Ulick Burke is standing down from Galway East

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane

Glucose

The fact that 2 FG sitting TD's are stepping down has to increase the chances of Labour's colm Keavney taking a seat. He was already performing well and is geographically well placed around Tuam.

Or either FG is about to pull Declan Ganley out of the bag.

athenry

Surely today's result in Donegal confirms one thing. The Gilmore Gale becomes a gentle breeze once you move out of Dublin. I live here. I listen to what people say. Labour will not win a seat here.

spotty

The cackling sound coming from that bloody volcano is getting louder.

Goodbody

Are TD's rushing to retire before 12/31 so that their lump sum will still be tax free?

gijoe

Feck me! I thought it would be FF TD's that would be beating a path to the retirement door but its the FFers instead.

gijoe

Are TD's rushing to retire before 12/31 so that their lump sum will still be tax free?
They will have to resign to beat that deadline - unless the government lose the budget vote.

holymoley

13 years in the docks and when it looks all but certain they will make up the next governmnet, the two FGers jump ship. In fairness both of them are at retirement age but you'd think they would want to get into government after so long. Is Cannon most likely to gain from this or have the other two fg candidates from 2007 a better chance now. I won't mention DG until he has confirmed it for sure he is running.

athenry

13 years in the docks and when it looks all but certain they will make up the next governmnet, the two FGers jump ship. In fairness both of them are at retirement age but you'd think they would want to get into government after so long. Is Cannon most likely to gain from this or have the other two fg candidates from 2007 a better chance now. I won't mention DG until he has confirmed it for sure he is running.
Helps Cannon considerably. Barton isn't running. FG now must decide if they will pursue four candidate strategy that worked very well last time. With no sitting TD now in the race they might have to change plans.

turdsl

Barton is a tremendous loss to the country in general by not running. I know people who have been voting F.G. for 50 years and Cannon will not get their vote.,

LgCastell

i have to say it is a good sign there are a lot retiring if you look at the Dail its full of old men at least now some fresh faced people might be brought in if you look at both Galways
theres

Michael D Lab
McCormack FG
Possibly Frank Fahy

Paul Connaughton
Ulick Burke both FG
Michael Kitt FF

Then when you look at Treacy and Grealish who might struggle to get reelected Galway looks like a very exciting area ....

Focusing on Galway East i think FG will def run Cannon a female candidate might go down well here as there is no female on the ticket but looking at tuam theres no one there what other LEAs make up Galway East

McHugh or Barton might get the nod but would they have anything to offer in the Dail?

there must be at least one seat here for FF considering three were in the top five last time out but i think they'll need to look around for a young good candidate and it might be hard for a newbie to run under the FF banner to act as a sweeper for Treacy

As for Lab this does boost his chances 4 seats where 3 sitting tds are not running he should make some in roads there

I think to call it we'll have to wait for the selection of FG and FF when are they due any idea?

Rocky

There isn't a chance that either of them would have been Ministers or even to be honest Junior Ministers.

Rocky

Helps Cannon considerably. Barton isn't running. FG now must decide if they will pursue four candidate strategy that worked very well last time. With no sitting TD now in the race they might have to change plans.
I don't know that about Barton and that's a big loss for FG. He seemed very good.

bagel

Dr Barton might change his mind now that he's almost guaranteed a seat.
One of Treacy's canvassers assures me he's retiring.
If Kitt announces retirement first, then Treacy may seek re-election.
Both know theres only 1 seat between them.
Neither want to spend 20K & fail to get elected.
I'm led to believe Treacy has underlying issues which may force him to retire regardless.

Result, not in order of election:
Keaveney or McHugh or Canney, Keaveney to squeeze in.
Barton, if he runs.
Kitt or Treacy or AN Other Zanu candidate if the incumbents retire.
AN Other FG candidate, but not McHugh and hopefully not Connaughton Jnr.

FG 2, Lab 1, ZanuFF 1.

alltheway

Dr Barton might change his mind now that he's almost guaranteed a seat.
One of Treacy's canvassers assures me he's retiring.
If Kitt announces retirement first, then Treacy may seek re-election.
Both know theres only 1 seat between them.
Neither want to spend 20K & fail to get elected.
I'm led to believe Treacy has underlying issues which may force him to retire regardless.

Result, not in order of election:
Keaveney or McHugh or Canney, Keaveney to squeeze in.
Barton, if he runs.
Kitt or Treacy or AN Other Zanu candidate if the incumbents retire.
AN Other FG candidate, but not McHugh and hopefully not Connaughton Jnr.

FG 2, Lab 1, ZanuFF 1.

What did connaughton jnr do wrong?

bagel

What did connaughton jnr do wrong?
Nothing that i'm aware of.

Political dynasties have done little to enhance our State.
Jnr's father is the epitomy of whats wrong with politics at national level in this State, ie clientellism.
I don't want more of the same.

Nothing personal in Paul Jnr's case, just politics.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies