UK productivity per worker in 2017 is the same as it was ten years ago!

JacquesHughes

UK wage inflation has been flat for ten years. ' I blame the bosses, corporate greed, the Tories, shareholders,.. anybody.'
UK productivity sees further fall - BBC News

'The engine of prosperity for 200 years, increasing productivity per worker, has broken down in the last decade....'.
The journalist explains; you can 'grow' an economy, merely by adding more workers to it, ' be they EU migrants or pensioners choosing not to retire', but without increased earnings per person, they're no better off.

Ireland has been doing the same things as the UK. Politicians love to point to 'increased growth' as their personal accomplishment; but if this is mainly an increase in low-paying jobs, increased numbers of part-time workers in the economy, bringing in less-demanding staff to shore up failing industries ( farmers, sic, recently made a pitch for this); while neglecting to make the technology developments that would increase productivity per worker- we're collectively no better off.

This is something to remember, the next time an industry lobby group whinges to government, 'We can't get the staff'.
"Show us your productivity increases per worker over the past decade?"

silverharp

does it mention migration, the more poorly educated people you bring in the more gdp has to be divided.

paulp

UK wage inflation has been flat for ten years. ' I blame the bosses, corporate greed, the Tories, shareholders,.. anybody.'

'The engine of prosperity for 200 years, increasing productivity per worker, has broken down in the last decade....'.
The journalist explains; you can 'grow' an economy, merely by adding more workers to it, ' be they EU migrants or pensioners choosing not to retire', but without increased earnings per person, they're no better off.

Ireland has been doing the same things as the UK. Politicians love to point to 'increased growth' as their personal accomplishment; but if this is mainly an increase in low-paying jobs, increased numbers of part-time workers in the economy, bringing in less-demanding staff to shore up failing industries ( farmers, sic, recently made a pitch for this); while neglecting to make the technology developments that would increase productivity per worker- we're collectively no better off.

This is something to remember, the next time an industry lobby group whinges to government, 'We can't get the staff'.
It's a valid point. And the consequences are huge. The opening quote in this video sums in well in my opinion.
Paul Krugman, the Nobel Prize [winner] in economics, once wrote: "Productivity is not everything, but in the long run, it is almost everything."
https://www.ted.com/talks/yves_morieux_how_too_many_rules_at_work_keep_you_from_getting_things_done

bokuden

Well done for showing up the FG model for the scam it is.

Deadlock

Strange jubilation. OECD statisitcs show strong upward trends in Irish productivity between 2001 and 2016 across a variety of metrics.

https://data.oecd.org/lprdty/gdp-per-hour-worked.htm#indicator-chart

blokesbloke

I'm not a bit surprised! I am a PS worker and we've not have a decent payrise in a decade.

We're all jolly tired!

Any UK resident Piesters who wish to join the 129,000 of us who have already officially whinged about it are welcome to lend their whining support here...

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/200032

Much obliged!

As for the private sector, time for them to pull their fingers out. Lazy bástards!

Malcolm Redfellow

Website
redfellow.blogspot.com
Twitter
mredfellow
does it mention migration, the more poorly educated people you bring in the more gdp has to be divided.
Another outburst of total ignorance.

Just a third of the UK population has been educated to degree-level. The proportion of immigrants is over half. Got that? Immigrants are better-educated, better-qualified, better-skilled than the "native" population. Fact.

Of all European nations, Ireland ranks second to the UK in attracting degree-level talent, 44% of immigrants.

Productivity, on the other hand, is dented by the availability of cheap and disposable labour. In other words, look at minimum wage and the gig-economy. To improve productivity make labour more expensive, so employers see benefits in improved training and up-skilling. There would, of course, be a knock-on increase in unemployment, unless the whole economy geared up — an unlikely event in Brexit Britain.

mr. jings

I'm on the same money I was a decade ago. Unfortunately none of my utility bills, commuting costs or basic living expenses are.

commonman

I think the problem is they still all go to the pup at lunch time.

Degeneration X

Indeed it does:

"So you can grow it without any improvements in productivity, by simply adding people to the workforce, be they EU migrant workers or pensioners choosing not to retire yet."

The Tories and Blairites really made a mess of Britain.

mac tíre

I'm not a bit surprised! I am a PS worker and we've not have a decent payrise in a decade.

We're all jolly tired!

Any UK resident Piesters who wish to join the 129,000 of us who have already officially whinged about it are welcome to lend their whining support here...

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/200032

Much obliged!

As for the private sector, time for them to pull their fingers out. Lazy bástards!
I can help because, as you know, us in the north are masters at the old whinging. I also meet the criteria for said whinge on the petition and I fully agree with the bould whinge you are whinging about.

Consider it done.

Analyzer

FG and productivity ?

How did gardai productivity progress in recent years ?

Where is Frances ISIS Fitzgerald these days ?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Weird thing productivity per head and technology. Productivity per worker can't keep going up unless you introduce slavery as it isn't an infinite resource. One person can only produce so much and why would we assume that this productivity would just keep increasing ad infinitum?

Also, technology means less people employed actually producing anything. Much of what used to be UK productivity is now engaged in emailing itself about pre-meetings ahead of the actual meeting by which time the proposed meeting has been cancelled by someone.

It would be much more entertaining to measure the lack of productivity in bureaucracy in large organisations.

I remember the Burton Group thirty years ago let 800 people go out of its main offices. It took them years to realise it but many of those people were solely engaged in emailing and arranging meetings with each in order to promote good communications within the organisation. It was a deeply sick office with people arranging two-day meetings towards the latter stages.

The culture was appalling and actually quite soviet in its stodginess and inability to achieve anything except more bureaucracy.

In the end someone sensibly just removed a few layers of middle management. And the two-day meeting culture left with them. My usual response to any sign of that culture rearing its head is to not turn up at meetings for which there is no explanation as to why I am needed.

Also, if anyone suggests even a halfday meeting I usually ask which country we are planning to invade.

silverharp

Another outburst of total ignorance.

Just a third of the UK population has been educated to degree-level. The proportion of immigrants is over half. Got that? Immigrants are better-educated, better-qualified, better-skilled than the "native" population. Fact.

Of all European nations, Ireland ranks second to the UK in attracting degree-level talent, 44% of immigrants.

Productivity, on the other hand, is dented by the availability of cheap and disposable labour. In other words, look at minimum wage and the gig-economy. To improve productivity make labour more expensive, so employers see benefits in improved training and up-skilling. There would, of course, be a knock-on increase in unemployment, unless the whole economy geared up — an unlikely event in Brexit Britain.
but look at the less qualified side, flooding an economy with burger flippers, mushroom pickers and cabbies while it grows the economy it's the commie equivalent of praising the amount of new combine harvesters,diminishing returns, wealth being diluted, future welfare liabilities.

Analyzer

A recent survey indicated that FarceBook is driving down productivity in most work locations with an internet connection and office roles.

Is narcisism a factor driving down productivity.

blinding

The British Elite have a history of telling their workers that they are not very Productive .

Its a very good way of justifying a low wage for working people .

Sure if you told them they were productive they might expect a decent wage .

im axeled

Indeed it does:

"So you can grow it without any improvements in productivity, by simply adding people to the workforce, be they EU migrant workers or pensioners choosing not to retire yet."

The Tories and Blairites really made a mess of Britain.
what the torys and blairites have done to britan will fade into insignificance to what the little englanders have started on

New Threads

Most Replies