UK to Name and Shame the Do-Gooders who live it up at the Tax-Payers' Expense - should Ireland do likewise?

picador

UK to Name and Shame the Do-Gooders who live it up at the Tax-Payers' Expense - should Ireland do likewise?

Foreign aid contractors that do not deliver value for money to be named and shamed under new plans 

Foreign aid contractors that make huge profits and spend taxpayers' money on lavish salaries will be named and shamed for the first time under Government plans.
The demand from Ms Patel (govt. minister) that contractors disclose their profits is particularly significant. Ms Patel last week said that the bosses of charities and aid contractors who enjoy six-figure salaries and bonuses while they are handed millions of pounds in foreign aid to fight poverty are "profiteering".
Recently it was revealed that millions were being spent on an Ethiopian girl-band.
Ethiopia's Yegna girl band receives £5.2m British foreign aid

Some of those who lecture us about migrants are on top dollar
David Miliband, the former Labour MP who is now president of the US-based International Rescue Committee, receives £530,922. His charity has been given £3.6m in British aid.
Helle Thorning-Schmidt, the former Danish Prime Minister who is now head of Save the Children, receives a pay and pension package worth £246,750 a year.
So, here's hoping the Brits come good on their threat. Maybe Ireland should do the same?

comet

£30 + million to a work of fiction called the `white helmets `, €5 million from Ireland.

Where did we all go wrong?

picador

£30 + million to a work of fiction called the `white helmets `, €5 million from Ireland.

Where did we all go wrong?
How much of that went to buy guns?

Analyzer

Ireland will not do the same because such a policy would reveal the largesse that is maintained by dodgy entities run by high profile scam artists who are presented as angels to the media.

Charity in Ireland is often a scam artist run racket.

darkhorse

I don't see why anyone working for a registered charity should be paid more than the average industrial wage
If you want to make money, then work somewhere else!

Clanrickard

I don't see why anyone working for a registered charity should be paid more than the average industrial wage
If you want to make money, then work somewhere else!
Yes but having a name like Milliband who was well known before or Thorning Schmidt an ex-Prime Minister, who is also a leggy blonde, attracts donors.

Lúidín

For this to work we would need a news media that is willing and able to report this information. Our journalist caste is too embedded in the cartel to dare publish such information.

Catalpast

Good idea!

I cant see it taking off over here though as the links between Government, 'Charities' and Big Business is one that in any healthy Democracy would be investigated by the Fourth Estate

- not so in this State.

I wrote up a post here some years ago that I researched that still leaves IMO questions unanswered by the current Leader of the Opposition

- one Mr Micheál Martin, T.D

http://www.politics.ie/forum/foreign-affairs/135015-fianna-fail-tullow-oil-uganda.html

Clanrickard

Analyzer

Let's hope the Home - Charities Regulatory Authority is given latitude.
I get the sense that this will end up like the IFRSA - a rubber stamp for all sorts of dodgy behaviour.

Or indeed the Irish Competition Authority who never seen anything amiss with the dominant brewing oligarchy, a media oligarchy, or a banking duopoly.

Really this is just a PR stunt to keep people obedient, gulluble and naive.

I am not buying any of it.

Analyzer

For this to work we would need a news media that is willing and able to report this information. Our journalist caste is too embedded in the cartel to dare publish such information.
Our churnalistic caste help the scam artists.

Go on, buy a bear, show you care.

One of the biggest scam artists I know is also involved in charity.

We don't need another useless quango. We need complete transparency down to the last paper clip.

Sister Mercedes

What'll they invoke to shut that down here ..."Right to Good Name" .... "Commercially sensitive information" ... "Data protection" ... "You can't compare what we do with anyone else" ... all of the above.

toconn

My son works for a very small and focused charity based in Dublin . The team is small and paid less than average wage whilst delivering great projects in Africa. Also produced a accurate and full report every year of activity, spend and where every penny went . Given great praise and then promptly told its funding is cut and finishing . Meanwhile larger more public charities who are being investigated for misappropriation of funds and money have their funding maintained ??? The stuff my son tells me about the larger charities and how they carry on is shocking and certainly opened my eyes as to who I should donate to .

DCon

Ireland will not do the same because such a policy would reveal the largesse that is maintained by dodgy entities run by high profile scam artists who are presented as angels to the media.

Charity in Ireland is often a scam artist run racket.

Often a retirement home for politicians, and friends of, too

Unlikely to get any real scrutiny from Leinster House, or the permanent Government, as a result

Cynicist

Some will
Especially after expectations are lowered after it becomes accepted
You are barking up the wrong tree. Charities need to be run professionally and efficiently and the AIW does not produce people of the calibre required.

You can go back to the old 'do-gooder' days of the past when Lady x and Sir y were the elites who ran charities and who used them in a patronising system to enforce and enlarge their own control over the poor and needy.

A good accountant does not come cheap, a good logistician does not come cheap, a good corporate fundraiser does not come cheap and f you pay AIWs you will get the unqualified who can not be held to account because they can always claim ignorance.

You need to look at the current governance and management selection processes of charities to see where the corruption of charities lies.
There is far to close a link between the political and corporate elites of society and the governance and management of charities.

The idea that charities should be run by those who do it out primarily of the goodness of their hearts is a recipe for unaccountable, non-transparent and non-results orientated charities and would not improve the problems of the sector but make them worse.

The Charity Regulatory Authority is an under-resourced sham and has insufficient powers necessary to provide charity oversight or regulation.

We need;
more professionalism, less nepotism,

more accountability, less 'take our word for it because we're good people' nonsense,

more detailed budgetary v spending information, less PR and stupid '3Euros will pay for a spade' fundraising,

more SMART objective and results, less heart-strings fundraising and reports which tell us nothing,

more professional and transparent recruitment, less recruitment through 'who you know' not 'what you know'.

New Threads

Most Replies