• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

UK's New Immigration Laws

Ulster-Lad

There is a spate of new immigration laws to be introduced in the UK today. All of the measures will be announced at the Queens speech today but one thus far I just saw on Bloomberg is that Landlords in the UK will be required to check the immigration status of tenants.

Private landlords will be forced to check the visa status of tenants or face fines of thousands of pounds to tackle fraudulent immigration to the U.K., under plans to be announced today by Queen Elizabeth II.
U.K. to Make Landlords Check Tenants

David Cameron will today make his most concerted effort yet to prevent a stampede of his core vote to UKIP by unveiling measures to stem the flow of EU migrants to Britain, including imposing fines on private landlords if they do not check the immigration status of their tenants.

Landlords will face fines of thousands of pounds under proposals due to be unveiled in the Queen's speech today.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/may/08/queens-speech-curb-eu-migrants

This is probably the classic example of closing the barn door after the horse has bolted.

Last edited:

TheWexfordInn

The Queen's Speech will include a parliamentary bill aimed at making it easier to deport foreign criminals and those who enter the UK illegally.
I wonder if this is anything to so with the talk of exiting the ECHR over the inability of the UK to deport Abu Qatada following an ECHR ruling.

emulator

I wonder will this be another British Government policy our Government will adopt ?

Time will tell....

Trampas

The UK Labour Party has admitted that the Blair/Brown govts made the proverbial hames of it over there. In particular Labour has accepted that throwing open the UK labour market (2004) to 70 million east Europeans was a great mistake. No doubt FF will now come out and accept that Cowen's decision to open our labour market was similarly irresponsible.

kvran

and place new responsibilities on EU member states to pay if their citizens use the NHS.
Anyone got figures on how much UK citizens in France, Cypruse, Malta etc. cost the health care system there, considering the amount of retirees ...

I see Lawson is mentioned again. I wonder how leaving the EU would affect him considering he lives in France.

Also since when are migrants allowed claim jobseekers benefits? I can't go to Germany and claim welfare unless I've been paying tax for x amount of time, you can't claim welfare here without fufilling habitual residence clause.

Have I missed out on a load of free money or are we talking about welfare fraud?

"welfare tourism" will be discussed at the next JHA council, after UK, NL, AT and eh ... someone else wrote to Shatter about it. So it should hopefully clarify what it is and is it widespread.

Also anyone want to quote the EU article that allows migrants to claim welfare?

It seems to be a national issue to me.

Migrants are allowed transfer their welfare for awhile to seek work in other countries but I am not aware of articles that allow them claim welfare in another member state. So if I go job seeking in France, the social welfare office in Ireland will pay into my bank account for 4 weeks or so while I am job seeking in France.

While not one for focusing on politics of personality, I don't have much faith in Teresa May to actually introduce solid legislation in this area. She has screwed up everything else she has touched.

seabhcan

The UK Labour Party has admitted that the Blair/Brown govts made the proverbial hames of it over there. In particular Labour has accepted that throwing open the UK labour market (2004) to 70 million east Europeans was a great mistake. No doubt FF will now come out and accept that Cowen's decision to open our labour market was similarly irresponsible.
To be fair, FF did put in limits on social welfare for new arrivals. UK Labour didn't seem to do that.

kvran

Was it? Whats the evidence for that?
Was it just media pandering?

In Ireland migrant labour filled many roles at a time it was needed and many have returned home now.

Analyzer

and this is where we touch upon the essential difference between FFinished and the British Looper Party.

FFinished never admit to any phuckups, even in the midst of massive public disengagement.

Ulster-Lad

Anyone got figures on how much UK citizens in France, Cypruse, Malta etc. cost the health care system there, considering the amount of retirees ...

I see Lawson is mentioned again. I wonder how leaving the EU would affect him considering he lives in France.

Also since when are migrants allowed claim jobseekers benefits? I can't go to Germany and claim welfare unless I've been paying tax for x amount of time, you can't claim welfare here without fufilling habitual residence clause.

