UK to require visas for EU nationals?

gleeful

The papers are reporting a split in the UK government over a proposal to require all EU nationals have visas before entry to the UK.

Home Secretary Rudd is pushing for a system where all Europeans would need to prove they have a job before being allowed into the UK. The details of how tourists and business travellers prove they are not job seekers is left to the imagination.

Presumably this will force the EU to reciprocate. I imagine it wont apply to Irish people, but would apply (presumably) to the 15% or so of Irish residents who are from EU countries. If there is no border between the UK and Ireland, is this not a giant loophole?

Interesting times.

Betson

Another Amber Rudd brainwave , such the one that would have required UK companies to publish the amount of foreign workers they employ.

I suspect this one will not see the light of day either.

Erudite Caveman

If you can't claim benefits and you don't have a job, there probably isn't much of an incentive to be in the UK long term. But yeah, it is another daft, unworkable idea from Rudd.

Spanner Island

The entire thing is going to be one big unnecessary mess...

No doubt the usual parasites will hover around it and make hay... the legal fraternity never miss an opportunity to over complicate things beyond comprehension in order to create never ending gravy trains for themselves...

I suspect Brexit will be no different... here, in the UK... across Europe...

As for visas being required... who cares?

If they go down that route then over time Britain will diminish itself further...

And yes... we (Ireland) are the patsies in all of this... to be used, abused, ignored, taken for granted and crapped all over by both the EU and the UK...

Hunter-Gatherer

soon the Brexidus from the UK will swamp little ireland. RiP our culture and identity.

statsman

The papers are reporting a split in the UK government over a proposal to require all EU nationals have visas before entry to the UK.

Home Secretary Rudd is pushing for a system where all Europeans would need to prove they have a job before being allowed into the UK. The details of how tourists and business travellers prove they are not job seekers is left to the imagination.

Presumably this will force the EU to reciprocate. I imagine it wont apply to Irish people, but would apply (presumably) to the 15% or so of Irish residents who are from EU countries. If there is no border between the UK and Ireland, is this not a giant loophole?

Interesting times.
I have to go there 12-15 times a year for work. This would be a nightmare.

paulp

I have to go there 12-15 times a year for work. This would be a nightmare.
unless Ireland was the only country to retain free travel, then it would be brilliant (for us that is)

gleeful

unless Ireland was the only country to retain free travel, then it would be brilliant (for us that is)
Its hard to see how that would work. People would fly via Dublin to bypass UK immigration (as they can now, as it happens).

Old Mr Grouser

The papers are reporting a split in the UK government over a proposal to require all EU nationals have visas before entry to the UK ...

Home Secretary Rudd is pushing for a system where all Europeans would need to prove they have a job before being allowed into the UK. The details of how tourists and business travellers prove they are not job seekers is left to the imagination ...
Where's the problem?

They can do it the way that it's done across the world.

People from places such as France and Spain will be able to come in as business visitors and tourists without a visa, and be permitted to stay for up to three months.

People from countries such as Romania and Bulgaria will always need a visa.

sic transit

Presumably you'd only need to renew every couple of years. But the queues in the airport would be a pain.
Return of green card nonsense from the 80s and 90s perhaps. It would be a particularly asinine move if they ever imagined getting a preferential trade deal with the EU.

gleeful

Where's the problem?

They can do it the way that it's done across the world.

People from places such as France and Spain will be able to come in as business visitors and tourists without a visa, and be permitted to stay for up to three months.

People from countries such as Romania and Bulgaria will always need a visa.
One of the (many) problems with that is how the EU will respond. Will all UK citizens need a visa to visit the EU? Or just UK residents of poorer areas? For example, perhaps those from Birmingham or Leeds would need a visa to visit, but Londoners would be exempt.

Betson

It seems like Hammond is the only one not playing to the crowds , Rudd is throwing these nonsense ideas playing to the Tory faithful.

If Hammond were to step down then you would really see the markets start to sh!t themselves with regards Brexit.

owedtojoy

Interesting times.
Crazy move.

The City of London relies on being able to hire the cream of young European financial talent.

Trying to regulate it will kill the industry.

More signs of the wheels coming off Brexit.

Old Mr Grouser

One of the (many) problems with that is how the EU will respond. Will all UK citizens need a visa to visit the EU? Or just UK residents of poorer areas? For example, perhaps those from Birmingham or Leeds would need a visa to visit, but Londoners would be exempt.
I don't see that the government has any particular duty to assist people with foreign holidays.

Isn't it more important that native-born women should be able to give birth in maternity hospitals - which they sometimes can't do at present because all the beds have been taken by women from elsewhere.

statsman

Presumably you'd only need to renew every couple of years. But the queues in the airport would be a pain.
My UK colleagues will just have to come meet me here or in Amsterdam.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies