UK 'may still have to pay into EU even after Brexit'

ScoobyDoo

A leading light in the Brexit campaign said they now expected the UK could still end up paying as much as £5bn a year into EU funds, in return for access to the single market.

This is roughly half of what the UK would have expected to contribute to the EU - estimated by the Office for Budget Responsibility to average around £9.6bn a year from 2015.

If true that is a great deal for the UK, pay in half of what they were in return for retained access to the single market and get control over immigration. :shock:

Mad as Fish

A leading light in the Brexit campaign said they now expected the UK could still end up paying as much as £5bn a year into EU funds, in return for access to the single market.

This is roughly half of what the UK would have expected to contribute to the EU - estimated by the Office for Budget Responsibility to average around £9.6bn a year from 2015.

If true that is a great deal for the UK, pay in half of what they were in return for retained access to the single market and get control over immigration. :shock:
Would that count as a soft or semi hard Brexit? BB might be able to help us out on this one.

Truth.ie

Every country in the World has "access to the single market" providing you are not under U.N sanctions.
There is no reason for them to pay for access.

Dub01

They won`t have access to the single market without agreeing to free movement of EU workers.

Mad as Fish

Who said anything about gaining control over immigration?

Norway have to buckle under to European rules on immigration as well as shelling out in return for access to the Single Market.
In which case it makes it most unlikely that Britain will be joining the European Economic Union anytime soon.

gleeful

If they are caving in already the deal will be much worse than that. I now expect the UK to pay more than before as they lose their rebate. They will also accept freedom of movement and lose financial passporting.

The EU will be picking over the still warm corpse of the UK economy until 2019 and offer only marmite in return.

Ex celt

So BREXIT has all been an elaborate ruse by the Brits to halve their EU contributionS?
They are the cleverest people on the planet. Five Nobel Prizes so far this year with Charles Moore,Margaret's biographer, hot favourite to win the Nobel Prize for Literature tomorrow.

Polly Ticks

I hope the UK prospers because that would be good for us... am not seeing signs that it will though and a period of uncertainty is not good for us.

One effect it has had on me is that I won't work for UK clients while sterling is so low.. it's just not worth it... used to be great when sterling was doing so well against the dollar. Oh well.. their loss.. I'm sure they'll muddle through without me :D

darkhorse

They won`t have access to the single market without agreeing to free movement of EU workers.
There's a price for everything
If they were to pay double the €350m/week they are paying now bringing it to €700m/week then we might allow them access to the single market without free movement
Assuming no refunds / grant aid etc and if they adhere to EU legislation without any say in how its made

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
They are the cleverest people on the planet. Five Nobel Prizes so far this year with Charles Moore,Margaret's biographer, hot favourite to win the Nobel Prize for Literature tomorrow.
They also make the best telly in the world, but this has been a total disaster and is going to get much worse.

Dub01

So BREXIT has all been an elaborate ruse by the Brits to halve their EU contributionS?
I would imagine they will be paying more than they currently are, so not such a great ruse at all.

Ex celt

UK has had to rescue Europe on countless occasions over the last 200 years from Boney,Kaiser Bill,Adolf and Jacques Delors. The UK stands ready to do the right thing.

Ireniall

There's a price for everything
If they were to pay double the €350m/week they are paying now bringing it to €700m/week then we might allow them access to the single market without free movement
Assuming no refunds / grant aid etc and if they adhere to EU legislation without any say in how its made
mmmmuuuuuuhaaaahaaahaaa-ooooooh yeahhhhhh. That would rightly finish the NHS and all their big hopes for it. FFS I suppose I shouldn't really be laughing at the bloody bunch of eejits.

Truth.ie

Why not?
Are you confusing membership of the free market with access to the free market?
African, Asian and Latin American countries have access to the free market and have not accepted free movement.
Seems a lot on this thread are.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies