UK university obliges Holocaust survivor to change title of speech

Lúidín

https://www.timesofisrael.com/uk-university-censors-holocaust-survivors-talk-over-israel-nazi-comparison/

Following 'intervention' by the Israeli embassy, Manchester University changed the title of a talk to be given by a Holocaust survivor. The talk was given by Marika Sherwood who told the Times of Israel:

“I was just speaking of my experience of what the Nazis were doing to me as a Jewish child,” she said. “I had to move away from where I was living, because Jews couldn’t live there. I couldn’t go to school. I would have died were it not for the Christians who baptised us and shared papers with us to save us.”

“I can’t say I’m a Palestinian, but my experiences as a child are not dissimilar to what Palestinian children are experiencing now,” she said.

The issue is not whether these comparisons are justified or sustainable but the right of people to make these comparisons and whether a university should prevent a person from speaking at the behest of an embassy.

PlanetBertie

It won't be long until speakers will only be allowed to talk to an empty room or a full room will be allowed to listen to an empty stage.

roc_

roc_

... “I can’t say I’m a Palestinian, but my experiences as a child are not dissimilar to what Palestinian children are experiencing now,” she said...
And we see from this statement that this woman has become entrapped in the net of Palestinian propaganda, heinous, insidious comparisons to the Nazis and all. - So the question is, should she be allowed perpetuate that heinous propaganda, particularly in view of the "authority" she brings to that propaganda, and in view of the present environment where antisemitism is on the rise again.

Dame_Enda

It's true. They are not being exterminated, but there are parallels with Kristalllnacht in that people are being marched off to indefinite detention with no rights of habeus corpus, mass property confiscation based on the crime of being Arab, and the property going to the colonisers like the Jewish restaurants given to Germans in Poland

RasherHash

And we see from this statement that this woman has become entrapped in the net of Palestinian propaganda, heinous, insidious comparisons to the Nazis and all. - So the question is, should she be allowed perpetuate that heinous propaganda, particularly in view of the "authority" she brings to that propaganda, and in view of the present environment where antisemitism is on the rise again.
You want to put this old woman in prison as well?

Israhell the zionazis apartheid state right or wrong.

Dame_Enda

If you are one of the majority of Jews of Arab Jewish emigree descent you probably don't identify as much with the Holocaust as a Western or ex Soviet Jew, as it nearly all happened in Europe.

roc_

“I can’t say I’m a Palestinian, but my experiences as a child are not dissimilar to what Palestinian children are experiencing now,” she said.
The real story in this is how even the occasional Holocaust survivor gets taken in by the Palestinian Arab NGO propaganda outfits in Ramallah.

EDIT - It goes without saying that we are not talking of denying the suffering of Palestinian children as a result of this conflict. But to compare it with suffering under the Nazi regime, and the causes underlying those experiences, is clearly something that emanates solely from the hate industry that is built on providing these stream of "stories", as per my link above. It has little connection with any meaningful reality.

Last edited:

RasherHash

It's a disgrace that zioNazis can call a halt to freedom of speech at a whim.

“Both of these events will to [sic] cause Jewish students to feel uncomfortable on campus and that they are being targeted and harassed for their identity as a people and connection to the Jewish state of Israel,” Freeman told Westlake. “I would be grateful if you could look into these events and take the appropriate action.”

The correspondence emerged after the Information Commissioner’s Office forced Manchester to disclose to a student “all correspondence between the University of Manchester and the Israeli lobby” between 1 February and 3 March. The release included Freeman’s email.

Mercurial

The issue is not whether these comparisons are justified or sustainable but the right of people to make these comparisons and whether a university should prevent a person from speaking at the behest of an embassy.
The embassy's argument was that the title of the talk amounted to hate speech, according to a definition adopted by the UK government.

The university should consider that argument on its merits.

GDPR

I cannot start threads but if I could I would start one posing the question as to whether the destruction of Kevin Myer's career by the organized self appointed voices of British Jewry was an incitement to sinful anti-Semitism? I think it was. Than this happens.

Congalltee

I cannot start threads but if I could I would start one posing the question as to whether the destruction of Kevin Myer's career by the organized self appointed voices of British Jewry was an incitement to sinful anti-Semitism? I think it was. Than this happens.
It's great that you can't start threads.

roc_

... an incitement to sinful anti-Semitism...
As opposed to un-sinful antisemitism, one presumes.

Which kind of makes the point here. - Judgements do need to be made about what constitutes hate speech particularly in the case of the Jews. - But people like Rasher and Ratio Et Fides would wish to be the arbiters of that judgement.

Of course nearly anyone can see they are the last people on earth who should have the responsibility of this judgement.

RasherHash

The embassy's argument was that the title of the talk amounted to hate speech, according to a definition adopted by the UK government.

The university should consider that argument on its merits.
The British gov shouldn't be adopting definitions made by tiny interest groups who are promoted and sustained by the apartheid state.

It lends credence to the idea that British Palestine/Israel policy is designed by zionists.

GDPR

As opposed to un-sinful antisemitism, one presumes.

Which kind of makes the point here. - Judgements do need to be made about what constitutes hate speech particulrly in the case of the Jews. - But people like Rasher and Ratio Et Fides would wish to be the arbiters of that judgement.

Of course nearly anyone can see they are the last people on earth who should have the responsibility of this judgement.
You see this anti-Semitic- "I highly doubt that Iran is trying to get an nuclear weapon because all the serious religious authorities in that country have condemned nuclear weaponry in very strong terms...."

:confused:

Last edited:

roc_

It's a disgrace that zioNazis can call a halt to freedom of speech at a whim.

“Both of these events will to [sic] cause Jewish students to feel uncomfortable on campus and that they are being targeted and harassed for their identity as a people and connection to the Jewish state of Israel,” Freeman told Westlake. “I would be grateful if you could look into these events and take the appropriate action.”
That is true. Why should he not point it out?

Listen, in 2013, the European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights found that almost a third of Europe’s Jews were considering emigrating because of anti-Semitism. In France the figure was 46 percent; in Hungary 48 percent.

And it is true that Jews in Europe today need armed police to guard them while they pray, and their children need armed protection at school. And when they go to university, they are insulted and intimidated because of what is happening in Palestine, and the rest of the world, and when they present their own view of the situation they are howled down and silenced.

It is true that Jews need protecting from the likes of you, and from your invidious message.

roc_

You this anti-Semitic- "I highly doubt that Iran is trying to get an nuclear weapon because all the serious religious authorities in that country have condemned nuclear weaponry in very strong terms...."

:confused:
Context.

You rabidly come to the support of any person, group, or country that attacks Jews and/or Israel.

It is in that light that I highlighted it. And in the light of the statements that precede it, that I listed in that post.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies