have daylight saving time)

Scotland is opposed to the idea but its worth nothing Norway which is further north of Scotland is in CET time

I am going to watch this closely and hope it does come to pass

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
It's fine for the UK, but it's certainly not a good idea in this country. We would have children on the west coast going to school in pitch darkness. We may end up with a situation where England and Wales go to CET in the winter, but Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland stay with GMT.

Tigris Celtica

It's not fine for the UK - It wouldn't be daylight in large parts of Scotland before about 9:45am ! That's the main reason it won't happen in the UK.

seabhcan

It's fine for the UK, but it's certainly not a good idea in this country. We would have children on the west coast going to school in pitch darkness. We may end up with a situation where England and Wales go to CET in the winter, but Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland stay with GMT.
How about we allow schools to open later? If its dark at 9am, surely it wouldn't be impossible to open the school at 10am instead? Plenty of businesses are on flexitime anyway - so many parents wouldn't care.

factual

How about we allow schools to open later? If its dark at 9am, surely it wouldn't be impossible to open the school at 10am instead? Plenty of businesses are on flexitime anyway - so many parents wouldn't care.
What is wrong with going to school in the dark?

florin

What is wrong with going to school in the dark?
It's dangerous, many children walk/cycle to school. If Ireland went to CET, the sun wouldn't rise until almost 10 o'clock in parts of the west.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
Because that would push school closing hours right into the middle of the evening commute.

kerdasi amaq

We're not part of Central Europe, so we shouldn't be using their time.

We should go back to our own time.

bprob

SlickWilly

They will have issues concerning traffic conditions in Scotland if they do. I wonder is it possible for us to do it without them?

bprob

that's what he said - it would be almost 10am before the sun has risen. And Donegal and Sligo have it later than Galway.
9.21 is not 10.00
galway was specified in original post

factual

I am sure people would be able to manage just fine.

The key point is that the dark evenings are depressing.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies