UK weighs billions of loans to Ireland

Anglo Celt

You are absolutely pathetic.

I presume Greece should return to Turkey, Iceland to Denmark, Latvia to Russia and Portugal to Spain by such logic? Or perhaps, given the scope of a worldwide economic and governmental crisis, all the aforementioned nations could try to get their finances in order and come back anew.
I don't recall saying the Republic 'should return' to anywhere. I merely pointed out that my forefathers predicted rome rule and economic backwardness as main reasons for their opposition to home rule and they've been vindicated on both counts. Spin it anywhichway makes you sleep better but the republic has been the poor man of Europe for much of its existence. Unless we address that (instead of the usual fobbing it off with - ah sure they're ad bad off as we are!) we're doomed to repeat it over and over.

But back to Ireland 2010....

Last edited:

vanla sighs

Glen beck discussing Ireland on fox now. ( sorry i was not realy watching)
We cancelled Faux News, we've other comedy channels already ;)

vanla sighs

Getting cash from the british, well, lets look upon it as compensation for the hideous crimes the british commited here over a very long period of time, lets take it and not pay it back, should have gotten it of them a long time ago.
That's more or less what I said to my sisters Scottish boyfriend who sent me a text from Scotland asking: How does Ireland feel about being bailed out by the UK? We can view it as compensation for their occupation and the 1840's genocide.

McDave

Oh good heavens, how predictable! "We might be bust but ye are just as bad!" Really, how thoroughly embarrassing. If the Irish are to be bailed out by the British then, for pity's sake, take the Queen's shilling with a bit of grace.
From today's IT: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/1117/1224283530746.html?via=rel?via=rel

What is even more unpalatable is that the UK contribution to our bailout puts our loss of economic sovereignty into even starker relief. Not to mention the ammunition for Britain's sneering tabloid media. The prospect is almost too much to bear!

Last edited:

Anglo Celt

what I want to know is did Glen cry?

Cassandra Syndrome

Gosh, a Nigel Farage Youtube video clip normally gets demonised by the fanatical Eurotrons around here. Not a stir from them this weather, what with the evident failure of the whole Euro and EU project manifesting.

Interesting that the Lisbon happy clappy kids are suddenly now giving patriotic lip service as the UK offers funding (of course over its own exposure and interests).

Pathetic.

Scipio

Oh good heavens, how predictable! "We might be bust but ye are just as bad!" Really, how thoroughly embarrassing. If the Irish are to be bailed out by the British then, for pity's sake, take the Queen's shilling with a bit of grace.
Embarrassing? Only if you're reading something that isn't there. An in trouble enterprise, whether that be a business or a country, will surely welcome cash from anyone who is willing to lend.

That hardly has a bearing on the rather pertinent fact that the "creditor" is nearly as bankrupt as the debtor.

EmigratedTBTF

With the royal bank of scotalnd owed 49 billion in ireland and uk backstop for that no surpise , as for 850 years of oppression least they could do

eyeSpy

off all the hands that might feed us, the British pill would be hardest to swallow.
but tough times......

bormotello

Not only loans, Ireland is the most important market for UK
British prime minister David Cameron told the House of Commons yesterday that Ireland was an extremely important trading partner and the UK’s own economic health could suffer if Ireland ran into major problems.

“If you look at the Irish economy, Ireland is an enormously important trading partner with Britain. It’s a fact that we actually export more to Ireland than we do to Brazil, Russia, India and China combined.
Cameron says no pressure from UK - The Irish Times - Wed, Nov 17, 2010

Anglo Celt

Despite bringing down the wrath of Dev on me here, we are a natural unit - the UK & Ireland - you know it makes sense :D

eyeSpy

Despite bringing down the wrath of Dev on me here, we are a natural unit - the UK & Ireland - you know it makes sense :D
Feels like your moving in on a girl who has just broken up with her boyfriend:

'There, there' *throwing the arm around her* 'we never should have broken up'

'Get off me you weirdo!'

Anglo Celt

Feels like your moving in on a girl who has just broken up with her boyfriend:

'There, there' *throwing the arm around her* 'we never should have broken up'

'Get off me you weirdo!'
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7IGRNWVQkc]YouTube - Joe Jackson - Breaking Us In Two[/ame]

yellowfish

off all the hands that might feed us, the British pill would be hardest to swallow.
but tough times......

just say look, thanks for the offer of help but we actually cant stand you and if we borrow the money we will still bitch and moan about you and probably blame you even more for making us feel bad.

I mean if that's how you feel then say so. But if you don't say no then please be kind enough to not whine about it. Thank You.
As a resident here, i say yes, but as a Brit i think their is far to much sneering at others and not enough introspection and self analysis from many posters. I almost wish every British and European taxpayer could see some of these threads before their money is parceled over.

Green eyed monster

just say look, thanks for the offer of help but we actually cant stand you and if we borrow the money we will still bitch and moan about you and probably blame you even more for making us feel bad.

I mean if that's how you feel then say so. But if you don't say no then please be kind enough to not whine about it. Thank You.
As a resident here, i say yes, but as a Brit i think their is far to much sneering at others and not enough introspection and self analysis from many posters. I almost wish every British and European taxpayer could see some of these threads before their money is parceled over.
This is (as far as i can see) really about paying off the bondholders and preventing some systemic fallout (as a result of an Irish default) from developing which could burn Britain or the Euro.

Please, lets not have any more nonsense about an altruistic motive.

yellowfish

This is (as far as i can see) really about paying off the bondholders and preventing some systemic fallout (as a result of an Irish default) from developing which could burn Britain or the Euro.

Please, lets not have any more nonsense about an altruistic motive.
Then say thanks but no thanks, or recognise the fact that the loan works for all parties and use that as a point of negotiation, But don't hold your metaphorical nose and bleat about how the British are the last people you want to borrow off. (i am referring to a number of posters.) Just say no and explain you don't like the lender or trust their motives.
i am sure they will understand.

Green eyed monster

Then say thanks but no thanks, or recognise the fact that the loan works for all parties and use that as a point of negotiation, But don't hold your metaphorical nose and bleat about how the British are the last people you want to borrow off. (i am referring to a number of posters.) Just say no and explain you don't like the lender or trust their motives.
i am sure they will understand.
Fair enough and i actually agree with you, it has nothing to do with Anglo-Irish politics really, any bailout should only be seen in a wider European context, in a strictly financial context - to do with the health of markets and the Euro and technical issues like that which are of common interest to numerous nations.

We were governed by devil-may-care fools wtih the foresight of lemmings but part of the reason they were able to run us on a massive credit spree was because of the Euro, the failure of the ECB to exercise any kind of moderation or give any advice and the willingness of some of the biggest names in Int Finance to loan some of our notorious institutions the credit to go on a spree in the first place... The cause of the mess is not resident in Ireland alone.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies