• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

UK - Petrol price war

gflood

This is interesting...
Supermarkets reduce fuel prices - Independent.ie

Large interest parties such as Sainsburys are finally realizing that consumers have less to spend in their stores due to the over inflation of petrol prices. I really hope we see similiar situation here. My disposable income is wiped out by petrol as I commute.

Analyzer

Ah yes....there is one large UK multiple...and when you type it's name into a search engine followed by the word "fuel" you get the word "problems" coming up automatically.

At this point Irish defamation law kicks in and I cannot warn fellow consumers anymore.

Ed O'Leary

they already have

Tescos opened a fuel forecourt a few years ago in my neck of the woods - and brought down the prices of all the other operators and they are all now in a cent or two of each other - Tesco also run regular promotions where you can get 5-10 cent a litre off with x amount spent on groceries.

the other side is that they will run it as a loss leader and drive other competitors out of business - there is feck all margin on it for the retailers - its mostly tax and the rest goes to the refiners - same as UK

careful what you wish for - but the bottom line is that fuel is going to stay expensive and in the long run increase in price

b.a. baracus

As Ed said the margins on petrol/diesel for the retailer are piffling. The only way to see real sustainable price drops is either to lower tax or a price collapse in oil which is unlikely. I found with Tesco here that they were good at first, probably selling at a slight loss, but now are only a cent or two cheaper if even that.

If it is left to retailers the only price drops will be by a couple of cent, they don't have the margin to play with. A few cent (less than 5) per litre is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things.

Analyzer

There are problems with one supermarket chain providing fuel, and the engine.

anybody looking for cheap fuel, should do some research with mechanics, to get an opinion of the side effects.

Pat Gill

Website
www.energyco-ops.ie
Twitter
Pat_Gill
As Ed said the margins on petrol/diesel for the retailer are piffling. The only way to see real sustainable price drops is either to lower tax or a price collapse in oil which is unlikely. I found with Tesco here that they were good at first, probably selling at a slight loss, but now are only a cent or two cheaper if even that.

If it is left to retailers the only price drops will be by a couple of cent, they don't have the margin to play with. A few cent (less than 5) per litre is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things.
Refineries are also going out of business because of tiny margins, Europe has lost a quarter of its refineries in the last five years.

Any tax cuts will have to be made up elsewhere and oil is more expensive to produce these days as all of the easy (cheap) to access oil is now burnt.