Have I missed out on a load of free money or are we talking about welfare fraud?

"welfare tourism" will be discussed at the next JHA council, after UK, NL, AT and eh ... someone else wrote to Shatter about it. So it should hopefully clarify what it is and is it widespread.

Migrants are allowed transfer their welfare for awhile to seek work in other countries but I am not aware of articles that allow them claim welfare in another member state. So if I go job seeking in France, the social welfare office in Ireland will pay into my bank account for 4 weeks or so while I am job seeking in France.

While not one for focusing on politics of personality, I don't have much faith in Teresa May to actually introduce solid legislation in this area. She has screwed up everything else she has touched.
This might answer a few of your queries?

Britons held hostage by foreign hospitals | Mail Online

NewDawn1

This is probably the classic example of closing the barn door after the horse has bolted.
To some degree. But right wing pressure in the UK is starting to win the debate. And it is only going to continue in one way :)

seabhcan

The EU has a system in place for refunding hospitals for treatment of nationals from other member states. The HSE uses it extensively and the NHS pays the HSE hundreds of millions a year for all the UK retirees who live here. In Holland they are very strict about it and wont admit someone without a EHIC card. The NHS is just a bit crap at following up on these things - so they don't get paid. NHS hospitals never seem to ask for a EHIC card.

NewDawn1

But by this point the large companies that sucked up the benefits from the very cheap labour have already smiled and gone.

realistic1

There is a spate of new immigration laws to be introduced in the UK today. All of the measures will be announced at the Queens speech today but one thus far I just saw on Bloomberg is that Landlords in the UK will be required to check the immigration status of tenants.

U.K. to Make Landlords Check Tenants

Queen's speech to feature new curbs on migrants from EU | UK news | The Guardian

Cannot see our FF,FG,Labour Lanlords supporting anything similar in Ireland. Only for the unrestricted immigration of non-EU migrants, our Political landlords would have a lot of empty properties, mainly because the native Irish have emigrated.

Ulster-Lad

I wonder if this is anything to so with the talk of exiting the ECHR over the inability of the UK to deport Abu Qatada following an ECHR ruling.
That is probably part of it but the rise of UKIP is playing a part here as well IMO.

seabhcan

Cannot see our FF,FG,Labour Lanlords supporting anything similar in Ireland. Only for the unrestricted immigration of non-EU migrants, our Political landlords would have a lot of empty properties, mainly because the native Irish have emigrated.
I wouldn't support it because its a stupid idea. I would support actual border control, which we have never attempted as a nation. Almost uniquely in the world, we have no exit controls, and so no possible way of determining if someone overstays a visa.

TheWexfordInn

Under the EHIC card system each country pays for the costs incurred by its citizens on any other countries Health Care system so UK citizens cost those other health care systems nothing. In fact the UK is providing a significant amount towards the provision of healthcare in those countries, with convenient timing there is is an article in today's newspaper which provides some stats.

The EHIC card entitles you to free state medical care throughout Europe.
Cardholders should be treated like a resident of the country they are visiting. In exchange, citizens of other EU countries get NHS treatment in Britain. But Britain gets much less back than it pays in under the scheme.
Last year, for example, it gave £7.9 million to Greece, but only received £500,000 in return.
Spaniards got £247.3 million, but Britons received only £3.2 million in Spain.
Read more: Getting hospital treatment on holiday | Mail Online

JacquesHughes

The page on welfare.ie entitled 'Bilateral social security agreements with other countries' seems relevant. It seems to be a national issue. It's a little unclear to me if some contribution to both the countries is neccessary by the punter. There's such an assumption of adequate records, accurate identification, honesty by the giver and taker of social security, that the whole thing seems to be an invitation to welfare tourism.

Advice: keep your own records of what you paid in. You'll need them someday.

realistic1

are you mad? They will do no such thing, do you not realise how many properties our FF landlords have rented out.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies