UK Warrant Out for Tippi Livni's Arrest

cactusflower

A warrant was issued in London on Sunday for Tippi Livni's arrest.

The legislation related to the treatment of civilians in war zones and the charges to Gaza.

The warrant was only rescinded when it became clear that she had cancelled her planned trip to London.

This was reported on Al Jazeera - sorry, I couldn't locate a link.

There are now serious discussions on the possibility of an arrest of Tony Blair. It makes more sense than jailing people who can't afford to pay for a tv licence.

Mitsui2

There are now serious discussions on the possibility of an arrest of Tony Blair. It makes more sense than jailing people who can't afford to pay for a tv licence.
Ah, but people who cant afford to pay for a tv licenc usually don;t have friends in very high places, & Tony has plenty of those.

brughahaha

Ah, but people who cant afford to pay for a tv licenc usually don;t have friends in very high places, & Tony has plenty of those.
True, but aren't they usually very fair weather friends........

Clanrickard

Where are the warrants for the leaders of Hamas, Fatah, the Mubarak family, Qadafi, the Chinese communist party, the Burmese junta etc?

Clanrickard

Also for Jack the Ripper. Any chance of staying on topic ?

Pro-Palestinian useful idiots in the West continue to demonise Israel. It is absurd to think arrest warrants are being issued against Israelis while infinitely greater crimes are being committed worldwide with not a peep out of the useful idiots. Tzipi LIvni is being portrayed as a human rights abusing monster which in the overall global context is a disgrace.

slx

Well, I'm glad that someone's attempting to give Israel a bit of an international reality-check. However, it is a little ironic that this is coming from the UK, given what they've been up to over the last while under de facto Prime Minster Bush.

I would also wonder about how important UK-Israeli links really are in this day and age?

The UK's primary concerns regarding the Middle East region are two-fold :

1) Secure oil resources:

These are held almost exclusively by arab states, so backing the Israelis is possibly not the greatest strategy. If you take a very cold, hard, economic view, any special-relationship with Israel is a bit of a liability in that region. While I am not saying that the UK's interests would be served by an unusually hostile relationship with Israel, it does seem like any 'special relationship' would be quite counterproductive in cold economic terms.

2) Counter-terrorism / prevent attacks on the UK / British troops abroad.

Israel's recent actions have if anything have stirred-up and intensified anti-UK and anti-American feelings in the Middle East due to the attacks on Palestinian civilians, so again, I don't really see why the UK would particularly want to be seen as a close ally of Israel.

It would seem that the best way to curb terrorism originating from that region would be to engage with the more forward-thinking, progressive predominantly muslim states (and there are still a few of those), and hope to influence the region. Engaging too heavily with Israel seems to undermine any efforts to do that as it immediately creates distrust.

So, really, I don't think Israel has a very strong hand in international relations anymore, it's even managed to alienate an increasingly large proportion of the Jewish community in many countries who were pretty horrified by its behavior in Palestine. This has massively weakened its influence in the US in the long term. I think Israel has taken the support of Jewish people around the world for granted, which is a big mistake.

Hopefully, reality might eventually dawn on the Israeli Government and it might properly engage in some kind of a peace process. The current situation is a road to nowhere.

reknaw

He has a lot of friends in pretty low places as well. :lol::lol::lol:

Lightning Rod

[...] So, really, I don't think Israel has a very strong hand in international relations anymore, it's even managed to alienate an increasingly large proportion of the Jewish community in many countries who were pretty horrified by its behavior in Palestine. This has massively weakened its influence in the US in the long term. I think Israel has taken the support of Jewish people around the world for granted, which is a big mistake.
+1

Clanrickard

This was hardly an attack on Hamas.

But the slow strangulation of Gaza is still going on.
Hamas fires rockets at Israel from crowded civilian areas. It is their fault that the above images are to be seen. I am sure there pictures of dead German kids when the allies bombed German cities in WW2 but no one was twittering on about proportionality then were they? If Hamas doesn't attack Israel and tries honestly to get a peace deal Israel won't attack and Palestinian kids won't be killed. Hamas cares not one jot for the Palestinian people as they are freaked religou8s nut jobs high on jihad and hell bent on imposing an islamic caliphate on the world. Yet the foreign minister of the democratic country who wants peace and has criticized the current government for foot dragging and has advocated a withdrawal from Palestinian territories is the one facing a court. You couldn't make it up.

