UK weighs billions of loans to Ireland

eyeSpy

just say look, thanks for the offer of help but we actually cant stand you and if we borrow the money we will still bitch and moan about you and probably blame you even more for making us feel bad.

I mean if that's how you feel then say so. But if you don't say no then please be kind enough to not whine about it. Thank You.
As a resident here, i say yes, but as a Brit i think their is far to much sneering at others and not enough introspection and self analysis from many posters. I almost wish every British and European taxpayer could see some of these threads before their money is parceled over.
I have no big issues with my neighbours apart from the odd offence caused by the press or media there. Sections of the media there seem to be delighting in our misfortune, that's why I think it will be hard to accept bilateral help. Then again there's plenty people here who would be pleased they have been proved right about the illusion that was the tiger conomy.

Of course we have long baggage issues too. But how would the Brits feel about a bilateral bail out/loan/whatever you want to call it from France? Or Germany? Uncomfortable I'm sure it would be. But as I said, beggars can't be choosers.

Baled out by de brits, jaysus tings is tough and dere cribbin about parkin me merc on de footpat outside st. lookes. Bleedin ell

yellowfish

Fair enough and i actually agree with you, it has nothing to do with Anglo-Irish politics really, any bailout should only be seen in a wider European context, in a strictly financial context - to do with the health of markets and the Euro and technical issues like that which are of common interest to numerous nations.

We were governed by devil-may-care fools wtih the foresight of lemmings but part of the reason they were able to run us on a massive credit spree was because of the Euro, the failure of the ECB to exercise any kind of moderation or give any advice and the willingness of some of the biggest names in Int Finance to loan some of our notorious institutions the credit to go on a spree in the first place... The cause of the mess is not resident in Ireland alone.
I am glad we agree, for my part i think we (I have lived here since 2003) had some right to believe that the financial institutions were regulated efficiently and that if things should go bad the gamblers, including bond-holding gamblers would be the ones to lose.
Their are a lot of things wrong with this country and we can solve most of them. But the stupidity of private financial institutions should not be our burden to carry and if bondholders decided to buy into that stupidity (one presumes with an eye to a profit) tough.
Now i acknowledge i don't know much about economics, but i think the country making itself responsible for banking gambling debts is madness.
No doubt i am just economically illiterate.:confused:

A view from England

I have no big issues with my neighbours apart from the odd offence caused by the press or media there. Sections of the media there seem to be delighting in our misfortune, that's why I think it will be hard to accept bilateral help. Then again there's plenty people here who would be pleased they have been proved right about the illusion that was the tiger conomy.

Of course we have long baggage issues too. But how would the Brits feel about a bilateral bail out/loan/whatever you want to call it from France? Or Germany? Uncomfortable I'm sure it would be. But as I said, beggars can't be choosers.
No-one is delighting in your misfortune. It affects many here in the UK who have Irish family, friends and relations (like me). Some people are having a chuckle at your politicans who are not covering themselves in glory and who, in the past, have lectured the rest of Europe on how to run their economy but I think the vast vast majority of us in the UK have some sympathy with those who through their own fault find themselves in the ************************. I do however have little sympathy with those who are seeking to blame others for Irelands mess.

maxthedog

What fools ever believed that we coulfd survive as an independent and sovereign country outside the U.K.?

Re-joining the the U.K. doesn't look so far fetched now, eh?
Rename Cobh too Queenstown and Howth to Kingstown is the only stipulation, after that the Brits will give us the cash.

AHH Righttt Mate!

C

Cass

What fools ever believed that we coulfd survive as an independent and sovereign country outside the U.K.?

Re-joining the the U.K. doesn't look so far fetched now, eh?
Delusional again Keith. Keep taking those tablets. It will never happen. You seem to know little about your fellow countrymen. I would advise moving to the UK as you'll die a very unhappy man here in Ireland.

Anglo Celt

I would advise moving to the UK as you'll die a very unhappy man here in Ireland.
Well he wouldn't be alone though would he? How many thousands of Irish people have ran for cover in good old Blighty since this state was founded? :roll:

Arracht

Well he wouldn't be alone though would he? How many thousands of Irish people have ran for cover in good old Blighty since this state was founded? :roll:
Not enough judging by a lot of the comments on this site!

Anglo Celt

Arracht

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
Delusional again Keith. Keep taking those tablets. It will never happen. You seem to know little about your fellow countrymen. I would advise moving to the UK as you'll die a very unhappy man here in Ireland.
Put it another way. What possible justication is there for Ireland remaining a (notionally) independent country after this week?

C

Cass

Yes people did. We were hardly going to be a success over night after years a oppression. How many died and emigrated when we were in the UK? what's that? yes millions. No matter what, we will always be better off and happier. One things for sure, we can expect nothing from the likes of to make this country great.

Anglo Celt

What would I need bullets for? I certainly wouldn't be forcing you to stay at gunpoint :D
If you just shot all those who disagreed with you, you know, like Dev and your pals did, you wouldn't have this problem at all petunia

Arracht

People were emigrating in their droves long before independance.

No one is denying that we're in sh1te at the moment but we've been in a lot worse positions before in our history and survived. We'll survive this too.

Anglo Celt

Yes people did. We were hardly going to be a success over night after years a oppression.
Over night? It'd been nigh on a century Cass. :lol:

Years of oppression? There were moments where you might call some of it oppression, but after Catholic Emancipation, realistically Irish people enjoy the very same freedom (or lack of it) that everyone else in the UK did. IIRC land ownership in Ireland was greater than any other part of the United Kingdom.

But this is all history, and we're talking about the present....

C

Cass

Put it another way. What possible justication is there for Ireland remaining a (notionally) independent country after this week?
Look at the North, do want that sectarian hell-hole that just avoided a civil war extended to the rest of the island? We're a peaceful country, if we were in the UK, we wouldn't. Simple really. And of course we aren't British.

Arracht

If you just shot all those who disagreed with you, you know, like Dev and your pals did, you wouldn't have this problem at all petunia
Yeah, I feel sorry for what we did to the peace loving servants of the British Empire in our selfish attempts at freeing our country. Sure they never caused any harm to anyone. :D

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies