• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Ulster Bank says sorry in GAA row

former wesleyan

Pathetic.

TrueBlue84

Pathetic.
Would it be right for their employees to wear Linfield jerseys if Linfield ever got back to the Setenta Cup final?

But then sure its only the harmless GAA, its not like they are the vile supporters of terrorism now is it?

Chrisco

Would it be right for their employees to wear Linfield jerseys if Linfield ever got back to the Setenta Cup final?

But then sure its only the harmless GAA, its not like they are the vile supporters of terrorism now is it?
Gold star.

weepee

Interesting that Unionists complained about bank staff wearing sports shirts in support of their county, yet haven't a problem with the same bank having to close for the 12th July.

Domhnall

A bank is a bank. It's there to make money. They need to keep their customers' & don't stand to do that by offending one community or another. The bank isn't "taking sides". It's not a victory for any political view. It's a business decision. Get a real problem.

st333ve

Maybe the bank could donate a few skull caps for the Grand wizards to drink from, in the interest of fairness.
After all they supported a harmless sport, surely in the name of balance they should also support medieval blood and war obsessed military style cults.

oboe

There's not much of a row here. McCausland went out of his way to feel offended about local people celebrating an unfortunately rare event and he went looking for his share of the pie. Fair enough

oboe

LOL. There's no soccer cup final in Ireland that can even remotely compare to an All Ireland final either as a sporting occasion or a community event.

Ard Eoin

if they were Linfields sponsors the yes...it would be fine...

Iarmhi Gael

There's not much of a row here. McCausland went out of his way to feel offended about local people celebrating an unfortunately rare event and he went looking for his share of the pie. Fair enough
Absolutely......

What next a few Lodge members getting upset with a few schools kids collecting for their underage GAA team in Tesco's.... Oh Wait!!!!!!!!

Jaymac

Never mind that Ulster Bank sponsor the All-Ireland Championship and a member of their staff was playing in the Down team... How outrageous.

vinoboy

Given political sensitivities in NI ,I do not think it was appropriate for bank staff to be wearing GAA shirts , the workplace is supposed to be a neutral enviroment for all staff and customers.

eoghanacht

Only in NI

eoghanacht

As a responsible stakeholder in society the Loyal Orange ............

That did make me laugh

idle tim

Maybe the bank could donate a few skull caps for the Grand wizards to drink from, in the interest of fairness.
After all they supported a harmless sport, surely in the name of balance they should also support medieval blood and war obsessed military style cults.
Maybe they should fund a refuge for "Traumatised Goats",or fund a campaign to teach those not of an Orange persuasion how to cross a road safely when a 12th parade is taking place,better still maybe they should donate a large sum of money to the Order in exchange for an undertaken from the Order to take their annual walk on the surface of some far of Planet where the liklihood of offending nearly half the population will be minimised and the atmosphere far less intense.
As for the Ulster bank official who issued the apology,i can only think of Spike Milligans response to Prince Charlie for a compliment he paid him,,,,,Grovelling BAAAAAAAAAAA...........!

Iarmhi Gael

Given political sensitivities in NI ,I do not think it was appropriate for bank staff to be wearing GAA shirts , the workplace is supposed to be a neutral enviroment for all staff and customers.
When is a wokplace supposed to be a neutral environment for customers?

Can you show me where I can get details on this? This is massive if so.

Sync

t reads: "I am obviously aware of the discomfort caused to your members as a result of our support for the Down gaelic football team. I can assure you that we had no intention other than to celebrate their success in the All-Ireland championship.

"You will appreciate that Down's first final appearance for 16 years generated a lot of interest, especially since a colleague based in our Newry branch plays for the team."

The letter continues: "If we failed to control our enthusiasm in participating with other businesses in Castlewellan's "red and black" celebrations, then I sincerely apologise. I hope you will accept that our actions were in no way intended to be provocative, and that any offence we have caused is entirely unconventional."
Really ought to have stopped after the first 2 paragraphs. The original letter didn't complain about the wearing of tops, it was just a request for sponsorship. Why put your companies name to an apology when no request for such was made? Idiot bank manager.

SevenStars

Again its not enough for them to be supporters of terrorism....They have to be vile supporters of terrorism.

st333ve

The GAA supports terrorism, what a pile of crap.

Jesus you people seriously need to stop acting like hysterical white supremacist apartheid era fools.

The closest thing to 'supporting terrorism' would be a GAA ground named after one of their members who died during the troubles, but that wasn't the GAA who named the club.
The club is run and named by the local community and the GAA had no influence or power to prevent this name.

The OO like the KKK has had members who murder and spread VILE hatred about other people they deem inferior.
There is no debate about this, it's fact.
People kicking a football ball over a cross bar is not comparable.

Popular Threads

Most Replies