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
The anti-lsraeli lobby has put in a fantastic amount of work scoring points off Kadima, a party that was elected with a mandate to seek a peace settlement. That the same energy has not been expended on chasing Likud. Why? Ultimitely is does not point to a pro-Palistinian agenda or any concern for the Palistinian cause at all. Likud will not seek peace and hence not subjected do the same vitriol Kadmina was and still is. Both pro-war Hamas and pro-war Likud get an easy ride from the anti-Israeli looby, while Fatah and Kadima get booted time and again. Hardly a coincidence, which makes the motivation highly dubious.

brughahaha

Hamas fires rockets at Israel from crowded civilian areas. It is their fault that the above images are to be seen. I am sure there pictures of dead German kids when the allies bombed German cities in WW2 but no one was twittering on about proportionality then were they? If Hamas doesn't attack Israel and tries honestly to get a peace deal Israel won't attack and Palestinian kids won't be killed. Hamas cares not one jot for the Palestinian people as they are freaked religou8s nut jobs high on jihad and hell bent on imposing an islamic caliphate on the world. Yet the foreign minister of the democratic country who wants peace and has criticized the current government for foot dragging and has advocated a withdrawal from Palestinian territories is the one facing a court. You couldn't make it up.
Well you indeed are making it up...... why do Hamas fire rockets on Israel?
Because Israel occupies and is colonising the little bit of land that the west left the poor Palestinians with after deciding the Palestians should pay for European anti-semitism

BTW care to mention one thinhg Livni did to help peace .... murder 1000 civilians in Lebanon maybe? or was it the following years 1000 civilian deaths in the Gaza Ghetto..... "a turkey shoot" as one IDF light unto nations put it

The rest of your post is just racist bilge and your reference to Palestinian (and human rights) supporters as idiots shows how pathetic your arguments are that you can only resort to adhominem attacks

The Caped Cod

UK prosecuting Isreal for war crime? Phrases "kettle and "black"....spring to mind..BTW when's the inquiry to what really did happen in the 7/7 bombings?
They'll get to it after they've cleared up Kelly's "suicide".

cactusflower

No child should be killed. The charges were about the reckless or deliberate killing of children.
By all means charge Hamas too for their killing of children if they attack houses with rockets.

These children were killed with their mother at Beit Lahia, Gaza.

Interista

This points to an interesting - and encouraging - new tactic by Palestinian groups, away from often pointless and immoral violent resistence towards focussing on undermining the 'legitimacy' of Israel by legal means. The World Court ruling on the illegality of Israel's wall was another case. While none of these actions have yet produced tangible results, it is to be hoped that over time, the cumulative effect will be to weaken Israel's standing and make their 'leaders' international pariahs. That it is occurring at a time when the power of the US is in visible decline, is anothe rreason to be very cautiously optimistic.

So, really, I don't think Israel has a very strong hand in international relations anymore, it's even managed to alienate an increasingly large proportion of the Jewish community in many countries who were pretty horrified by its behavior in Palestine
Good post, six.

As I've often said, Israel has only survived as long as it has because regional and international circumstances were very much in their favour. As the West declines, attachment to Zionism fades among 'diaspora' Jews and the 'demogrpahic balance' shifts inexorably in favour of the Palestinians, it's hard to see how Israel can have it so easy much longer. I agree with you that Western support of Israel has far more to do with misplaced guilt over the holocaust and the macinations of pro-Israel groups in the US I(and Britain to a much lesser extent) than to any consideration of real politik. Trouble is (for Israel) the Chinese, Indians and Brazilians aren't likely to be emotionally blackmailed in the same way.

Pro-Palestinian useful idiots in the West continue to demonise Israel.
Last time I looked, Israel was doing a pretty good job demonising itself without the help of anyone at all.

cactusflower

This points to an interesting - and encouraging - new tactic by Palestinian groups, away from often pointless and immoral violent resistence towards focussing on undermining the 'legitimacy' of Israel by legal means. The World Court ruling on the illegality of Israel's wall was another case. While none of these actions have yet produced tangible results, it is to be hoped that over time, the cumulative effect will be to weaken Israel's standing and make their 'leaders' international pariahs. That it is occurring at a time when the power of the US is in visible decline, is anothe rreason to be very cautiously optimistic.

Good post, six.

As I've often said, Israel has only survived as long as it has because regional and international circumstances were very much in their favour. As the West declines, attachment to Zionism fades among 'diaspora' Jews and the 'demogrpahic balance' shifts inexorably in favour of the Palestinians, it's hard to see how Israel can have it so easy much longer. I agree with you that Western support of Israel has far more to do with misplaced guilt over the holocaust and the macinations of pro-Israel groups in the US I(and Britain to a much lesser extent) than to any consideration of real politik. Trouble is (for Israel) the Chinese, Indians and Brazilians aren't likely to be emotionally blackmailed in the same way.

Last time I looked, Israel was doing a pretty good job demonising itself without the help of anyone at all.
Agreed - from the Jerusalem Post link -

At the the opening of the Knesset's winter session in October, Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu responded to calls for the indictment of Israeli leaders and soldiers over Cast Lead, saying that Israel would not allow them to be tried at The Hague.

"We will not agree to a situation in which [former prime minister] Ehud Olmert, [Defense Minister] Ehud Barak and Tzipi Livni, who sent IDF soldiers to defend cities and civilians, will be called to the defendants' benches at The Hague," Netanyahu said. "Israel's basic rights to self-defense and to exist as a Jewish state are under continued attack, which has become even stronger following the Second Lebanon War and Operation Cast Lead. Our first mission is to repel them."

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies